Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
 Who has Built & Flown a SIG Bonanza? >

Who has Built & Flown a SIG Bonanza?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Who has Built & Flown a SIG Bonanza?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who has Built & Flown a SIG Bonanza?

Hi PilotFighter,
I found on my bonanza that you could bang on full flap (about 40 degrees) and it didn't balloon at all. Anything below full flap didn't seem to do much. I also had
my flaps set on a nob and had the same uneasy feeling taking your thumbs of the sticks to operate the nob. I never had any problems but this is one model
you don't want to lose concentration for a second by bumping sticks etc.

I also started to get cracks appearing in the turtledeck. My problem was mainly due to the age of my kit with the abs decoming very brittle over time.

I'm still amazed by this model as to how well mannered it was for such a small tapered wing and a relatively heavy wingloading. It's a shame SIG still doesn't produce
these kits - I'd buy another one tomorrow if they did !

Keep up the good work and I'm sure your model will be admired where ever you fly it

Old 06-28-2008, 12:02 PM
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: pzrwest

I was given one of these Sig beachcraft Bonanza kits the other day. I'm curious how it compares with the old Byron Original Beachcraft Bonanza? it was a 60 power aircraft.
Another question reguarding covering of the foam wing cores. Years ago I used to mix white glue with water in a 60/40% and a few drops of red or green food coloring so you can see it on the foam and balsa. Then brush it on the foam core and the one side of the balsa wing skins. It was then left to completely dry then when dry I placed the two glue covered surfaces together and with a very hot iron(With steam turned off) I ironed the balsa skin onto the foam cores. Has anyone else used this method for attaching the skins to the cores? Has been about 10-12 years since I last built any rc aircraft, so I'm a bit rusty on a few things
Hi Pzrwest,

I do believe the Byrons Bonanza, now Iron Bay, is a much nicer, but also much pricier model. I haven't seen the Byron Bonanza in person, but I have seen the Baron. IT was amazing.
I used contact cement. Sig makes a good one. And the other one is made by Dave Brown. I have heard of the method you describe and people say it works well. But I have no first hand experience of my own and can't offer specific details.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:07 PM

Well I did own and build a Byron Original Beachcraft Bonanza many years ago but sadly I dorked it in and totaled it. I knew I shouldn't have made that last flight.... I told my friend there was something wrong as it wanted to roll off to the right but he said it was just the wind but I replied but it does it on the down wind and up wind leg so it couldn't be the wind but he convinced me to fly it that it must be me causeing it. Anyways to make a long story short was makeing a left bank turn and thought I would add a touch of right rudder to keep the nose up and as I touched the rudder stick it did a snap roll and corkscrewed into the ground. We did manage to stop the spin just before it hit the ground
Old 07-04-2008, 09:55 PM

Hey Nevster,

You were right about the flaps. Just bang 'em down. No ballooning at all. I have my first computor radio in this bird. I fly a few laps, shoot an approach, then adjust 3 or 4 parameters on the transmitter. Blast off, fly 2 or 3 laps and do it again. I must have made 100 adjustments today. Its amazing. I had no idea computor radios gave you this much flexibility.

But I must say, I love this airplane. It looks good in the air. It halls butt. And its very fun to land. And with the flaps on the switch, I can do my touch and goes. And thats the main reason I built this model, touch and goes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51586.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	984193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91849.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	984194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71521.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	984195  
Old 08-09-2008, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bonanza gang Howde!!

I would like to join ya boys as i'm buying one for myself. Initially that being last night, i didn't knew who kit is was and the specs that i got from present owner were off. As it turned out today that it's SIG Bonanza and i would like to thank Pilotfighter for helping me identify this model correctly.

I'm thinking on getting OS MAX 50 for it also as one is currently available, i can use this engine on my Learjet also and maybe on RBF 600 Fan Trainer too. Mine is already built and painted almost overall white with couple of painted red and silver 1/4" stripes across the sides. My model does not have flaps built on it, by reading this thread it's apparent that i will have to make them once i get the model.
It's LGs are fixed type also. I don't know yet if i want to incorporate retracts on it or not.

