Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Flite Metal

Old 12-27-2001, 11:25 PM
Jared
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flite Metal

What's the skinny, has anyone used this stuff? If you haven't seen it, check out http://www.scaleaero.com/flitemetal.htm
I'm building a ziroli DC-3 for static display and I was thinking about using it. If you have experience with it, I would love to hear what kind of preparation you used and how it turned out. Thanks
Jared
Old 12-31-2001, 07:44 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default flite metal

Jared,
I just checked this stuff out. For your info it weighs 2.76 oz per sq yard so its probably close to monocoat. Keep in mind that you still have to have a perfect finish to start with. glass and filler and all that. Any imperfections will show thru.
Any scale finish on your DC-3 will be very time consuming.
My son and I used the old IMP models "skinny dip" on our Mustang. It turned out great but what a mess. We looked like tin men after we got done. This stuff was a super fine aluminum powder applied over a special tacky base, then rubbed to get the finish desired. This stuff isn't around any more (too bad.. most scale and lightest finish ever made).
If yours is static only this flite metal is probably as good as any. They claim there is no radio interference but I sure would check it out.

bentwings
Old 12-31-2001, 08:35 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default more finishing stuff

Jared,
Just got back from Bob Violet Jets. Check out his finishing system over on the Jets section. A little tedious but looks perfect for your application.
bentwings
Old 01-02-2002, 02:55 AM
mselby

Default Flite Metal

For static use where fuel proofing is not an issue, bare metal foil (that is the product name) is worth considering. It is often used on plastic models, and comes in a variety of tones including aluminium. its a bit easier to work with than flite metal. They have a web site which is www.bare-metal.com
Mike
Old 01-02-2002, 04:01 PM
Jared

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. Since it is a static application, the weight is not an issue. The only problem with the bare-metal stuff is that it comes in such small sheets... if you aren't familiar with the ziroli dc-3, it has a 12 foot wingspan. and that makes for more than a handful of those 11x6.5 inch sheets (at $5 each). I found the bob violet stuff, but it looks like it requires spraying equipment and pretty extensive prep work. I'm trying to avoid having to use painting equipment because I don't really have the resources to do it. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-10-2002, 02:28 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default aluminum covering tape

Hi!
I must say that Im not impressed with this product...the tape is exactly the same as ordinary aluminum tape bought at the general store,same softness etc.
To reproduce aluminium on a airplane you have to have make the fuselage and the wing hard and smooth....that could be made either with polyester resin or epoxy. but there are some negative things with the aluminum tape that Im not to fond about.
Every speck that you get under the aluminium tape is coing to be seen after you have covered the plane...that too could be fixed but....the surface is very soft...every ding, car door, nail, or anyother object that tuches the surface of the airplane will make a mark in the surface.
What I want on my planes is a hard surface...like ordinary aluminium plates on fullsize airplanes......Untill such a product is fund on the market one will have to cope with the second best material...
Oracover chrome plastic film, Ordinary Aluminumtape (Flight Metal), thin Aluminium sheets, 0.1mm thick, Off-set printer aluminum sheets.

Regards!
Jan Karlsson
Sweden