Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

EIII rebuild help

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

EIII rebuild help

Old 08-11-2004, 12:42 PM
angelspushing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EIII rebuild help

and mine definitely does not have internal bracing wire nor functioning bungee on the main undercarrage.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:25 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone here on RCU first told me about the metal wheel covers when I started the following thread and when I checked my sources he was indeed correct. Stupidly about a month before I got into RC (last Feb.) I sold a pair of beautiful Proctor spoked wheels on eBay that would have been perfect for the EIII. I had no idea I'd be getting into RC let alone scale RC. I don't suppose I would have had the heart, though, to cover them up so just as well!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17.../anchor/tm.htm

Finding the pot took a good three weeks of scouring the countryside. I looked at every dollar store under the sun and eventually found the camp set at the local Army Navy -- it was the only one left as most campers don't want to use aluminum anymore. I was initially worried because it looked too large but in the end it really looks perfect -- just like the 3-views even if it is just marginally too big. I still have the larger 9" pot for some subsequent larger project (for example a Nieuport 11 in 1/4 - 1/5 scale maybe). It took about two days of work with the dremel to cut it down.

On the engine, yes, this started out as a WB 2" scale Le Rhone kit but was heavily modified both to increase the total diameter (which was way too small for my 1/6 scale EIII) and to make it more like the Oberursel. Below is a link to a thread where I detail the conversion.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/WB_L...1996822/tm.htm

Since my plane was intended to fly (and probably land HARD since I'm a newbie pilot) I figured it'd better have working suspension on the undercarriage! As per the original, it has independent suspension allowing different travel for each wheel (this was a real innovation at the time the EIII was designed). But this leads to some complicated geometry that necessitates movable attachments of the various legs and also a hinged joint where the main legs meet the fuse. It took FOR-EVER to think up a solution!

Finally on the photos, I had waited all day to take the "glamor" shots in the best light possible. I ended up going over to the local high school about 6:00pm and started taking photos about 6:30. By 7:00 the light was really getting nice. I had finished up a basic series and thought "why not try a couple against the sky?" I had my boys hold it up with the sun coming in from the right side and I did the "fashion photographer" think and moved in and out shooting from about three feet away. I've worked professionally as a photographer (travel photojournalism, stories on Yemen, Vietnam, Oman, Kamchatka, etc.) so the compositon was just sort of intuitive. I got off about 10 shots before theboys started complaining (as teens are wont to do). Of the 10 shots only one really have the perspective I was after and needed only a bit of cleaning up (I removed some telephone wires from the lower right corner). Since I normally shoot slide film I'm used to the compressed tonal range of digital. PS CS Shadow/Highlight function sure it great though! I always amazed at how people spend all this time building a stunning scale model and then only take a few horrible snaps of it!

BTW, here are a couple of other threads that were invaluable during the build. Everyone here at RCU was so generous with their advice, I feel like my EIII is really a joint project.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19.../anchor/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_18.../anchor/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14.../anchor/tm.htm
Old 10-10-2004, 09:46 PM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

Finally had a chance to work on my EII today. I fixed the broken wing and have some super coverite antique on order to recover shotly. I removed the engine and adapted a (fake) mount for a prop as I am definately leaning towards this becoming a static model to hang of the ceiling.

I am still unable to correctly identify the origin of this particular model, 3 Sea Bees say it is not one of theirs (I think because of the non-scale horizontal stabilizer) and it is not a BalsaUSA due to the size and wing-warping. I don't think it matches a Proctor size kit either and is definately not a SRBatteries. It would be nice to figure out its origins....

Here are a couple more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91624.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	181490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73128.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	181491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92188.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	181492  
Old 10-11-2004, 12:52 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say the wing-warping actually works on this??? With its fat airfoil (like the BUSA airfoil) and that MASSIVE trailing edge, I can't imagine there would be much give in this wing. Maybe that's what caused the crash that destroyed the wing. Sometimes it's not really worth resurrecting the dead.

Why not order an New BUSA Eindecker 40 and have some fun with it? At least if it ends up as a static display at least it will be your own.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:39 PM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

I think it is very likely that the wing-warping caused its crash! It uses two servos and the clevis to the servo horn for the one for the left wing wont stay on the horn now, that may have been the cause of the crash since nothing had been repaired when I picked up the plane.

There is some flex in the wing that I think together with rudder would be sufficient to fly around gracefully but it is too nice a plane to risk. Like you said, the BUSA kit would be a good alternative for a flying version leaving this one static. I am sure the Saito 65 that was on my EIII would go well with this kit also!