Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Marutaka/Royal Bearcat

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Marutaka/Royal Bearcat

Old 07-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Jacko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marutaka/Royal Bearcat

Hi,

I've just acquired a kit for a Royal/Marutaka Bearcat and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the model or pictures they'd be willing to share. I'm more used to flying scale aerobats or larger civillian types (recent models include a plan built 90" span Fairchild Argus and Midwest Super Stinker) and this will be my first warbird project, I've always liked the Bearcat since I saw the full-size fly and when this kit came up saw it as a good opportunity. What engines have people being using and what landing gear have you gone for? Would you recommend installing retracts or is the weight penalty in the favour of using fixed gear? Also, what engines have you gone for, I'm initially leaning towards a Saito 100 or OS 91 FS. I'm hoping for a AUW of between 10-11lb, but any areas for weight saving would be great. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:53 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Marutaka/Royal Bearcat

The plane builds very light. I'll have to go weigh mine but you'll be surprised how light the fuselage is (very little blocks are used, it's almost all planked)

I put in Century Jet Models retracts with the tank in the wing (wing is thick at the root) so you don't have to worry about connecting/disconnecting air lines. I use a servo for tail wheel retract.

Mine has an ST .90 two stroke in it. I'll probably switch it out for a .91 4 stroke just to swing a bigger prop (big cowl). You don't need a "big" engine as the plane is lightweight.

The kit is a head scratcher to build (very little info on how to do things) but if you have a few kits under your belt it's a no brainer.

I'll post pics later (I'm at work)

Don
Old 07-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Jacko

Hi Don,

Thanks for that, always good to hear from someone who's built something you're about to tackle and find out what systems they've had success with or any pitfalls they've found, I'll look forward to seeing you pics.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:01 AM
R8893

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One of my clubmates had one that flew very well until the day he connected the aileron lead to the retract plug and vice versa. Takeoff involved a slow roll to its death with the wheels frantically going in and out.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:30 AM
hattend

Here is my Marutaka Bearcat. Modeled after Howard Pardue's Reno Race plane.

Yes, I know the gear are wrong but Century Jet sent them with the gear reversed and I can't get one gear leg loose so I left it as is. May change it later.

These pics were taken before I had finished it up... and it's using a display prop.

Monokoted wings and fuselage with the cowl glassed and painted with Cheveron Monokote matching paint. Super Tigre .90 2 stroke. I didn't put flaps on the plane but you always could if you want to do the engineering.

Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58848.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	301693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13892.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	301694   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26816.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	301695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77103.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	301696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc39346.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	301697  
Old 07-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice looking Bearcat Don.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:02 PM
fireguyH535

Hello, ive aquired a Marutaka F8 Bearcat but it is missing plans and instructions, does any one have or know where i can get plans and instructions for this kit. I have searched with no luck cant even find the distributor it has a sale receipt that says The Hobby Barn purchased in 2000 for $189.00 and link does not work.

Please Help!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: fireguyH535

Hello, ive aquired a Marutaka F8 Bearcat but it is missing plans and instructions, does any one have or know where i can get plans and instructions for this kit. I have searched with no luck cant even find the distributor it has a sale receipt that says The Hobby Barn purchased in 2000 for $189.00 and link does not work.

Please Help!

Try ebay.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:58 PM
hattend

It's a long shot but call Hobby Barn and see if they have copies of the plans.

The most they can do is say no...but you may get lucky.

There were no instructions in the Marutaka kits, all you need to know concerning the assembly is drawn on the plans. I do believe that the Royal kits had a one or two sheet "instruction" manual.

Don
Old 04-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Kelsey_B

The Royal kit did come with a few typed pages of instructions, most of which I believe are repeated on the plans, but I'll see if I can track mine down and scan them this weekend.

Keith
Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Kelsey_B

if anyone is still interested, I have the instructions scanned into an Adobe Acrobat file. I tried to upload it, but I suspect the file size is too large. There are actually 12 pages of information that came with my kit. For anyone interested, just send me a pm with your email address.

Keith
Old 04-28-2009, 05:51 PM
7aso
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fireguyH535

Please Help!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-GRUMMAN-F8...3A5%7C294%3A50
Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
HE-162

I used the CJ P-51 retracts, I'd just like to say I am not impressed with them at all, but I guess they should work.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:30 AM
HE-162

Double post
Old 05-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Pippin

Hi,

For my Marutaka Hayabusa I had the O.S. 91 FS in mind as well. But since I have seen this movie and flown my SAAB B17 dive bomber (Swedish Stuka in fact) I am not sure if you need all that power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbfeWUodxhU

The Bearcat is a bit bigger but a Saito 82 or O.S. 82A might be just right.

A Saito 82 propels the Kyosho Kawasaki here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkmTjKgyArc

The green bird, the SAAB B 17, is powered by a ASP-61FS. This bird is a bit bigger than the Bearcat.
The Hien is a bit difficult to land since idle gives almost enough power to climb away. Thus, a prop with less pitch had to be choosen. The resullt is that the overpowered low pitch prop flown Hien has got some problems in interecepting the Swedish Stuka flown with a prop with higher pitch. Rightsizing is almost some kind of science.

This videos might give you some orientation.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 PM
dpoles

How did this end up?
I am looking to start a Royal Bearcat frpm plans. I am trying to get an AUW for an electric conversion and any retract help would be great

Thanks
David
Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 AM
passionre

Plan on using a lot more hardwood in the retract areas...this is a real weak point of this kit, as in most. If your kit is one of the original types(planked cowling with aluminum nose piece), reinforce inside the planking and nose attachment with cloth and glass or epoxy. Engine vibration will cause seperation due to construction design. If you go mechanical retracts, use one servo per gear. The length between gear and hardwood wheel pants will overload a 136 futaba bigtime. This kit is hard to build light unless you skin the control surfaces and other areas as well. Even heavy, they fly well and dont stall that easily. Personally, a kit of this nature deserves KB cloth and epoxy paint. Monokote is just too difficult with the compound curves involved and the finished product with cloth is just superb. Engine...if your after scale sound, YS FZ91 would be my first choice. Econo 2 cycle...Supre Tigre 90. You need a huge prop to compensate for the huge cowling Dont underpower this kit! Congrats on the Bearcat! wise choice!...Jim