Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Is A Cessna Centurion 210 Possible to Build w/ Retracts?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Is A Cessna Centurion 210 Possible to Build w/ Retracts?

Old 03-09-2006, 02:00 PM
nightflyer01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is A Cessna Centurion 210 Possible to Build w/ Retracts?

Hi, I came across a web site a wile ago that was selling really small (such as 1 inch long) pneumatic cylinders, including one that would operate a rack & pinion type setup (I think). They also had hydraulic cyllinders. The prices were rather reasonable. If any one is interested, the web site is http://www.clippard.com
Old 01-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Spencer K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

check out my post here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...tm.htm#3202650
hopefully i can get some pictures soon.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I think it would be possible, especially if the retract cycle was broken down into 2 separate motions....the first to drop the wheels down towards each other under the belly, and the sceond to rotate them up rearward into the gear wells...

The F-111 had a similar set up with its main gear except that it rotated forward. Air progress did a cut away drawing of the gear back in the 60's sometime - it was clear enough to visualize the motion of the retract cycle. If I remember correctly, only one ram was required to operate both gear... From a motion point of view, it was elegant and simple, and I'm sure a similar system could be used to replicate the 210's gear cycle.....
Old 01-29-2007, 05:27 PM
H5487

Developing such a retract system would make us Cessna 337 modelers happy too. The C210 and C337 had similar gear but with different doors for the main gear.

I used to own a 1967 Cessna 337 (the same model and year that was used in the movie "Bat 21" ) and the gear mechanism was the most maintenance-intensive part of the plane. So much so that most Skymasters have been bellied in at least once in their lives; not as much due to pilot error as to something jamming in the gear mechanism. I was lucky but only because I put her on the jacks and tested the gear a couple of times each year. That was a good airplane and I still miss it - That is, until I remember that both engines hit TBO at the same time and each overhaul was estimated at $15K apiece! [&o]
Old 01-23-2022, 12:25 PM
Flymachine

Default The C210 is no 182

Prepare for some reading… I read and hear often, even by high time aviators that the Centurion is basically a C182 with retracts, this is like saying the P40 is basically a Mustang without the bubbletop. Yes the early marks of 210 were very similar to the 182 but in fact the 210 is a clean sheet design, the major external difference is the cantilevered (no struts) straight wing, no double taper, no fluted surfaces, clean and laminar in profile, it has almost nothing in common with that of the 182, 172 or other strutted wing Cessna singles.

The 210 has a bigger turbocharged engine and a bigger nose to hold it, and a 3 blade prop, the empennage is similar looking but different to the other Cessnas although the vertical and riddder are the same as that of the Skylane model of 182, the cabin and fuselage are different too, just get in a 210 and you’ll immediately notice the difference and there are P models that are fully pressurised.

There are early fixed gear 210’s but it is famous for its backwards retracting tubular main gear that are also unique although very similar to the 337, the mains drop down while swinging through 90deg smoothly and then in a second movement retract up into the aft cargo area, on later models there are bulged gear doors that completely close up the wells, the nose wheel retracts into a well in the chin with sealed doors, the RG models of 182 and 172 employ the same system borrowed from the 210 but they are rare due to the likelihood of gear up landings.

I guess to the casual observer the Cessna singles do look identical but look closer and you’ll see they’re all quite distinct, a trained ear can even hear the difference between them. The 206 is stretched, the 207 is ridiculous, unlike any of her stablemates the 177 Cardinal aerodynamically has more in common with a Caravan208. On a personal note the 210 has always been my favourite Cessna single, it is elegance and sophistication, a superb example of simplicity made sporty and racy, it is a giant leap from the 182 and strutted models and is an absolute dream to fly. I have long wished that the hobby industry would take note of this and that we would see more kits and scratch built 210s instead of the never ending line of 182 rehashes in the same 70s red factory scheme. The 210 deserves much more recognition than it gets but I guess the gear scares many off but even a fixed gear 210 is hotter than the sexiest 182 so let’s figure this gear retraction out and get building.

Btw since this thread was started there have been successful and accurate retracting 210 gear, there’s a guy on YT who did ot very nicely, and he happens to be a fellow countryman (look up aviatix) but no one has published drawings or details of how it works to my knowledge.

​​​​​​​I have designed plans for he 210 for balsa, composites and foam and redesigned and designed again, it’s a very easy form to replicate and although for a time accurate 3 views abs blueprints were hard to come by now they are commonplace…but it does need those retracts so I’ll be watching.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:51 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Flymachine, you responded to a forum that is 15 years since last post. Could be someone will have interest?
Old 01-25-2022, 03:51 AM
Flymachine

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan View Post
Flymachine, you responded to a forum that is 15 years since last post. Could be someone will have interest?
The 210 has not gone away nor has it become any less relevant and the challenge of creating replicable and practical retracts for her is still a challenge that has not been properly overcome so it is very much interesting, what’s more, sometimes you just need to put stuff down on record, anyone looking to build a 210 or investigate the gear can revisit

Last edited by Flymachine; 01-25-2022 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:17 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.aviatixmodels.com/product/cessna-210/