Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

'04 ScaleMasters Championships?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

'04 ScaleMasters Championships?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Thrushdust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 ScaleMasters Championships?

Anybody got any results, or links to results, for the '04 ScaleMasters Championships yet?

D. Hayes
Old 09-26-2004, 09:30 PM
jlovitt
My Feedback: (41)

Default RE: '04 ScaleMasters Championships?

I hear you Dave- I too anxiously await results. I take it from your reply that you could not/did not attend this year- like myself.

Anyone out there got some info for guys like me who couldn't make it?

Jeff Lovitt
Davis, CA
Old 09-26-2004, 09:40 PM
johnnyo
My Feedback: (7)

Fellows, just got done doing the clean up from the Masters. Terry Nitsch with the F100.
JohnnyO
Old 09-26-2004, 10:09 PM
Thrushdust

Thanks for the info- just couldn't stand to take a week(+) off and travel that far this time.

David Hayes
'03 Grand Champion
Old 09-26-2004, 10:36 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

This site will eventually have the results.
http://www.rcbarnstormers.org/

I was only able to attend the Friday show and living only 10 miles from the field. The Kansas winds were a no show ... 0 to 10 max. and zero clouds. The host Barnstormers did a beautiful job. So many great looking scale planes.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:06 PM
KidVermin

Here's just 4 of the 50+ photos I took.
The Hellcat in front of the early BeeGee, barely survived a 3/4 cartwheel on takeoff. Too bad to see damage to any of these quality scale planes.
I believe it was announced that 31 planes had qualified to compete using 4 flight lines. The CD and helpers kept the air filled without any lag time. The KC RC Show Team put on a great halftime program, including a knockout helicopter demonstration.

I thought the F-100 should have lost points since it didn't do a slow harrier/cobra flyby.

Steve, thanks for the correction; I knew better, the Avenger was on flight line 1. Too many beauties to absorb at one time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51744.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	177191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71093.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	177192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71439.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	177193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98740.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	177194  
Old 09-27-2004, 09:17 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Absolutely the best day 4 days of weather in the history of Model Aviation!!!
Show was great , Flight line was great .
Wish we had had more vendors.
Thanks to all who put it on and Thanks for all who Flew!!!!
You dun your thing...
Old 09-27-2004, 03:25 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have that weather out here 300 plus days a year ;-)
Old 09-27-2004, 05:47 PM
Mr_Scale
My Feedback: (7)

We had a great time till we had a mid-air with a cub. It was a great plane and placed 6th at the Scale Masters in 2003.
Here is before and after. Mrs. Scale here/Mr. Scale is not able to talk about it at this time. We lost a family friend and I do miss it on the table in the work shop.
Mr_Scale will be working on a 1/2 scale Smith Mini Plane this winter that will come out with in a short kit from Jack Stafford Models soon. I just miss the baby that pasted away in Kansas.

Shannon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38024.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	177420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72150.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	177421  
Old 09-27-2004, 06:50 PM
KidVermin

Shannon,
Thats gotta hurt. Whoda thunk a Cub could bring yours down but still land with a missing stab.
I was there Friday and took several closeup photos of the beautiful scale details you put into the plane. I'm happy I got the chance to see the before and not the after. Sorry it's gone.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Wormy J
My Feedback: (6)

Dave,

Bummer you missed it too. You where my vote to win this year. I expect to see you and Jeff F. next year in California, no excuses!! Do you think you could get Jeff to build another plane? A duster????
Go to rcscalebuilder.com and look in the fourms under gossip. Joe Huntly posted some scores as of round 4. Kind of weird static scores, almost all were 99.25 or better!!!! Figure that one out. Maybe they had caculator battery issues again this year.

'03 Grand Champion for five minutes
Jeremy
Old 09-28-2004, 12:41 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My fellow Sun Valley Fliers did well; Jay and Jack Steward finishing 2nd in team and Kent Walters finishing 2nd in Expert.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Thrushdust

Jeremy,

California, that will help, another 2 days of driving each way, no thanks! We'll have to figure out how to ship 'em and start saving airmiles I guess. Kind of tough on the modeling budget though. I'll see if I can convert Jeff but you know how those those MMF's are.