Since it's all white, i'm thinking on finishing it in scale livery of Lufthansa Airlines as they used these Bonanza's as trainers.

Sammy

Name:	Zx72080.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1007129  
Old 08-09-2008, 01:15 AM

Do any of you guys think, i could fly this with NIB Super Tiger G40 if i were to do engine break in on this airframe?, i have 4 of these engines sitting in box for my S Connie.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 PM

Well, its been a while, but I finally tried to re-locate the pressure fitting on my muffler in hopes it might improve the fuel flow situation. The results were negative. So, it looks like the Bonanza needs a pump.

The problem is: there is no place to mount the pressure fitting for the pump. The back plate doesn't have a molded nipple location. Typically, the next place is to mount the pressure fitting through the engine mount flange. But in this case, with the engine mounted sideways, there is very little room to moun thte nipple. The upper flange is very close to the cowl. The lower flange is close to the muffler.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:29 PM

Perry pump to the rescue ! It works great ! I've only test run the plane in the driveway so far. But I have the engine re-tuned for the pump now and it seems to work great on the ground. Pointed striaght up or striaght down, the engine screams its b@99s off and the idle is also good. After some tinkering, the transition is pretty smooth.

Name:	Vt58592.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1082861  
Old 12-04-2008, 12:35 PM

Why do you need pump for when fuel tank is right behind the firewall?

When i was doing engine run trials and break in adjustments, i never had any issues with fuel starvation. I mean you are not going to go vertical on this plane or are you planning radical flying with it next season
Old 12-05-2008, 03:22 AM

Because of the cockpit floor, the tank is quite low. The original flights required the high end needle valve be set at 2 1/2 turns open vs. the 1 1/4 turns recommended in the manual. It did fly. But throttle response was poor. And near the end of the flight, when the tank was nearly empty, the mixture still became too lean. Throttle response became even worse. While doing touch and goes, the engine either idled very slow, ran wide open, or gurgled and burbed throughout the midrange while not really responding.

In short, it was just too far out of parameters.

But with the pump, the engine runs great at 1 /14 turns open on the high speed needle valve, it idles great, and it transistions great which allows those single click throttle adjustments while on approach, ( which is what was missing).

I haven't seen you around much lately. How is your Bonanza ?

Name:	Lj21637.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1084130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34036.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1084131  
Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 AM

Oh i see why you needed it. I guess when i will come across a 50sz motor i will be needing to add pump also.

I am around, you just have to look for me on here. Bonanza is stored for the winter. I don't plan to risk flying it as it's one of the most beautiful models i have and every time i look at it, it looks better then before.

I am currently doing full restoration on 1/8th scale Avro Arrow DF model. Look in Composite repair section, my thread is there. Once 1st stage of Arrow is complete then i will start working again on my S Connie as i am going to make molds for it and do few fiberglass short kits of it come summer of 2009. So basically i'm here you juss have to look around to find me..hehehe

BTW are those Harrier plans i see in back ground, fill me up on it will ya, its interesting looking model.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 PM

Those Harrier plans are nearly 10 years old. I forget if they came from RCM or MAN. The other wall has a Navion plan and a Laird Turner Meteor plan. So many airplanes, so little time. THe Harrier calls for a 25, I believe, maybe a 40. But it does seem a little small for my astigmatism. Maybe someday I'll blow them up to a 60 size.

Right now , I am preparing to replace my Kyosho Cap232 with an Aeroworks Edge 540. The Bonanza's modifications interupted the Edge project, seen in the background.

I believe the next project will be a Tripacer or maybe a Stinson, I'm in the mood for something vintage.

