Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

The Skyfarer, coming off very soon!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

The Skyfarer, coming off very soon!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Skyfarer, coming off very soon!

Here's an interesting project that I am working on, am building this one for my 13 years old grandson to start polishing his scale flying
skills.
Had a wing of a H9 80" J-3 Cub (that he crashed when I wasn't looking, my fault) laying around and we were looking around at what to build for that wing, which had only had minor damage to a wing tip and some scratches, I accidentally logged into a web site that featured some of Earl Stahls rubber powered designs and couldn't believe the accuracy to scale outlines this man kept on all of his incredible drawings, I downloaded all of them for future projects, as they are excellent to build from scratch now that computers make it so easy to enlarge all parts exactly to the size we want, and the Skyfarer was the winner this time around. This airplane has some goodies that the real one didn't have, like wheelpants and flaps and working rudders (I believe they (General Aircraft) were trying to compete with the Aircoupe as far as safety is concerned as it was the selling ticket back in the early '40's.
Well, the fuselage side and formers are all made of light skin door material with the use of some hardwood dowels reinforcing the big belly curve, the cowling was made of balsa sheets glued on three ply formers, pretty much the same for the wheelpants which were fiberglassed same as the cowling to make the wood impervious to the daily rigors of flying with a four stroke engine (OS 70), projected overall flying weight will be around 8 1/2 lbs. Finish will be Ultracote and paint for trim colors and all paint for the cowling and pants of course, should be ready in 3 or 4 weeks at the most, please forgive the mess in the shop, but hurricane Charlye kind of went through it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15794.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	164295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33886.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	164296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60700.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	164297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72140.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	164298  
Old 08-15-2004, 09:18 PM
Walter D

Default RE: The Skyfarer, coming off very soon!

Here's two more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76232.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	164299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11813.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	164300  
Old 08-15-2004, 09:27 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Want a cool grampa you are! I want one too!
Old 08-16-2004, 07:20 AM
Walter D

He, he, he ! Please provide birth certificate, who knows you might still qualify!
Old 04-01-2021, 05:46 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been researching this aircraft and have found a set of plans by "DICK KATZ SCALE PLANS" available from Nick Ziroli, how did the
aircraft you built using the Cub wing fly? I know this thread is 17 years old but do you have any photographs of the finished airplane?