Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

BUSA Fokker DVII

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

BUSA Fokker DVII

Old 09-25-2007, 07:05 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: BUSA Fokker DVII

some pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90239.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	770129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24203.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	770130  
Old 10-08-2007, 01:48 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently bought a set of these plans from Balsa USA...

I received 5 sheets of plans and a great building book, But for the life of me I can't find some of the ribs on the plans? I have started making up my templates so I might get a kit knocked out for this winter.. But I am missing a bunch of the rib outlines...

I haven't sent an email to Balsa USA yet ,but my plans don't seem to show ribs 3,4,5,6,8,9,10,11,12,13 ...? I figured that the plans they sell were fairly complete. All the missing ribs are on the top wing in the area where it transitions from the thick center to the thinner outer section...

Any help appreciated..
Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My kit came with a small sheet with those ribs on them....I think it was around 11x17 or so.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:46 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes I got that sheet..it was an addendum to the plans to help Identify some of the ribs i guess.. i sent an email to Balsa USA and they said there plans wern't intended for scratchbuilding? That seems strange to me .....anyone out there have a tracing of some of the ribs by chance? I know I often trace parts for future repairs..
Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a Balsa USA Fokker DVII. It is about 2 years old but only has a dozen flights on it. It is in great shape and I am told it weighs about 22 lbs. The G-38 that came with it didn't look too good, and I've never been a G-38 fan anyway. So I am going to re-power the airplane. I started studying engine weights and found the following: G-26 59 oz., G-38 71 oz., G-45 79 oz, and DA-50 58 oz. I was surprised that the all up weight of the DA-50 with ignition and a 4 cell battery was no more than a G-26! Shocking. So I rested the engine in the nose and started studying it and it just looks good. I called BISSON Mufflers and they are making me a PITTS style canister like the one in the picture but with a single exhaust pipe out the starboard side of the plane. It will swing a huge 24 X 8 prop and I can always throttle back so I don't rip the wings off. Climbs should be spectacular. I now have to decide how much thrust on the engine. I was thinking about 3 deg. down and 1 right. Comments are appreciated. What do you think of this DVII on steroids? Leo

Name:	Qo40534.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	782023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57272.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	782024  
Old 10-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Highflyer2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DA50 would be an excellent chice for this aircraft. I built the one reviewed by Jerry Smith in MA a couple of years ago. I used a G26 for power and it flew scale with very little reserve power. I just loved flying this plane, but at a warbird event at Ted Cowens field in Opelika AL strong crosswinds turned my plane into a kite after the string breaks. Whats ironic is that I had already decided to upgrade to a DA 50. In fact my wife called to tell my the engine had arrived at the house just after I totaled the plane. I'm sure I could have handled the wind with the extra power of the DA50.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:03 PM
vertical grimmace

The DA 50 should be interesting. Be sure to check the balance. This in one situation where you actually want a heavy engine. With my G38 I still needed 2 lbs. of nose weight.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Ralf strutter

Funny, I was thinking of a ZG62 with a 24x8" [sm=72_72.gif]
I let go of the idea because I thought it should be way too large
But if you need the noseweight anyway...(and you already have got a ZG62)

I always like to have a little extra reserve power on board, and if you only use the throttle when necessary..
The ZG62 growl will sure sound good at low revs
I think it will fit inside the cowl when equipped with a silencer pot at the backside
Anyone experience with this combo?

Ralf
Old 10-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Ralf strutter

And the least thing you want on a bipe like this is an engine screaming at full power to stay aloft [:'(]
Better to put in a little more on forehand and fly also in stronger winds if necessary

Ralf

Old 11-27-2007, 01:40 PM
vascrats

Hello all!

I recently purchased the BUSA DVII kit as I have always been a big fan of the DVII. I have been flying RC for about two years now and can fly aileron warbirds pretty well. I have put together some ARF kits like the GP Electrifly DVII but have never done a full build like this. I plan on taking my time and not rushing the kit together.

First off, how crazy or delusional do you all think I am for attempting this kit at this time?

Secondly, do you all know of any good build threads with good pictures of the steps? I would have to guess there are not many as I am sure people building this kind of kit usually have an excellent idea what they are doing.

Any advice or informational links for someone getting started like me would help me a great deal.

Thanks!

Phil
Old 11-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Redwulf__34

Hey Phil,
I see your from Roanoke. I'm up the highway here in Harrisonburg. I have seen a good many decent threads. Here is one, [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5488840/anchors_5488840/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#5488840]First Post[/link] here is another, [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1850738/anchors_1850738/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1850738]2nd Post[/link] If you decide to start a thread let me know. I'll tag on. I came across a set of plans for the 1/4 scale DVII from Jerry Behrens. I may try to tackle it here soon. It will be scratch as nobody that I know is kit cutting it. The only hard part will be the cowling. Well, there will be plenty of hard parts!

