Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Home Made Decals

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Home Made Decals

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 05:49 PM
JET FX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Made Decals

Has anybody tried using home made decals? If so what/ how???
I just got a quote from one of the decal manufactures and nearly fell over at the cost...
I figure if I can find decals from a plastic kit, scan them into my computer, then enlarge to size I need then print onto decal paper, this could work???
Apart from possible low pixel image quality this should work...
So where can I find A4 size decal paper for my printer?
Old 08-06-2002, 02:46 AM
rcalfred

Default Decals--Again

www.micromark.com. Has water slide paper for both laser jet and ink jet printers. Used it for the decals on my Lockheed Vega Winnie Mae. Worked great. After applying I clear coated them using clear Polytone paint. Regards.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:52 AM
JET FX

Default decals

Thanks Al, do you know if decal paper is only obtainable through similar companies to the one you suggest or is there a more readily available source eg office supply stores etc. Any pics of your Winnie May, I would love to see how these decals turned out...

Cheers-
Old 08-06-2002, 07:14 PM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DECAL MAKING

Marty,

Try going to the small scale plastic models as they usually have some good write-ups on how to make decals.
Try this website. I have seen some write-ups on the subject there

http://www.clubhyper.com/referenc.htm

Browse there...some good information in there besides decal making.

Regards

Reuben Saliba
Malta
Old 08-06-2002, 08:19 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default more decals

If you do a search on "homemade decals" you will get a couple of threads that will fully answer your questions.

The search engine is a nice feature

Dan
Old 08-06-2002, 08:22 PM
F86_SABRE

Default DECALS

Marty,

Click here:

http://clubhyper.com/reference/aungs...stomDecals.htm

Very informative article

regards

Reuben
Old 08-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Schwoop

Default Home Made Decals

Marty,

With laser copying and color inkjet technology out there today, you're nuts to spend money on someone elses decals when you can make your own (provided you have a pc and access to a color printer).

I started as a plastic model guy and began making decals a few years ago and have since "scaled up" the work for my RC warbirds. It does take a bit of time, but the results are well worth it!

I use a decal film (both clear and white backed - since 95% of printers won't print white) purchased at HobbyTown USA stores for plastic models.

Scan in your artwork and scale to appropriate size. Here's where your graphics skills are tested... To get a good print without jagged edges, blur, or any other nasty effects, you have to make sure of a few things:

1) Make sure you scanned your artwork and save it at a high resolution: at least 300 dpi (dots per inch) otherwise it will always produce terrible results on the printer.

2) You may have to do some touchup work, if not redraw the entire image, using your scanned copy as a tracing image. This is where the time comes in.

3) Use a fixative immediately after the print comes off the press. You can use Testors Gloss Clear spray paint - 3 full coats, no less. Otherwise the toner and fuser or ink will crack off.

Then apply it like other water adhered decals. Finally coat the entire plane's finish with a fuel proof fixative.

I'm building a Sureflite Me-109 with the markings of Adolf Galland -can't find decals like his (mickey mouse under cockpit) anywhere on the market!

Hope this helps,

Craig
Old 08-07-2002, 06:36 PM
F86_SABRE

Default DECALS

Craig,

See if this is what you are after?

Reuben Saliba
Malta (Europe)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20429_3500.gif
Views:	43
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	12806  
Old 08-08-2002, 10:28 PM
Schwoop

Default Home Made Decals

That's it!

Did you redraw this-?-it looks a bit different from the one I'm using--but still awesome!!!
Old 08-08-2002, 10:36 PM
heavy date-RCU

Default Home Made Decals

Do a search for Tango Papa decals. His are done on an ALPs printer. They are as good as you can get and look like paint.

I have all the gear to do my own now. I got an ALPS printer and Corel Draw. The decal paper I get from Tango Papa as it is never older than 2 months. Makes a big difference.

To really make good decals I suggest you check out the how to page at Tango Papa's site. It is very well done and pretty easy to do.

Once you make your own, there is no limit to what can be done. It is great to be able to mark a model and know that no one else has the same markings.
Hans
Old 08-09-2002, 01:31 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Default Fuel proofing decals

Hey Schwoop, and anyone else: I made some decals using Micromark products and a commercial laser printer. Then I fuel proofed them by spraying Lusterkote clear and a Coverite clear. Both have yellowed some over time. (No problem with fuel,tho).

Does the Testor's fuel proofer stay truly clear? I would like to bet back to making some more decals without the yellow tint!!!
Old 08-09-2002, 02:52 PM
JET FX

Default DECALS

Hi guys, thanks for the input so far, lots of great info here! I have just bought some 'Experts Choice' white decal film, its made by Bare-Metal Foil. I plan on trying for the first time to print out my own decals for my 1/5 scale MIG15. I have scanned a set of Tamiya 1/48 scale MIG 15 decals at 300dpi, I will resize and play with the colour using Adobe photoshop.... I have been recommended to use 'Future' furniture polish brushed on to the newly printed decals before application, anyone used this method???? my only concern is if the 'Future' (acrylic) polish will be compatible with polyurathane clear coat to seal model.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:01 PM
F86_SABRE

Default DECALS GERMAN SQD

Craig,

This one?

