Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

indiana jones flying wing?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

indiana jones flying wing?

Old 09-05-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default indiana jones flying wing?

i dont know if this counts as scale but has anyone built the flying wing from raiders of the lost arc? the one that was going to fly the arc to berlin (it was the only one in the movie). as far is i know this was never a real plane. it was a big plywood mockup. i would like to make one out of foam. i think it would have to be electric because it would be hard to get the cg right with 2 ic's in the back. i would like to go with a 40in wing span. also what is the biplane the last crusade?
thanks
Old 09-05-2005, 07:20 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: indiana jones flying wing?

as far is i know this was never a real plane.
I believe that it is a plane that was designed, but never built. I read something about it somewhere and I don't think that it was a German design, but I could be wrong.

also what is the biplane the last crusade?
I believe that it is a Tiger Moth, but it's been a while since I've seen the movie. Hope this helps.

Woops
Old 09-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

I asked about the existence of the flying wing a couple of years ago on another site. The consensus was that it never existed as a design or prototype. Although there were a number of interesting German flying wing designs made before and during the war. I still don't understand why a non-existent aircraft was used in the movie. The only thing I can think of, is that it's design lent itself to the action that unfolded in the scene where Indy tries to prevent the plane from leaving with the Ark.

I wan't to say the biplane was a Bucher Jungman. But it's been a while since I've seen The Last Crusade also.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:54 PM
50%plane

According to http://www.indianajones.com/raiders/...s20031014.html, "The Nazi "Flying Wing" was created to reflect Hitler's advanced state of aeronautics and was built using a Flying Wing prototype created by Northrop-Grumman." Also the Bucher I believe was the escape plane in the opening scenes of Raiders of the lost arc.

Woops
Old 09-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

And here's a site I just remembered. www.indygear.com/props/planes.shtml
This site says that the biplane Indy used to escape the Hosvitos is a Waco UBF-2.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:54 AM
iaclmac

So you like the unusual aircraft Germany developed during WWII. Well I am not sure if the aircraft in the movie was real or experimental. However if you want to check out all those aircraft and more go to the following site: http://luft46.com . I think you may find more that just that one plane of interest. They have extensive 3-views of all the German experimental aircraft.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:11 PM

this is a start. time for some cad work. also the biplane i was talking about was the one they escaped from the zepplin in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27382.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	320513  
Old 09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
50%plane

All I remember of that schene is that big Tigermoth tail when Indiana was trying to turn and his dad shreds it with his machine gun. With that being said it would be odd for Nazis to have a Tiggie, but movies don't always make sense. That's all that I can remember.

Woops
Old 09-06-2005, 06:44 PM
DanSavage

ORIGINAL: 102511
also what is the biplane the last crusade?
Modified Stampe SV4. The Tigermoth and Stampe have similar fuselages, landing gear and wings.

One look at the tail feathers reveals it to be a Stampe.

Interesting piece of trivia. The Stampe SV4 G-AWXZ - appeared in Aces High, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Mummy, and was also used in the "Doctor Who" (1963) story "The Deadly Assassin".

Dan
Old 09-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

This is a cool plane. It is all imaginary, but I think with some aerodynamic study it could be made to fly. I would like to see a 15 or 20 ft. version of it. Something huge and menacing. People would think it was a legitimate aircraft that actually flew. It would be quite a conversation piece.

Leo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53969.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	320712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87005.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	320713  
Old 09-06-2005, 09:54 PM

i was thinking of getting some of those pre cut foam wings for this. 1 constant coard and 2 tapered. http://nastytoesaviation.com/Wings.asp you would just have to cut them to length and sand in the anhedral or dihedral. i might use this to check the cg. it looks like it would be hard to get in the right place.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:28 PM
The PIPE

Dear 102511:

The PIPE Here...the plane that "Iaclmac" MIGHT have been alluding to at Luft '46 can be found at...

http://www.luft46.com/arado/are555s.html

...and that's even though the "version 1" shown there is a fully JET powered flying wing!

That one sure DOES look like it inspired the one Indy had to fight the crew of, though...in the movie...!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:06 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

[8D]I believe this design will fly with no real signifigant mods. It is basicaly an airfoil shaped lifting body in the center with two wings including mild dihedral extending off the sides. I have a bit of experience with the Horton Nurflugel designs as I have built and flown a few. The last was a pusher that combined elements of both the HO-7, and Ho-V-9 types. They fly beautifully. This particular design is obviously a Bomber Type, and cannot be expected to rip up the sky. But I predict it would have a nice stable flight performance. This is an instance where art follows nature, as I'm sure the people who drew this thing up for the Indiana Jones movie looked at a few combinations of German innovative AC designs of the time, like those at Luft 46, and put together some interesting elements they saw there to make an imposing result. Still, somebody build this #@!#$% thing, and I'll put my money on it flying! I would suggest a foam core wing. Thats how I built mine. Cg on flying wings are tricky, depending on the sweep, and end up being a bit further back than you would first imagine. In any case, work these bugs out and I'll bet this thing would be the talk of any flying field. Waaaayy cool.

Regards ZZ.