Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

BUSA Fokker DVII

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

BUSA Fokker DVII

Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 PM
vascrats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BUSA Fokker DVII

Well, the G26 is sitting here and what I have to work with. I have my entire Christmas (gift wise) tied up in this plane, motor, and soon to be radio. Unfortunately selling the brand new engine for any kind of loss or plunking out another $300+ for another kit to put it in are not options for me at this point. I can't get over how some say this motor is just fine and some would not even try this motor. I guess this is one of those 'individual results may vary' deals. Anyway, I guess if anyone reading this is actually flying the DVII with the G26, I would love to hear from you!

Well, the radio has not been purchased yet. Can you all tell me what your opinion of the Spektrum DX7 would be? Would I need to upgrade the servos or anything else from the components it would come stock with? Hopefully I can have good control of my anemic DVII anyway.

Phil
Old 11-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Highflyer2
My Feedback: (1)

Phil,

I built and flew the BUSA DVII that Jerry Smith reviewed in the July 2006 issue of Model Aviation. It was a great flying plane as long as the wind did not exceed 10mph. Anything higher than that the plane became a kite without a string. The 20lbs of weight, large wing area and maxed out G26 are a recipe for disaster in the wind. The day I lost it to the wind at a Warbird event in Alabama a DA50 was delivered to the house. I was planning on swapping engines after the event.

Please don't get me wrong. The G26 is a great power plant for this plane (don't exceed 20lbs) but you will have NO reserve power left for any emergency. Good luck on your build.

John
Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am wondering though, would it be possible to return/exchange your engine? The G-38 is basically the same price if I remember right. I am sorry you were mislead, but BUSA seems to be adamant about not overpowering their planes. They like to think they will be flown in a scale manner. I agree to some degree, but it is nice to have that little extra for wind and such.
If you do go with the g26, building it very light will be needed. I came in at 19lbs with the doped fabric which includes the 2 lbs of nose weight. I am sure you will need even more nose weight than that.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:31 PM
JohnF

You guys who are scratch building should get the Gary Allan DVII plan from Model Airplane News. I think you'll find the wing ribs to be more scale and the l/g too. His plan really builds a nice DVII. Heck, you could kit bash the BUSA kit using the Gary Allan plan.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Redwulf__34

You have a link to that plan John? My Jerry Behrens are very scale looking. They are definately for an experienced builder.

Sean
Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 AM
JohnF

[email protected] <[email protected]> You'll find the plan here under "scale". They did an article on the build and flying also.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:09 AM
vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: JohnF

[email protected] <[email protected]> You'll find the plan here under "scale". They did an article on the build and flying also.
Thats an e-mail address not a link.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:46 AM
JohnF

Oops, sorry. Try www.modelairplanenews.com then go to the "store" at the bottom of the left side bar and click on plans.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:52 AM
JohnF

PRICE: $29.95
fsp02981

Fokker D-VII

Descriptionesigned by Gary allen, this 1/4-scale Fokker D-VII uses traditional balsa and plywood construction and many standard, off-the-shelf hardware items. Originally powered by a SuperTigre 2500 glow engine, the D-VII would also be ideally
Additional Information: powered by a Zenoah G-38 or G-45 gasoline engine. WS: 88 in.; L: 69.5 in.; 4 channels; 4 sheets
Difficulty Level: LD3
Old 12-01-2007, 03:22 PM
jtisch

Here is my "hybrid" DVII.It's the black one.

It started off as a AZM ARF but has a new nose,tail,LG,struts,top decking,wingtips and ailerons.I used the Allen plans(which came with the kit ) as a guide but also used ideas that I took from my Glenn Torrence,Proctor and Gary Sunderland builds and just used whichever technique I liked for each structure.

The Allen plans are pretty good but it still has a flat tail section.It really isn't that hard to build a tail with the scale airfoils.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:53 PM
vertical grimmace

I did not know that Fokker's had an airfoil in the tail. Even the full scale I have seen seemed to be flat.
Who's losenged Rudolph stark model is that? It looks really good. (along with your black version)
Old 12-01-2007, 03:58 PM
vascrats

O.k., you convinced me, the G26 went back to the LHS and I have the G38 and a Spektrum DX7 on the way. All I have to do is pay the shipping of the G26 back to Horizon. Having flown a lot of electrics, I know how it is to have launched the plane thinking the wind was in your favor only to have the wind pick up all of a sudden leaving you struggling to get the thing landed in one piece. That stress was with a $250 plane. I could not imagine the sick feeling of havng ~$1200+ plane getting blown away![X(] Not only the money, but I could see how dangerous that could be as well with the size of these things. Another factor is my relative newness to all of this. Even without detialing I will probably end up with a heavier than ususal DVII and need the extra power. I would also enjoy the extra power if I get the plane in a bad situation. All in all I think it makes the most sense.

Trying to keep it simple and in line with my abilities I am thinking of going the pushrod route for the tail surfaces. Is that a bad idea? I know the pull-pull systems look more scale but is a pull-pull system over the pushrods the same situation as the G38 over the G26 in the sense that they would technically work but not recommended. Like I said, I would like the simplicity (and familiarity) of the pushrods but once again I don't want to build an unsafe plane.

Phil
Old 12-01-2007, 04:40 PM
jtisch

I think you made a wise choice,vascrats.I know the plane CAN fly on a G26 but since weight and room are not a factor,why not have the extra power?The G38 will sound better,too since it doesn't have to be at full power all the time. At the Dawn Patrol in event (shown in my last pic) there were DVIIs powered by G26,G38,G62(!) and Laser 300 engines,plus my Briggs and Stratton 4-stroke gasser.All fly well.