Sean
Old 11-27-2007, 02:05 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil, look at it this way, it will take you over a year (maybe more) to build this plane if you lead a busy life, kids, family, work, house, responsibilites (all things that happily interfere with our hobby). You will learn a lot building this bird. A lot of fun and satisfaction (not to mention learning) will happen before you finish your DVII. You will learn to soder steel wires, an many, many things more.

The good news is that in this forum an at least another one there is a lot of info about building this particular bird. Another thing that helps is that the parts are kind of big, and easy to work with.
Many people would start by building the wings (2 big ones and one small), then the tail parts, and finally the fuse. Believe it or not, if you follow the instructions of BUSA line by line, and ask for help when you need it, you will end up with a plane you can be really proud of, eventually.

If it is your first plane of the type, and you do not have building experience, maybe you can find somebody willing to give you a hand in your club. One of the things that complicate our lives quite a bit is that we try to add more and more scale details (as we gain experience) and that has the tendency to slow us down (it does to me). Therefore, I would recommend (since it is your first of the kind) to keep it "sport scale"... When built and rigged correctly Fokker planes are easy to fly.

There are a lot of guys with tons of experience in this forum, that will undoubtly give you all the advice you need, and even some yo do not:-)

Good luck! I have been building a Fokker DVIII last winter, I will re-start and finish it this winter. I am in no real hurry either:-) Well, maybe I want to finish the DVIII in order to clear the shop and start building a DVII...

Gerry
Old 11-27-2007, 02:27 PM
vertical grimmace

While I would never discourage anyone from building a kit, I think you might want to at least build another kit before this one. Get a hold of a sig 4-star or something like that. This will at least give you an idea of the process.
Also I you might want to use regular wood glue (aliphatic resin) That way you have mare time if you make a mistake and you also have to think about the fit of your parts a little more.
The DVII was great fun to build and went very smoothly but it still took me 1.5 years to finish. I added quite a bit of detail, plus I did the Losenge fabric thing. That probably added 2 months to the build. Use Solartex, keep it light, keep the tail lighter and take your time. Any questions you have will be answered here. There is actually a new thread going on this build right now.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:29 PM
transponder

Hello Ralf,

Nice to meet you up here. Nice topic also. It looks familiar to me. [sm=lol.gif]

Martin
Old 11-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Prop Nut

I will have to disagree with VG, he made some good points but in this case I think the DVII is a very easy kit to work with, as easy as the 4-Star (in its own way) that I built many moons ago. Balsa USA has excellent instructions with plenty of pictures, there are soo many threads dealing with this build that questions are very easy to find answers for. I worked on mine like mad and built it in six weeks (with a full time job, family, etc), but I didnt bother upgrading the scale looks, just did it the way the instructions mention...except for the four stroke conversion Briggs that I used. I do understand that this is your first kit build, but it is a good one to work with and you will enjoy it. The cowl was the only thing that I found annoying and only because it was, fit, trim, fit, trim, repeat. Do study the instructions before building, get to know the parts of the kit so you dont use the wrong one, mark everything will big lettering. The instructions and adendum lay everything out pretty well. Do a search here for Balsa USA Fokker DVII and you will get many good threads. I recommend a thread on RCScalebuilder.com also. Search there for Balsa USA DVII, a guy named Gary did a fantastic build with many pictures that will help out.

Name:	Ca82012.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	813578  
Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 PM
vertical grimmace

Another reason why I recommended a smaller "practice" build is since you have never built a kit before, how do you know you are going to like it? It can be tough to stay focused on such a large project and IMO this is quite a bit to bite off the first go around. Now I suppose if you decided to give up, I am sure you could sell your kit if need be.
There are many areas where skills need to be developed- Covering, sanding, soldering, checking for alignment and incidence. Now maybe these will be no problem but I would be surprised to be honest. Now my opinions are based on not knowing your (Phil) background otherwise.
I want to say though, go for it! If you have the desire and are excited about the build you will be successful and the members of these forums are very generous with their help. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:35 PM
vascrats

Thanks for all of the input so far guys. I am very excited about trying this build. A good number of years ago I built an Aerostar .40 trainer where I had to build the kit (wing and all) and cover it with monocote. I think it turned out pretty well even though I never got around to flying it. The ease of electrics got me in the hobby before the Aerostar.

Please do not think I am being cocky or whatever by trying this ambitious build. I have seen people jumping into the flying aspect of the hobby with little respect for the skills it takes to fly and I have seen them fail miserably. I have the greatest respect for the skills and attention to detial you guys posess and I fully understand and appreciate the points VG is making. This becomes more clear as I read through the build instructions and run into terms and such that are new to me. I am trying to read through the instruction book completely, step by step first trying to make sense of each step as well. Some steps are not completely clear right off but that may be due to not having the parts right in front of me to visualize it better. Right now there are questions that do come up but overall it does not look as dubious as I first thought it might. At this point I think covering and is going to be my biggest concern as I am sure it is much more involved than ironing on monocote but I am a long way from that.

