Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Latex ?

Old 01-01-2002, 03:32 AM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latex ?

OK Gyz, I'm ready to try LATEX paint on my next one. I need all the info that you can supply. Brand names, clearcoat used, thinner, primer, base coat, brush, spray, mix ratio, etc. Will it stick to polyester that has been applied using nitrate ? Or .... should I put the polyester fabric on using polyurethane ? Is it both glow & gas fuel proof ?

I'd really be interested in hearing about your methods ?

Thanx - Jim
Old 01-01-2002, 04:26 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Default Laytex

I can only tell you about my experience and I'm sure others have some other views. I have only used it on large scale gas powered war birds. Nothing better and easy to work with. I have built many Meister Scales and Zirolis finishing them with laytex. These were covered with sig coverall using butrate or nitrae dope or epoxy fiberglassed. I bought the paint from the Home Depot and had it mixed from paint chips or color charts (cheap). I delute the paint about 10% to 15% with water. Two to three coats of latex primer, sanding between coats with 400 grit (wet sanding), and you will get a very nice finish and dries very fast. I used a touch up gun at about 50 psi to cover the models and an airbrush for the finer things. If your looking for a nice shining model, can't help you. My latex experience has only been in the warbird department with a semi-gloss of flat sceme. THe FW next to my name was painted with latex and is on the Meister web in the FW190D9 section.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:28 AM
Dr.Tim
My Feedback: (1)

Default Latex Paint

I used latex paint on my 33% Curtis Falcon -- Make sure it is Outdoor paint! The indoor stuff peels and cracks!! Here is the Photo of my 6 year old Falcon -- The paint has NO clear or anything over the paint -- Gasoline has Not harmed it in any way!
Dr.Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	549_993.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1155  
Old 01-03-2002, 04:44 AM
mselby

Default Latex ?

Roy Vaillencourt did an article a couple months back on using latex paint. I think it was either in MAN or RCscale. You might contact Roy for a copy. The article was pretty comprehensive.
Mike
Old 01-03-2002, 03:30 PM
Dzlstunter

Default Latex ?

Here is a web site for the latex painting article from MAN:
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/how_to/latex1.asp
Old 01-04-2002, 04:24 AM
Ed

Default MAN article

Thanx DZL - That article that you posted, pretty much says it all.

Thank you very much

Jim
Old 01-04-2002, 08:40 PM
Dzlstunter

Default Latex ?

You're welcome. And let us know how it turns out! I'm trying to work my way through an all-water-based finishing system, using commonly-available materials. I am up to the point of adding color, but the weather is a bit brisk in the garage these days so it will probably wait for a while. Dzl
Old 01-08-2002, 03:27 AM
mselby

Default Latex ?

If your looking at waterbase with clear coat, both Chevron and Spies Hecker have some good product systems. The latter is especially durable when rubbing down to create panel weathering effects.
Mike
Old 01-08-2002, 03:35 AM
Dzlstunter

Default Latex ?

Are these two-part systems requiring special forced-air ventilating masks? If they are the usual automobile water-based paints, they are highly toxic to a user who is not using special respirators.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:51 AM
mselby

Default Latex ?

normal filter/respirator type masks.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:55 AM
Dzlstunter

Default Latex ?

By "normal" do you mean requiring an outside source of air being pumped into the respirator mask?
Old 01-08-2002, 04:10 AM
mselby

Default Latex ?

I've been using a regular mask with filter, no outside airsource. I do my painting out doors, I have not used an external air supply. I have used the Spies system a number of times, The Spies dealer in Singapore said the mask with filter was adequate for their system. I used the Chevron system once, again without forced air. Their literature also did not spec this, but I did not inquire.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Dzlstunter

Default Latex ?

I have not gotten to the clear coat stage yet, but have acquired some water-based Varathane Diamond floor finish urethane which is supposed to make a good clear coat. It is available in gloss or satin. If I use it at all, I will be using the satin, as I am finishing in a military pattern. Since I fly some diesels, I should not need to clear coat the latex, but I have been thinking about using it, anyway (just in case I later want to retrofit a glow engine).
Old 01-08-2002, 07:00 PM
Ed

Default DZL, and others ?

Let us know how your Urathane clear coat works out ?

My primary concern is YELLOWING with age ?

Thanx

Jim Lynch - Forum Moderator
Old 01-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Dzlstunter

Default Latex ?

I have used other WATER BASED urethanes before (to seal decals, etc.) and did not experience any yellowing. Of course, my aircraft usually don't last long enough to stand the test of time! But I have read on other forums that the water-based urethanes do not have the same tendency to yellow as the solvent-based urethanes--but that is hearsay, you understand. I don't think I would risk urethane over a white, but I have used it over orange without noticeable yellowing for two years. John