Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Covering a Gee Bee Z >

Covering a Gee Bee Z

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Covering a Gee Bee Z

Old 02-25-2003, 02:34 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering a Gee Bee Z

Imdapope,

Thanks for the tips!

I'm in the middle of a 29% Hostetler Z, and have been looking for the dash layout. Could you share a photo or a link?
Old 02-25-2003, 08:35 PM

Here you go. Like I said I also have the layout of which dials go where on my blueprints but I don't think I don't know if I can post it - copyright you know. The plans are from adrian page maybe he can help you.

Also check out this web site.
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...5/geebeez.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58352_5595.gif
Views:	86
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	14498  
Old 02-25-2003, 08:37 PM

This is the main web site.
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...15/index3.html
Old 02-25-2003, 09:10 PM
My Feedback: (7)

I appreciate the links!
Old 02-25-2003, 10:01 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Default Canopy Location?

Hey thats a nice looking Z! Mine (also an Adrian kit) has just been covered in Koverall & nitrate dope....ready for paint. I have a question about the cut out for the cockpit. When I cut mine out in the visual scale location for the canopy, the front section of the opening has a big fuse former running across the area. I started to sand it down a bit with a Dremel, but I sure wish it was not in this location.

Was your the same? or did I just make the opening to long???
Old 02-26-2003, 01:59 AM

I cut the opening about 1/16 or maybe 1/8 inch shy of F4. It does look odd in the plans though. I mounted my dash to F4.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:06 AM

A good fabric finishg is extremely shiny. especially hand rubbed dope. I don't understand where people get the idea that Dope finishes should be dull? If it is applied properly in the proper amout of coats, with lots of sanding, you should get a finish on the level of a polyurethane coating or an 30 coat hand rubbed lacquer finish. that comes from experience in working with full size dope and fabric and looking at masterfully covered airplanes.
Good Luck gents
Old 02-26-2003, 05:33 AM

Like I said, I bought my fabric with a satin finish out of preference. It was pre-colored and is available in gloss. I simply preferred a slightly dull finish that's all.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:46 PM

Default Wing Fillets - Any tips?

Hi guys;

I'm building the same, from a combination of Page's old and new plans for the "Z" (I didn't get the new plans 'til after the fuse was built).

It's been going pretty well so far, but I forsee trouble with the wing fillets. How on earth do you get (according to the plans) a 1/16" balsa sheet to conform to those curves, across only three fillet formers? Lots of Windex?

I'm planning on powering with electric, and removing the wing to change out batteries, so the fillets won't be permanently fixed to the wing. Is it difficult to get a smooth transition from the fillet bottom to the wing top like this?

I'd love to hear how you did it. By the way, 'pope - BEAUTIFUL job on your Z!

Thanks much,
BykrDan.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:55 PM

I was surprised how well the fillets turned out. The basically triangular shaped internal structure of the fillet allows the balsa sheet follow the curve and attach to it. It is not easy, but with a little water on one side it curves nicely. The front fillet curve is made from a ABS piece in his kits, otherwise you would need to carve this from balsa. He does sell the plastic parts separately. I'm currently waiting for my upgrade of glass pants and cowl. My kit was from about a year ago and only included the plastic cowl. i could post some pictures of the fillet area if that would help you?
Old 02-27-2003, 02:56 PM

Thanks, Kregg - if you don't mind, any pictures you have would be greatly helpful...

I did something I will never do again - I scaled the plans down just a bit, to get more of a parkflyer-sized airplane. In so doing, I made sure that I can't order ANY commercially available wheel pants, cowl, canopy or ABS wing fillets; I'm going to have to get up to speed pretty quickly in vacu-forming these kinds of things myself.

Thanks for the tip about the balsa block. That's not noted in the plans, and I wouldn't have thought to tackle it that way.

BykrDan.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:32 PM

Per BykrDan:
Attached you will find an image of my Z without paint. The wing fillets are visible through the fabric and dope.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59205_3717.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	14499  
Old 02-28-2003, 10:32 PM

Thanks Kregg - what a nice looking job. Almost makes you hate to finish the plane...

I think I'll be able to manage something now. You have a nice, neat joint between the fillet and the wing. Is your wing still removeable? Almost looks like you covered it in one piece to the fuse.

Dan.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:08 PM

Take a look at my 1/5 Gee Bee Z!

It started out as a Page kit, and what a great kit! I did many mods and changes to the

fuselage, cowling, tail and an all new wing, but used most of the kits wing parts.

No changes to the stab or elevator.

The wheel pants attach to the struts viva 1/4 - 20 nylon wing bolts with an allen head.

The model is now about 90% scale.