I also realize that my finished product is not going to look anywhere near as nice as some of the amazing planes you all have put together. I am simply trying to do the stock build with no excessive details and hopefully end up with an enjoyable flying plane that at least looks good from 15' away. If I can manage that for this build I will be more than pleased. If I manage that then I will apply what I learned on another build down the road and hopefully keep improving.

I will keep searching for build photos but most of what I have read so far has delt with paint schemes and landing gear mods. It would also be nice if the pictures in the BUSA manual were a hair bigger and not as dark.

I will let you all know when I start the build. I need to get my table in order and get some of the needed tools first.

Thanks for the input and encouragement so far!
Phil

P.S. Sean, come spring time I may have to arrange to come up and see you fly or check out some of your work if that is o.k. by you.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:07 PM
vertical grimmace

Maybe by the time you get ready to cover, BUSA will have the Losenge fabric available. It would be nice to be able to just iron that stuff on.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:12 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Maybe by the time you get ready to cover, BUSA will have the Losenge fabric available. It would be nice to be able to just iron that stuff on.

Waaaaaiiiiit a minute! It has to be available, I purchased a roll from them at the Warbird Over Delaware this summer... I will use it on the DVIII. Unless they sold me a roll from their test run... It does look OK, and they were selling the fabric at their trailer.

Gerry
Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 PM
vertical grimmace

I have not asked them about it but it only appears as coming soon on the website. It is not available to be added to your cart. I knew they had examples out there. So does it look OK? I am actually blown away by how good the Glenn Torrence looks but it takes some time. It would be nice to have an alternative. Even if it were of diminished apearance slightly. So long as the price was reasonable.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Redwulf__34

P.S. Sean, come spring time I may have to arrange to come up and see you fly or check out some of your work if that is o.k. by you.
That would be great Phil. Bring an airplane along and fly! You won't see much great here from me. I'm just getting back into the sport. I haven't built or flown in more than 20 years. I now have a 5 and 2 year old both boys. It's funny how when kids come along us men seem to gravitate back to our roots. I guess we want our kids to experience what we experienced.

But anyway, I completely agree with VG in how much longer things take! I've done a lot of building in my past and consider myself an experienced builder. There are a lot of new techniques for me to learn but I know what I'm doing. I decided last January to scratch build an Ugly Stick from my dads old 1960's Jensen plans. I figured no problem to be flying by spring. Well, it's now almost January again and I'm hoping to paint this weekend!!!!!!!!!! 1 hour of build time with the boys around equals about 5 minutes of build time in the real world!

Stay in touch!

Sean
Old 11-30-2007, 12:42 PM
vascrats

Sean, I will try to PM you my home email address soon to keep in touch from time to time as not to clutter this thread I guess.

Well, I don't know if I have already made my first mistake with this plane. When I ordered the BUSA kit, I ordered the motor they recommended on the site (from Horizon) at the same time. After finding these good forums (particularly the RCScaleBuilder site, which does have more of the build photos and such I was looking for- Thanks prop nut) I am a little worried about the G26[]. It sounds like BUSA should be recommending the G38 from what it sounds like more people seem to prefer. Another thing about the G26 I did not realize is that it is a gas/oil mix where the G38 looks like straight gas. I have mixed for 2-strokes before so I don't realy mind that. This may seem like a silly question but you all knew they were coming. I have used weed eaters and know how much of a time I have starting them and keeping them running reasonably, is the G26 a better mannered engine than your run of the mill weed eater engine? I hope so as this engine alone cost more than any entire weed eater I ever purchased. What also surprised me was the G38 seemed to be the same price at Horizon as the G26. I should have done more research on the forums before ordering the G26 and possibly gone with the G38 I'm afraid. I guess I am also a little worried about the G26 having enough power now as well. If I am just looking for scale looking speed and not feeling like she is going to stall all the time, is this motor going to be o.k.?

Phil
Old 11-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Prop Nut

BOth are gas/oil mix. Only a four stroke is straight gas. I have a buddy that flies the DVII with a G26 and it has tons of power. The difference is in how much scale details you add (AKA how much weight you add) His looks awesome and flies great stock.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:06 PM
vascrats

That comforts me a bit, thanks prop nut!

Another question, will I be able to use the stock muffler on the G26 or will I need to purchase something else?
Old 11-30-2007, 05:57 PM
vertical grimmace

I am using the stock muffler with my g38 and it works great and sounds really good. That is really too bad that you got the G26. Now I do not know what altitude you fly at, but here at 5,000', I would have problems getting mine in the air. The DR1's I saw this past summer with the g26 did OK but I personally would not commit to using that engine on this plane.
Now, I would either sell it or hang on to it and get another smaller plane like the Nieport, sopwith pup, or DR1. I really feel you need close to 40cc for this plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.