Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Is A Cessna Centurion 210 Possible to Build w/ Retracts?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Is A Cessna Centurion 210 Possible to Build w/ Retracts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Nitrodan73
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is A Cessna Centurion 210 Possible to Build w/ Retracts?

I am interested in building a replica of my fathers Cessna 210. It looks like a 182 but it has retractable gear. I'm sure the plane itself would be possible to build but the retracts would be the pain in the rear since the tuck underneath the body. If anyone knows of any ever built or interested in building one please post. I could get pictures to start on making plans. I probably won't get around to building this thing for a few years but I wanted to get any opinions or ideas form you guys (the experts).
Old 09-16-2005, 10:00 PM
wascamp
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Is A Cessna Centurion 210 Possible to Build w/ Retracts?

Dan,
We had a discussion here on the cessna gear for a 337. I thought it was here in the scale forum but it might have been in the twin section. Someone makes a set of those gear but I cant' remember if it was Sierra Precision, Robart, or other maker. There was even talk of scratching a set but no one could come up with a set of drawings. One fellow even went to the repair manual but he said it was not much help. Keep trying, someone else may be abe to help.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:53 PM
Newflee

Find the aircraft in microsoft flight sim and watch the gear retract from the exterior view. This is something you may have not seen if you are normally riding in the aircraft when retracting. The gear itself is just tubular but the dance it does will be clear from ms sim.
How to do the same with your model just takes some brain work and mock ups.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:03 AM
Nitrodan73

Yeah, I figured it's going to take alot of guesswork and trial and error. If I wanted to get some plans for the plane where do I start? Do I have to draw some up myself or can I get someone to get a picture of the plane and draw from the pictures? I looked all over the place for actual schematics for this plane but nothing has come up. I guess I can call Cessna and ask them if they have any basic drawings.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:13 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Check out this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...tm.htm#3202650
Old 09-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Newflee

How large do you want to build?
If you want to go big you could start with Hostetler's 25% as a platform.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:12 PM
PeterDays

I recently got a Cessna 210 from a friend of mine. He built about 15 -18 years ago out a Royal or Pica kit, he is not quite sure. I believe it was originally a 206 with the fixed gear. He did many mods to it but he never finished it and it has never flown. I have been getting a few of the parts to finish it and hopefully fly it soon. We have good flying wheather year round so it might be in Feb-Mar period.

Pedro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50613.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	388329  
Old 01-15-2006, 06:16 PM
PeterDays

I can only post one picture at a time so here is another

Name:	Ec88865.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	388333  
Old 01-15-2006, 06:20 PM
PeterDays

And another

Name:	Wu60761.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	388335  
Old 01-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Nitrodan73

Can you post more pics of the landing gear mechanism. I think I could build my own with a 182 model. I just need to see pics of the gear and it's inner workings.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:20 PM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

The 210 and other Cessna singles with retracts had two different types of gear legs. The older versions had the spring
steel legs while the newer birds have the tubular steel. Probably won't make any difference in the mechanism but the scale purists would want to know. I hope someone will do a proper job on these gear, I think there are lots of guys wanting to do these planes.
Paul
Old 01-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Nitrodan73

I have access to a real plane. My dad has one that's why I want to build one scale or close to scale. I can take all kinds of pics if anyone is interested. I don't have much building experience but I'd like to try someday.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:25 PM
PeterDays

I dont have pictures of the plane that will show the landing gear mechanism at this moment and I am located at another city so i will have more pictures in a about 3 weeks.

About this plane i can tell you that it is not something I was looking for, I got it from a trade for services from a friend who has been away from RC modelling for about fifteen years. when I started to look for information on this model on the web I could not find anything at all. At this moment I started to become more interested in finishing it and getting it to fly. I don´t think there is another one around. It seems there is no interest in these planes. Work and the lack of fast reliable RC parts access here in Venezuela has not made things easy.

I have been collecting information on the web of the real aircraft to try to finish it as nice as posible when I noticed what ps2727 pointed out about the landing gear. To make this LG system more scale I would have to modify the wheel wells which at this time I think it´s imposible without causing major damage to the skin. It is all glassed, including the inside of the wells. So far a I have not found any struts on the market that will resemble the real ones so I guess it would have to be custom made. Again very dificult around here. I´m also having troble finding scale wheels here, you can see in the pictures that after 15 years aprox. of just standing they warped an cracked. but if i don´t find them soon I´ll jut put some regular Dubros so i can fly it soon. As far as access to the real ones I also get to see a couple every week and airliners.net has plenty pictures.

The engine is an old OS .61 schnuerle. What size prop would you guys recomend?. I would love to put a 3 blade but i am worried that would damper performace too much.

