Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
 Who has Built & Flown a SIG Bonanza? >

Who has Built & Flown a SIG Bonanza?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Who has Built & Flown a SIG Bonanza?

Old 09-30-2007, 01:38 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who has Built & Flown a SIG Bonanza?

more paint
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64266.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	772983  
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM

Very Nice work PilotFighter, please keep posting you work.

Well I received the mechanical retracts from Robart, so I'm starting to fit them oh the wing:

Using Robart Struts it looks nice:

now, lets go on with the other wing....
Old 11-14-2007, 04:35 PM

Nice work, Maki. That is going to be sweet! Well, here is some of the glacial progress at my house. Got a radio, just need the time now. I was going for an old-school, vintage look.

PS. I hear Santiago is beautiful !!!

Name:	Nl30314.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	803836  
Old 11-14-2007, 05:19 PM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I still have not started on my Byrons Bonanza, however I did start a build on a Torres T-34C. There is a build thread here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63..._1/key_/tm.htm
May be some info that will relate to your Bonanza builds.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 AM

Pilotfighter, very very nice look of your Plane, I hope mine will look like yours.

I have some questions maybe you can help me, on posts behind you write that you used "Nitrate Dope and Dacron" what are this two products ?, and you used this products right over the balsa wood?, and as last question , you don't used fiberglass to cover the plane?

Thank a lot for you help and nice flyings,

Mario
Old 11-15-2007, 03:44 PM

Nitrate dope and Dacron are both sold by Sig. Dacron is called Koverall by sig, but its really the same Dacron that is used to cover real airplanes, just a lighter, thinner version. So look for Sig Koverall. I used dope and Koverall on the fuselage. I was afraid that fiberglass would be too heavy. I thought this plane wan't big enough for fiberglass. And I am kind of alergic to it. It turns out, that I really love the Koverall and dope technique. Its very old school and easy.
First, sand the fuselage smooth with 400 paper. Then apply a coat of clear nitrate dope. (just on the wood part) I cut it with Sig dope thinner until it was almost as thin as water. It dried in about 30 minutes. Sand with 400 paper. Apply another coat of dope. Sand. Then paint it with Sig stick-it. Thats the adhesive. The plain dacron has no adhesive of its own. Then iron on the Koverall. Then paint it with 2 or 3 more coats of thinned dope. Sand between coats. Then use what ever finish you like. I used auto primer, then Lusterkote paint and Rustoleum paint. Then shot Lustrekote clear. I covered the wing and tail with Monokote, thinking that would help keep the wieght down.
If I had to do it over again, I would have covered the entire plane with Koverall and dope and painted it. The patina of paint looks more realistic than the plastic mylar film. ANd I used rattle-can paints. You could get a much better finish with a spray gun and some of the nicers paints like Glasscote. Maybe next project.
If you are good with fiberglass, then you should probably stick with what you know. This plane can be finished up very nicely. I did alot of experimenting of this project and I feel as though I was lucky to get the results that I got. I had to test several paints for compatability and reactions.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 AM

Thank you very much Pilotfighter for this clear step-by-step instructions, I only need to know if you applied the nitrate dope with a simple brush or with a airbrush, I'm not familiar with fiberglass so I will follow you techique, because the finish looks really great.
thank you very much again and nice weekends.

Mario
Old 11-19-2007, 04:14 PM

Thats the beauty of the dope and fabric, you can use a brush. I got one at the hardware store, about 1 inch wide. I did buy a pretty nice brush. I don't know if it was horse hair, but it was certainly softer than nylon.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:28 AM

Thanks Pilotfighter, I have already identified the NItrate Dope and Koverall on Sig's webpage, but I can not find the "Sig stick-it", do you have a picture of this glue? or the link where I can find it?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Mario
Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 PM

Man, your right. I can't find it either. Its spelled Stix-it. I checked the can and Sig does make it. I fired off an email to them asking where it is on the site. You also need dope thinner. when I read the discription of Koverall, it even says to use Sig Stix-it. Then it says (see below). But its not listed below. Might just be a programming oversight. We'll see.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 AM

Pilotfighter, I have identified all the products:

The Koverall:

The Stix-It:

And the Thinner for the dope:

I allready asked to a Chilean dealer to import it for me, I hope to have the product in two weeks at home, the Nitrate Dope is able to find in a RC local store, so I'm very happy, thank's for you support Pilotfighter.