Reuben Saliba
Malta
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2002, 07:35 PM
F86_SABRE

Default DECALS - ME109

Craig,

or this

Reuben
Malta

Name:	20719_3500.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	12808  
Old 08-14-2002, 11:22 PM
heavy date-RCU

Default Decals

One other thing I should mention. You really need to use a program like Corel Draw for making decals. Photo shop and other photo programs are raster programs, which means the more you enlarge the decal, the worse it looks. Corel Draw is a vector based program so you can enlarge the decal and it will stay sharp.

As for printers, ALPS works the best and can print in white so you can use clear decal paper. Laser printers work O.K. but you are still working with ink and it can run all over before it dries. The ALPS uses a dry ink that is water proof so there is no running problem.

I am not sure if ALPS ink is fuelproof or not. I have never tried it without a clear coat over them.

Not trying to sound like a printer salesman, but thought you would like to know the best way to go about it.

You should really go to Tango Papa's web site as his instructions for making decals is great.
Hope this helps out a bit. Have fun making your own markings!
Hans
Old 08-15-2002, 02:32 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Default Home Made Decals

Dear Sirs

For decal paper I would go to BELART.COM. Buy it in bulk and save a ton of money. Its probably where the hobby guys buy it from.

I made 1/7 scale BF 109 marking scanning pics from my books and modifiying them to my needs.

They off to KInkos for a laser copy.

Experiment for your own applications.

Steve
Old 08-15-2002, 02:40 AM
Merlin65

Default Home Made Decals

A cheaper alternative to CorelDraw is Xarax. A demo is available at http://www.xara.com/products/xarax/

This little vector program was used to make the attached marking for a Spitfire of 152 Hyderabad Black Panther Sqn RAF in SEAC markings.

While the Alps printer is the best option, it is expensive unless you are going to make hundreds of decals. A better option is to put your artwork on disk and get any printing house to make the decal. Alternatively you can make paint masks with any printer.

Military fonts for most air forces can be found at http://members.aol.com/p5219/fonts.htm
--
Merlin

Name:	21550_4297.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	12809  
Old 08-15-2002, 03:29 AM
JET FX

Default Great Info

Thanks guys! for all this great input, I was wondering if some of you maybe able to post some pics here of your finished models, complete with home made decals! I would really like to see how well these decals turn out when applied to the models! transparency and finish... : )
I may have been able to save myself weeks of airbrushing on my F16 tail, if I had the decal know how...

Cheers

Name:	21561_2542.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	12810  
Old 08-15-2002, 04:37 PM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: Great Info

Originally posted by ozcan
Thanks guys! for all this great input, I was wondering if some of you maybe able to post some pics here of your finished models, complete with home made decals!
I usually use a combination of decals and cut vinyl. If I need a white background for the decals, I'll cut it out of vinyl, lay it down, then put the decal on over that.

F-106: Combination of decals and Stika cut vinyl.

Sukhoi SU-27 Flankers: Mostly inkjet decals and some Stika-cut vinyl.

General Dynamics WB-57N: Tail markings all inkjet decals.

A-4 Skyhawk: Combination of inkjet decals and Stika cut vinyl.

Old 08-15-2002, 04:58 PM
JET FX

Default DECAL pics

Dan, thanks for sharing pics of your models, they look great!
I gotta ask though whats a WB-57N? any more pics! : )
Old 08-15-2002, 05:17 PM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: DECAL pics

Originally posted by ozcan
Dan, thanks for sharing pics of your models, thay look great!
I gotta ask though whats a WB-57N? any more pics! : )
Thanks!

NASA's version of the USAF RB-57F.

http://www.jmrcflyers.com/gallery/b57.htm

Dan
Old 08-15-2002, 06:49 PM
JET FX

Default WB-57

Hey Dan that looks absolutly awesome! I would love to scale the WB-57 up somewhat, maybe double the size of yours and install a couple of MW54 turbines! What you think? Is this similar to the TH-1. Or the U-2 would make a great giant scale turbine project...
Old 08-15-2002, 07:03 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ALPS 500

I got an Alps MD5000 printer i'm not using. About 1 Year old and has been used twice. Don't remember what they sell for anymore, but $200 and it's yours.

Comes with about 8 print cartridges (about $10 each)

The best printer available for homemade decals
Old 08-15-2002, 07:30 PM
F86_SABRE

Default Decals

Hey Ozcan,

Will this one help?

Regards

reuben
Malta

Name:	21629_3500.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	12811  
Old 08-15-2002, 09:33 PM
JET FX

Default Tiger Tales

Hi Reuben,
I also have that image and used it as the bases for an enlarged stencil for the tail of my F16. I would definetly be trying to create it as a decal if I had to do again.... I had no building to do last winter : )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.