Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Waco YMF-3 (Dave Platt)

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Waco YMF-3 (Dave Platt)

Old 04-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waco YMF-3 (Dave Platt)

Hi guys,
I just purchased a beautiful never flown Waco YMF-3 with an Enya 60 4 stroke on the nose. It was built from an original Dave Platt kit. I am in the middle of going over the entire craft updating the rods checking hinges etc. It just occured to me, I really have no idea how to fly this plane scale! Wondering if anyone would be willing to share any secrets about the Waco's flying characteristics and if and what they are famous for?
I would really appreciate it!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99471.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	265007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35316.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	265008  
Old 05-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Waco YMF-3 (Dave Platt)

Sure appreciate the help with my first scale plane [&o]
Old 05-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Couldn't Lorne, Mike, or Roly be of help??
Old 05-02-2005, 01:17 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

I've got the 1/5 WACO and am still in the flight test stage. Here's what I've learned.

The C.G. is more critical than you would think. I initially flew mine without the cowl and knew it was very slightly tail heavy. It was not too twitchy, but the elevator was pretty sensitive in the flare. The ailerons are VERY slow. The elevator and rudder are comfortable, but the rudder is very strong. Use rudder very carefully. The plane is a floater in ground effect and you almost have to make it land. It is very stable in the air, almost like a trainer. As with all bi-planes, it feels a little"top heavy" if you use too much bank. Keep the bank angle shallow and you'll find it will fly itself. I've not found any adverse yaw so I don't have rudder coupled to aileron. If you do couple to aileron, use only a very small amount of rudder. I've only performed loops and stall turns, but they are very predictable. Be VERY careful of speed build up during the vertical downline after a stall turn.

Good luck, you'll love it
Paul
Old 05-02-2005, 09:59 PM
johnnyo
My Feedback: (7)

CG is critical on this bird if you don't won't your hands full. I'm not sure what size you have. I've been flying my 1/5 Pica in scale competition for a number of years. Once you think you have enough nose weight, you'll probably want to add more. Easy way to tell, if the tail has tendency to go low in a turn, you can actually see this if turning away. the airplane has alot of drag and in a turn you actually are reducing the lift of the wing somewhat. Mind you I don't fly mine on a regular basis so it has taken a few years of flying it around competition time to work out the kinks. As one response mentioned, watch the speed in shallow dives and vertical recoveries, mine developes flutter if the speed gets to high. Have tried all sorts of remendies to no avail, just have to be aware of the possible problem. The rudder is very effective and the plane is easy to ground loop on take off. Put some differential in the rudder and use a gyro if possible, this helps tremendously. On landing it will float in ground effect. this is due patially to the low stance, the wing is very low to the ground when setting and at a pretty shallow angle of attack. It take practice, but you can make some of the most beautiful scale takeoffs and landings with the Waco. I've flow pretty much all the positive acro manuvers with mine with the exception of snaps, give yourself enough room as it does not do anything in a hurry and that includes recoveries.
Any other questions, feel free.
JohnnyO
Old 05-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Bob Kinley

Some years ago I received a Dave Platt WacoYMF3 kit. I started to build it with my young son,it was not to be he passed away and the model got put on the shelf for many years. I have built other models, but now would like to continue to build the Waco. The booklet that came wiyh it for construction and flying got destroyed and I would like to find another. If anyone would have a copy or can make a copy I would like to purchase it.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:50 PM
WacoNut

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Bob,
Sorry to hear about your loss. Must be hard to pick the model back up.

Visit the Waco thread in the Antique Forum. These guys can help and I believe they have the instruction manual uploaded to a server that you can download it from free of charge.

Good Luck!!
Anthony