Regards,

Mario
Old 11-21-2007, 01:46 PM

OK, good. Sig emailed me back and said they still have Stix-it in good supply. But they didn't say how to find it on the website.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I have a sig bonanza that was bought new in the 70s and I never put it together. Over the years I have lost the wings but I still have all the rest of the kit and the plans. I have been looking for wings or at least plans that would allow me to scratch build them. If I can make you some copies of something let me know. My email is [email protected]
Old 11-24-2007, 07:54 PM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dynamic Balsa lists the foam wing cores for the SIG Bonanaza wing on their site. Part# W4003, they also list cores for the stab.
http://www.dbalsa.com/
Old 04-05-2008, 09:28 PM

I know, I know. How is it possible that I am still building that same Bonanza after all of this time. Hint : (I'm really more of a flyer)

Name:	Us54031.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	922702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61912.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	922703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48762.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	922704  
Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfection takes time . Has it flown?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:47 AM

Oh, it ain't perfect. Nope , hasn't flown yet. I'm still mounting the radio. I can't decide where the CG is. The instructions place it well in front of the 1/3 cord line. Several guys on RCU mentioned that it landed hot on their brief experience with the model. Sig suggests that their CG is forward for test flights and that the builder may move it back later. The thing is, I can ballance the plane without lead if I mount the servos in the right spot. So, I plan on going aft about 3/4 inch , which is closer to the 1/3 cord line.

Name:	Da83232.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	925105  
Old 04-22-2008, 03:57 PM

Pilotfighter,

Congratulations...
You PLane looks really nice, very wonderfull finish.

Please, try to upload a video with the first flight, and let me know where you finally used the CG.

Good first flight..

Mario
Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 AM

Hey fellows. I ran the engine 5 times on the ground before trying to fly the plane. I generally just break the engine in while flying, but since the cowling is so tight, i figured I better run the engine in a little first. Well, she leaned bad about 3 minutes into the flight. She threw the prop and aluminim spinner off and ran wild for a few seconds. I lost about 40 dollars worth of prop, spinner, adapter nut, and something call ed a woodruff key, (used on the OS 50SX). Couldn't find any of it in the hay feild. And I spent a bunch of time making that 1 3/4 spinner work and even the adaptor nut had to be cut down. Anyway, all that was lost.

Back at home, I notice the floor of the cockpit was pretty low compared to the crank. Well, the top of the tank is a good 1/4 inch below the cockpit floor. So, I think the tank is pretty low on this kit. When I was running the engine in, while in my driveway, I had to start the engine at 2 turns open, then richen it almost another turn. This , I now realize, confirms the tank is low. I ordered a Perry Pump. I think you can expect some problems related to cooling and low fuel tank with this kit. (Duh) Don't be surprised if you need a pump.

I'm going to run a few more tanks through in the driveway, then fly it rich as possible just to see how things go. But I plan to install the pump anyway. I've used those pumps before on other scale projects and they work miracles.

PS. The airplane glided very well . It didn't land hot as was mentioned in other posts. There maybe a problem installing a pump. The new thin walled cases make it difficult to install a pressure fitting. Generally, the fitting must be mounted on the edge of the engine mounting flange between the mounting bolts so the nipple's threads don't protrude into the engine. With the engine mounted sideways , as it is on the Bonanza, the flange facing the top is very close to the cowl, so there is no room for the nipple. ANd with the Pitts style muffler, the flange facing down is too close to the muffler. I believe it might be possible to cut a small "V" in the flange and therefor mount the nipple at an angle. This might allow me to mount the nipple on the upper flange, near the cowl, and have enough room. I don't really know yet. I still need to look at this more closely.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Flew the Bonanza again today. Much better this time. Didn't feed any parts to the hay field. I just richened the top end and leaned the bottom and bingo, it worked.

