Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Piper Cub from Hanger 9

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Piper Cub from Hanger 9

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 12:23 PM
Daniel Gut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piper Cub from Hanger 9

Hallo There

The Piper J3 from Hanger 9 looks very nice and seems to be reasonably priced, can anyone tell me a little more about the Model, kit quality and Flying characteristics. I have been flying sailplanes for a few years and am looking for a trainer that I can learn to aerotow with.
Many Thanks

Regards

Daniel
Old 10-08-2002, 01:29 PM
CSpierings
My Feedback: (29)

Daniel,

I've put together two of them. I'm not much of a fan of the wooden motor mount which comes with the kit. On my first it failed the first time I put a torque starter to an OS 70. To be fair when I contacted Horizon about the issue they made good on it.

It is a nice flier. I've flown the ones I had off floats, skis and of course wheels. BOth were powered with OS 70s, overpowered.

The thing I liked least were the aileron servo mounting plates. They are made of plastic and flex when the servo is actuating the contorl surface. I eventually added 1/32 ply stiffeners. I've never heard of them failing but I didn't want to risk it.

I've sold both of mine but I'll probably build another some day.

Chris
Old 10-08-2002, 11:53 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I pretty much wore mine out...It is a great flyer and a lot of fun......oh ya, we aero towed with it too!

There were a few minor things that needed work. If they still supply screws to use as wheel axles - don't use them....they grind away the wheel hub....when the wheels wear out - and they will - replace them with some DuBro Cub wheels...lighter and stronger.

I modified the wing struts so I could use them in the air....looks more like a Cub. I spliced them together in a "V" shape using epoxy and put ball links on the ends so they were easy to install and remove. I used the little dinky tank they supplied right up to the end...I replaced the metric brass and fuel tubing with standard sizes. It gave plenty of endurance even with the bigger engines.

Engines...lessee...started with a Saito 56....plenty of power, but a little doggy on floats...then a Surpass 70 which had just a bit more power - enough to make it a very comfortable float plane.......then I put on a Saito 91 for towing. This is way too much engine for normal flying, and the Saito would be better suited in a larger plane. What ever engine you use, make sure it has a reliable and low idle....the cub will float forever in ground effect if there is any kind of residual thrust....

I can't say I ever had a bad day flying that thing, and, in the end, I gave it to a friend who is rebuilding it to fly again....
Old 10-10-2002, 04:49 AM
Daniel Gut

Default Thank you

Thank you very much for the promt replies. I have sent a mail to
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ to see if they can send one in my direction soon.

Regards
Daniel