Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna and G-26??

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Top Flite Cessna and G-26??

Old 10-27-2004, 08:42 PM
usmcflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Cessna and G-26??

Just wondered if anyone has any info about the Top Flite Cessna 182 kit. I am building one and think I would like to try a gasoline engine in it. The kit calls for 2-stroke .61-.91 cu in (10-15 cc) or 4-stroke .91-1.20 cu in (15-20 cc). Would a Zenoah G-23 or G-26 be too much for this plane?

Thanks,

Kenny
Old 10-27-2004, 10:58 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna and G-26??

I would have to say yes, it's too much engine. And it woun't fit in the cowl without seriously destroying the aesthetics.
Paul
Old 10-28-2004, 01:12 AM
FlyingTyger
My Feedback: (2)

Way too much engine and too much weight also. My TF 182 weighed about 8 lbs with an OS 91 Surpass and took off at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. If you glassed and painted it, I think a 91 4-stroke would be a perfect match.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:14 PM
fiffer

What about the new G-20, I thought about the Saito 100, but really want to go Gas...
Old 08-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fiffer

What about the new G-20, I thought about the Saito 100, but really want to go Gas...
If you must go gas, then go with the Hangar 9 182. The Top Flite just isn't big enough. Magnum 91 on mine, scaled out, 14 pounds, fly at 1/2 throttle most of the time.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 PM
fiffer

Is your engine mounted sideways or inverted? And is it hidden in the cowl?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fiffer

Is your engine mounted sideways or inverted? And is it hidden in the cowl?
Are you asking me? My 91 is inverted, with a postage stamp size hole for valve cover clearance in the cowl. Silicone exhaust diverter sends my exhaust out the left cowl flap. Stock exhaust needed the elbow heated and bent slightly to get it in line. I don't even have a hole for needle valve adjustment. I get it on the rich side, and leave it alone. I could adjust the needle a few clicks with a hemostat from the front of the cowl, but I'm not looking for max RPMs out of this engine anyways. Like I said, I putt it around 1/2 - 2/3 throttle most of the time. So if it's on the rich side, I really dont notice. And I have the extra insurance on realibility that on the richer side engines give you. I also have electronic on board glow that heats the plug at anything below 1/4 throttle or so. I did this only so I wouldn't have to bother with glow plug issues every startup. Works great, great combonation. I have a TF Piper Arrow next, and it's getting the same powerplant treatment.