The plane is fast. Others here on RCU had reported that it was fast. They were right. Its a screamer. The instructions called for 1/4 inch travel each direction with the ailerons. Thats what my low rate was set for. Its plenty, maybe too much. The ailerons are very sensitive. The instuctions call for 7/16 inch travel on the elevator. I had that on high and about 3/8 on low. 3/8 flew well and felt fairly ballanced with the ailerons. But the take off roll was a tad long and I had trouble getting it to land on the mains. Seems like it needed a tad more. However, when flying on high rate, with the entire 7/16's, it seemed too much. So, I'm going to try something in the middle. I used the flaps only once. The plane slows down fairly well without them. But with them, it bleeds off speed much better. I was concerned I might wheel barrow the landing with full flaps and such little elevator, but it actually landed OK. I ripped off a few low passes. But with the new engine and the experience I had with the maiden, I mostly stayed up high enough to glide around and land if needed. Down low, it really seems to be hauling. Now to tame this thing and make it a touch and go queen ! And I didn't go with the CG location recommend by Sig. They even admit that theirs is forward for the sake of the maiden. I went about an ich aft.

PS. Anyone considering this model should consider using a .46 or even a good 40. I had originally planned on a .46, but chose a 50SX because it was the same size. But it would be cheaper and probably more fun with a good 46.

Name:	Xv63317.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	950198  
Old 06-21-2008, 11:49 AM

Hi friends
I realy wanna buy this kit, its realy hard to find some. If some knows where can i find this kit, please help me pilots.
Thanks lot for your attention
Bye
Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Hi, PilotFighter. Very nice looking Bonanza. Kudo's for staying with the project and seeing her through the maiden. Isn't it great how the older designs still draw attention and demand to be built? Soft landings. Joe
Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 PM

I was given one of these Sig beachcraft Bonanza kits the other day. I'm curious how it compares with the old Byron Original Beachcraft Bonanza? it was a 60 power aircraft.
Another question reguarding covering of the foam wing cores. Years ago I used to mix white glue with water in a 60/40% and a few drops of red or green food coloring so you can see it on the foam and balsa. Then brush it on the foam core and the one side of the balsa wing skins. It was then left to completely dry then when dry I placed the two glue covered surfaces together and with a very hot iron(With steam turned off) I ironed the balsa skin onto the foam cores. Has anyone else used this method for attaching the skins to the cores? Has been about 10-12 years since I last built any rc aircraft, so I'm a bit rusty on a few things
Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 PM

Hi PilotFighter,
you really have done a magnificent job on your Bonanza. The scale undercarriage and stance of your model
adds greatly to the realism. After many engine failures which finally resulted in me ripping off the front noseleg
I sold my Bonanza to a friend. Good news is that I will get to fly it again once it has been re-engined (with a supertigre 75 !)

Looking forward to a video of it flying

Name:	Nl30852.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	978652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78869.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	978653  
Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 PM

Hey Nevster, glad to hear she is still going strong.

I only have 7 flights now, but I'm really starting to love this plane. As you mentioned the stance is a tad nose high, maybe 3 degrees. So landing with full flaps its difficult to get enough flair to avoid landing on the nose gear. So, I limited the flap travel slightly. And I HATE having the flaps on a knob, especially when the knob is on the top of the Xmitter. I must come completely off one of the sticks to reach it. So, I'm putting my flaps on a switch that is easier to reach. I have a little black box that is used to slow down the sevo, as much a 16 seconds. I think I'll try it at 2 seconds. Hopefully thats slow enough lowering them that I can avoid ballooning, and yet fast enough retracting the flaps, so I can do touch and goes.

I did notice a crack appear at the back end of the plastic turtle deck. I believe it wasn't due to vibration. I didn't notice it when I put the plane in the car after flying. I noticed it later that night. I think it might have been the heat. It was nearly 100 degrees that day. I think the plastic turtle deck and the wooden airframe may have expanded differently in the heat. The paint along the crack is bent outward, on both edges. It looks like the joint expanded in the heat, the paint stretched with it, and then when the model cooled and contracted the paint buckled. I didn't overlap the edges of the turtle deck with the Koverall. That was probably a mistake. I didn't realize expanding and shrinking might be a concern.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.