Name:	Fd93358.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1084222  
Old 12-06-2008, 03:55 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Pilotfighter, Your Bonanza is beautiful. Looks like you did a very clean job of building and finishing. I just recently found a mint condition never fondled kit that I hope to start some day. I was thinking that someone like Spring Air or Century Jet made some scale retracts for this kit at some point? I would prefer to use pneumatic gear and not mechanical. I havent looked the plans over much yet, but do they mention the V tail version as a possible build subsitution if one desired?
Regards,
Scott
Old 12-07-2008, 01:38 AM

Thanks Scott,

Its fun to fly too. Squeezing a retract under that engine and muffler is going to take a real Houdini. But it can probably be done. In fact, I believe Hisham, another gentleman here on RCU, has done it.

As for me, I am thinking of adding a landing light with a micro switch connected to the flaps. Its hokey, but I think it might look cool.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:50 PM

Not Hokey at all. I have lights on several of my scale birds and they are awsome. My favorite landing lights are the Econo landing lights made by Ram. They are powered by a single 9 volt battery, come with a micro switch already wired and the metal cone shaped housing. They are also very very bright. My last install was in the leading edge of my H-9 Giant scale 182. They look absolutly real and ad another dimension to the airframe.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:09 PM

Thats great news. I was thinking of using that very light. But I guess I'll need some deans connectors so I can unplug it when I take the cowl off.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:21 PM

Thats exactly what I used. The micro Deans. Go ahead and do it, you will really like it.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

Thats great news. I was thinking of using that very light. But I guess I'll need some deans connectors so I can unplug it when I take the cowl off.
I have this set to, i bought it to use on my Connie though. I am just thinking since our models are already built and flown then how can these be incorporated into already finished foamcore/sheeted and painted wings without major surgery....
Old 12-13-2008, 10:14 AM

The old Debonairs have the light on the front of the cowl.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Pilotfighter, still have your Bonanza? Where did you end up tapping into the engine case for the Perry pump?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:35 AM

Yep, I still have it.

I tapped into the very bottom of the case !

Generally, you would want to go in one of the engine mount tabs. There is plenty of meat there to drill and tap. But my engine is mounted on its side. The mount on the top is up nearly touching the cowl. The tab aimed downward is nearly touching the muffler. So I had to go through the bottom of the case. The case is thin there. Maybe 1.5 mm. Just enough there for one thread of the pressure fitting. SO I made an "ant hill" of JB WELD around the rest of the threads of the pressure fitting. Here we are 2012, its been 3+ years, nearly 4 years and it still works fine, (of course I just cursed it by saying that). The pump really brought this airplane to life. The OS Max 50 screams.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the input, Pilotfighter. I am a Bonanza nut in case you didn't know already, and I just got a Byron V tail to build here very soon. Got a Sig, too (I have about 10 Bonanza kits actually- I'm psycho!!). Both the Sig and the Byron are basically the same size & with the same tight area under the cowl, so I was curious. I am planning a custom muffler and a pump for my Bonanza. After using perry pumps twice now, I am very impressed with them. I built a Great Planes F-14 prop jet back in the 90's that called for the fuel tank right behind the firewall as usual, but I wanted a bigger wheel on the nose retract. So to solve the problem I put 2 small 8 oz tanks (plumbed in series) right on the cg, basically side by side, with a 12" long lead to the ASP .75 powering the model. [X(] After dialing in the mixture, it ran PERFECT despite the crazy fuel system and the engine would not waiver in RPM no matter what orientation you held it in. Ran like a top until I ran it into a mailbox one day... DOH! [&:] Those pumps really help get the most performance & consistency from an engine.

Anyway, your Bonanza is the best looking Sig kit I have ever seen... nice work! I hope you get to enjoy it for many more years to come. A very classy touch & go queen!

Oh, and when I finally build my Sig Bone, I will fully document a conversion to the V tail and make a fiberglass fuse top. That should solve the problem of the old plastic cracking.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:42 AM

T-E-N Bonanza kits? I love it! Hope to see your 'V' tail and glass top conversion in a build soon! Cheers, another 'psycho'!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM

Thanks Firepower, I really appreciate that.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 PM

ARUP, it is nice to know I have company! When I do get around to it, I will use the tail of my Byron V tail Bonanza as a model for the Sig conversion since they are the same size.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.