Eleven 99.75 static scores in expert? Why not just forget about static if you can't find establish the "better" aircraft out of the group --- oh, I think they call that Fun Scale and Pro Am. Come on guys what's up?
What happened to the Designer Class, I guess they just got stuck back in with the prefab molded plastic airplanes with stickers and a 99.75 static score(note craftsmanship judges), huh?

D. Hayes
Old 09-28-2004, 02:56 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

California? CALIFORNIA? dang thats a loooong drive from Wash DC. Jeremy, you west coast guys must be happy though, at least its closer for you. Sorry I missed this years event. I was planning on driving to KC to watch but I ended up in Traffic court with my son instead! A LOT less fun!! Who knows thought, maybe I'll get there next year.. time will tell.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:12 PM
jlovitt
My Feedback: (41)

I tend to agree with David on this- the static scores are so high and sooooo close, they served little purpose in the event. I respect that entrants want a competitive "flying" contest, but this is too far. There has to be some value placed on building and finishing and 11 99.75 statics in expert doens't do it.

I'm really curious to hear from some of the guys who competed to hear what the feedback there was. It just doesn't seem healthy for the event when building isn't rewarded at all.

Just my thoughts...

Jeff Lovitt

PS- can't wait for California in O5. I've seen the site and it's nice. It's Big- if you can't hit this runway...
Old 09-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Wormy J

Dave/Bob and anyone else from the East.

Last year when I competed in Dayton I flew from Seattle with my 1/4 scale Tiger Moth as baggage. Now it was just under the max size limit for oversize baggage and cost an extra $80 each way. With gas prices being high and airline flights so cheap even with the extra cost to ship and having to rent a car/van it still cost less than driving. Best part is the "drive " to Dayton only took 1/2 a day instead of 4! Jeff Lovitt shipped his plane via bus with no problems.

Jeremy
Old 09-29-2004, 09:41 AM
rusty55125

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I get into it, I want to make sure to thank the host club, they did a wonderful job making everyone feel welcome. The people were great and the weather was unbelievable. Having said that, the judging on both counts, static and flight was horrendous. How can you have static judging where the lowest static score is 95 and more than 75% of the contestants get 99 out of a 100 points in static. I know these planes are good but who are we kidding. The static was not the only place where things were off. The flight was just as strange. How can you have one flight judge saying you were to high on maneuver and the other saying to low. This is on the same flight line, same flight and same maneuver. These were not the only indiscretions, just the one that comes to mind. When you ask the judges, they can’t remember. At this contest you just couldn’t win. The main thing that needs to be taken from this fiasco is, there needs to be some consistency in the judging.
Thanks again to the club that put on the event, they were great. The running of the frequency board, flight line, and overall the people were great.

Sorry for the venting.

Rusty
Old 10-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jlovitt

I tend to agree with David on this- the static scores are so high and sooooo close, they served little purpose in the event. I respect that entrants want a competitive "flying" contest, but this is too far. There has to be some value placed on building and finishing and 11 99.75 statics in expert doens't do it.

I'm really curious to hear from some of the guys who competed to hear what the feedback there was. It just doesn't seem healthy for the event when building isn't rewarded at all.

Just my thoughts...

Jeff Lovitt
For my son and I we had a great contest! Whenever somebody asked us, "How are you doing?" our motto was "Better than we deserve!" The statics threw us into competitive race with the top dogs. It was a flying contest and the top finishers had to fly to win. We have no illusion about our airplanes being any better than they are. They are tier 2 planes by my perspective and they have never scored over 92 statics and I don't think they deserve to, but when given a more favorable static score we just kept out mouths shut and flew. I am confident that this inappropriate judging won't happen again. The U.S. Scale Masters leadership understands full well what happened and I believe they are determined to correct it. In the mean time it sure was fun to give the big guys a run for their money. Congratulations to my son Zach for his 3rd place finish. He finally wipped-up on the old man.

Leo Spychalla - 6th in Expert