Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP WITH PAINTING MY 1/5TH CESSNA

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

NEED HELP WITH PAINTING MY 1/5TH CESSNA

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 02:38 PM
RCHYFLYER
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP WITH PAINTING MY 1/5TH CESSNA

I'm ready to paint my TF Cessna 182 it's glassed and primed. What I need help with is trying to get a good paint job and save weight! The plane is at 13lbs right now in primer I would like to do a 3stage pearl white but I'm affraid it will add too much weight. Any ideas out there about how much weight I will be adding with paint?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Ed

Default RE: NEED HELP WITH PAINTING MY 1/5TH CESSNA

ORIGINAL: RCHYFLYER

I would like to do a 3stage pearl white but I'm affraid it will add too much weight.
? ? ? Not familiar with 3stage ? Would you mean System 3 ?

Regardless; you probably won't find a lighter paint then plain old Dope.

> Jim
Old 09-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Blue_Moon_

sand a bit more on the glass?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:14 AM
D Bronk

TRI (3) stage paint job ,as a pearl. will be,STAGE: (1) ground coat.IE . the solid color,your case is WHITE.no pearls in it

(2) the pearl coat,This case also white(pearl) .Its very transparent (opaque)you can see right through it .That is Why you need stage 1.GENERALY 1 or 2 misted cross coats is good depending on the intensity (effect) your after..
THESE are BASE coats and WEIGH next to nothing.YOUR weight will come from the third stage

(3) the clear coat.THE weight is depending on how you spray. I usually spray 1 medium wet coat, in a cross coat pattern.done correctly you will have a clear coat "FILM" about the thickness of ,plastic cellophane wrapping on a cigerette package. It also is not that heavy because half the the weight is the solvents and reducers ,They evaporate out as the paint cures

HERE`s a couple tipsA) Use a light(white )primer ,you`ll get a better "hiding" on your 1`st stage,less ground coats. (B)ask for a "spray card"or two, when you pick up your paints.USE the card by doing to it every thing you do to the plane. Better yet ,do a test run on the card FIRST(practice) to determine what you need to do to get the effect you want,and keep track of, what you did on the back of (how many passes ,air pressure,Gun distance .etc.)it...IT will help you to remember down the road if you need to do a repair to the finish.(C) if you`re not comfortable spraying, 1 med.wet coat of clear than do 2 lighter coats to get the same results.It`s better to not have to sand runs out,but the happy medium is to get a wet look with out pileing the clears on. The wetter the better ( no orange peel) DAVE B.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:58 AM
RCHYFLYER
My Feedback: (1)

thanks Dave do you think I'll will add more then 2lbs to the plane when finished painting with you technique?
Old 09-09-2005, 12:28 PM
D Bronk

It will be in that neighborhood.It depends really on how heavy you spray the clear you can get a real nice job ( shine) If you can wet it out, in 1 good pass.The more rounds you make the more dust you`ll pick up too.RUNs and dust can all be fixed up, but .Its much easier, and better looking, if you can avoid it. YOU guy` s must be able to get the BASF RM DIAMONT line of paints there, Where you are I think I got tech.data here if you want.I know I`ve got it all on C.D.I`m just not sure where it is. I`ll look...These pics are of that paint.I painted a full scale CESSNA a few years back but didn`t take pics,The owner Gained speed and his plane ended up being lighter than the factory paint job that was on it .It got a total stripping, and repaint. D.B.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22595.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	321842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45894.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	321843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm75439.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	23.9 KB