Best regards

Pedro
Old 01-15-2006, 11:17 PM
V2PLUS10

The older 210's had wing struts and main gear doors also. I don't know if the tube gear arrived at the same time the wing struts went away....

Randy
Old 01-16-2006, 12:04 AM
iamrandy

If you can tell me the year of the 210, I should be able to determine whether it has the tubular or spring steel gear.
The 210 landing gear is basically very simple. At the inboard end of gear leg is a rotating geared wheel. The landing gear actuator has a hydraulic arm that meshes to this geared wheel. As the arm moves forward and back, it rotates the landing gear leg up and down. There are very few moving parts. I think this would be doable, but would have to come up with a rack and pinion system of metal.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:12 AM
ExperimentalAviator
My Feedback: (15)

Here is a link to RT Aerospace's price list for the Cessna type gear. It is designed for the Skymaster with a 91" wingspan, but should work in the C-210 if scaled accordingly. http://www.rtaerospace.com/prices.htm

I called Robart about two years ago, asking if they would design and build a Cessna type gear. They said that they had no interest in doing so.

Mike

Old 01-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Nitrodan73

The first year that cessna came out with the open wheel well was 1979. all older versions had the rear doors that opened and closed. They started having problems with the timing of the doors closing before the gear was up so it would bind and get caught in the doors. I have no idea when the tubular gear came into play probaby early seventies.

IAMRandy, do you really think it's possible to make this gear a reality?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:04 PM
iamrandy

The Cessna 210 was first made in 1960, with wing struts. In 1967 these struts were removed. The plane was first made with spring steel main gear, but in 1970 was changed to vanadium tubular steel. Reference: John Frank's Cessna 210 Centurion Buyer's Guide.

Do I think it would be feasible to build a retracting gear mechanism for these models?
Probably not, but who said radio control modelling was a feasible, sensible thing to do?
I do believe it COULD be done, and would be thrilled to help anyone out there who might be a machinist, which I am not.

The full size 210 is a great plane. A healthy hauler, not a slowpoke. And mighty good looking. Whoever built the model for this thread did a fine job in capturing the lines of the Cessna 210.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:55 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Ramon Torres manufactures retractable landing gear for a 91" wingspan Cessna 337. Does the 337 gear function like the 210 gear?

http://www.rtaerospace.com/Cessna02A_kit.htm

Cessna 02A / M337
Semi-Kit $699.00
Standard Kit $899.00
Retractable Landing Gear Kit
(Main Landing gear unit only custom made 6 wks.) $495.00
Old 03-03-2006, 06:00 PM
nightflyer01

Hi, the landing gear on the high wing Cessna's follow the same movements wile retracting, so the set from RT should work. However, they are designed for a composite model which is lighter, and might not be strong enough. Also the 500 dollar price tag along with their smaller scale is a bit of a deterrent. I too was trying to develop plans for a set of retracts, but I cannot get any drawings (I even bought a service manual), so it is currently moth-balled. If the drawings can be created, I know of an on-line machine shop that does CNC work. It should be just a matter of scaling the drawings to fit the plane, and having the parts made. I’m not sure about the price, but I imagine it would be less then the 500 for the RT set.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:18 PM
H5487

grbaker -

The gear mechanisms on the real 337 were virtually identical to those on the 210 with the exception of the rear doors. This is because the shape of the 337's rear fuselage is different than that of the 210.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:28 PM
iamrandy

Just another point...maybe helpful...the Lancair IV uses the same retracting gear mechanism...I have seen giant scsle Lancairs in race trim...i do not know if they use a similar system or not, but perhaps they do.
Really, when the gear retracts it looks like a mosquito taking off, but very few parts moving. It is all done with geometry...anyone wanting some help/ideas, email me and i will do my best to help.
randy
Old 03-06-2006, 12:30 PM
fliir

One other useful point from a scale documentation standpoint: There are several STCs for removing gear doors from older 210 models, so it is possible to model an older version without doors and do it legally by using one of the mods.

David
Old 03-06-2006, 03:18 PM
nightflyer01

Hi, if any one is interested in the gear doors, the service manual I bought does a good job of showing them. Too bad it doesn't show the gear though, it might have been worth buying then.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I have seen the gear parts out of the airplane and have done a few retract tests on the 210. It seems to be a very complex sequence with several seperate actions, but it is just one rotation. As was said, the gear leg is attached at an angle to the trunion, which has a gear on it. The hydraulic actuator has a rack on it that meshes with the gear. It is the angles involved that get the gear down and back. Cessna figured out that the doors were more trouble than they were worth and stopped putting them on. If I remember correctly, the STC involves removing the actuators, riveting the doors onto the plane and cutting holes in them.
Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.