VG,it sure is a thin airfoil,but it is definitely there and the tail is not a "flat plate". The Stark DVII I believe belongs to Gus Stussman(sp?). It's a beauty.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:16 PM
vertical grimmace

Vascrats, I don't mean to pile on but I really want you to save yourself some greif I experienced with my build. Now that you have the right engine coming think about getting these items as well.
A Bennett built fuel tank, cup mount and spring starter. The tank he offers is superior to any other tank in that it does not use a stopper. Gas tends to blow stoppers out if they are not the right brand (dubro). I am using the 32oz. You will need an engine mount and the cup mount worked great.
The spring starter you will get differing opinions on but in the end you will love having it. Unless you like standing there flipping props get this. I know the G38 is easy to start but it is even easier with the spring starter. You will need the nose weight anyway.
I had RF problems with my plug cap but since you are using a DX7 that should not be an issue. Here are some links. http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page4.htm
http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page4.htm
Old 12-01-2007, 07:53 PM
vascrats

VG, piling on does not bother me...my wife on the other hand...

Two questions 1) What is the cup mount for? Is it only needed if you use the spring starter?
2) Any thoughts on the pushrods for controling the tail surfaces?

Thanks!
Phil
Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 PM
vascrats

One more thing!

VG... Is this the 32oz tank you are talking about...

[link]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=B%2BB1050[/link]

My LHS guy orders from horizon and if this is the tank I should get, I will try to add it to my order Monday before he puts it in.

I had purchased a standard dubro 16oz tank. You think it would blow out stoppers? That sounds like it would be heck on the plane's finish[:'(].

Jtisch... Those are some nice looking DVIIs! I have always liked the purple scheme like on the one next to yours. Maybe too much lozenge for my first plane (even though I love the look of lozenge).
Old 12-01-2007, 08:30 PM
vertical grimmace

Yes, that is the tank. You will be very pleased with it. The hardware and design are so simple it makes life very easy. No tube bending!
The cup mount is needed so you have some clearence between the engine and the firewall. The G38 does come with a mount but it is very thin and will have your muffler hitting the firewall. It may be required for the spring starter but I am not sure. I bought both at the same time. They come with all hardware and make mounting your engine easy as well. I canted the head of my engine over to about the 2 O'clock position and it worked great without having to cut any holes in the side of the fuselage. Basically how it shows in the instructions.
As for the cables; The main reason to use these are because they are lighter for the tail. I also mounted all of my radio gear and servos in the fuel tank compartment. You must think light tail throughout the build in every process. The cables are not hard to do and I actually ended up using spiderwire fishing line. If anything, maybe you could use long music wire in nyrod tubes or I think sullivan makes a product called "laser rod" which is composite. I went with the cables for scale effect. Both my DR1 and DVII use them without any issues.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:44 PM
vascrats

Thanks VG. I guess I have a while before having to decide on method for controling the tail surfaces.

I do want to get the servos on the way as it looks like I need some aileron servos at hand while building up the top wing panels.

What should I look for in servos for this plane? I will be using a DX7 and I would imagine the servos that come with that will not be adequate for 1/4 scale. I guess I will be needing 5 of them. Any direct references from Horizon's site would help a lot. I will have to be somewhat budget minded at this point as I think I am starting to eat into next Christmas' gift allowance.

It also is about time to shut up and build up. It won't matter how I should control the tail surfaces if I can't get the wings built.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:28 AM
vascrats

Anybody have recommendations on servos for this plane if I am going the pushrod route? I would like to stay in the $40.00 range if possible. I believe Spektrum's site says their DX7 will work with any current 3-wire servo out there.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Highflyer2

vascrats,

The hitec 645mg at $32 - $35 would be a very good choice.

John
Old 12-05-2007, 01:49 PM
vascrats

Thanks Highflyer!

Well the new G38, cup mount, B&B fuel tank, and Spektrum DX7 have come in!
Now if I can only get this build started...
Old 12-05-2007, 02:00 PM
bhole74

Several things. 1. The G-38 will be a good choice and I do recommend the B&B spring starter and cup mount. 2. 32 oz tank? hope you have a big battery pack or a way to kill the engine from the radio in the event the throttle servo or linkage takes a dump. 32 oz. should give you about 1 hour of flight time. 16 oz. is better IMO. I have never had a problem with a DuBro tank with the appropriate brown gas stopper. If it makes you feel more comfortable, use a Sullivan aluminum stopper. 3. Don't worry about weight! Mine flies excellent at 24 lbs with the G-38 and maidened it at the Western Front Dawn Patrol in Omaha with 30 mph winds. 4. HS-625 on ailerons and HS-645s everywhere else is sufficient.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74272.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	819139  
Old 12-05-2007, 02:29 PM
vertical grimmace

I would prefer a 24oz tank but BB does not make one. I think 16 is too small. I went big. Personal preferance here. Very unlikely that you will lose your throttle control if everything is set up properly. An RC kill switch would be very easy to set up as I think Great planes sells one.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 PM
bhole74

I use the GP switch and it works great. I also fly my D-7 with a 16 oz. tank and use just about 1/2 tank of the fuel in a 13 minute flight. A friend just had a throttle problem not long ago without a way to kill his engine. 32 oz tank, BME 50, throttle stuck at 1/3, flew for almost an hour before ditching the plane. It still had 2/3 tank left. ALWAYS have an alternate way to kill a gas engine.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
vascrats

Sweet picture bhole!

I have a while to decide on which tank I put in. I actually have a dubro 16oz tank as well. I am not sure about the stopper though. Are you saying the 'GAS' stoppers are brown in color?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.