Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

F4U Corsair question

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

F4U Corsair question

Old 12-05-2005, 12:11 PM
BDAD Flyer
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4U Corsair question

Hello,
I am building this Corsair .60 kit and one of the first steps in building the wing is to cut appropriate holes if retracts will be used. I will use retracts, but will buy them later on.
Does anyone know what i should do to make it work. I will be using Robart 615 retracts.

Thank you!!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: F4U Corsair question

It is easier and preferable to built the wing with the retracts in front of you. This way, you know what to cut and what to reinforce. Otherwise, it will be a pain in the butt later on to modify the wing for the retracts. I would go ahead and order the retracts now.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:54 PM
sfsjkid

I second that notion. You didn't mention which kit you have, but generally speaking you'll be making a hole in the main spar. Would be a good idea to keep the hole small. If the budget does not allow, perhaps you could just buy the retract without the hoses, tank etc. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:46 PM
CafeenMan

I third the notion. In fact, I believe you should have everything that will be installed before you even pull the wood from the box. Lay stuff on the plan and make sure it will work to save yourself tons of headaches.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:50 PM
colibri-flyer

I'd agree. I'was building the Corsair, everything was going fine untill I got to build the wings. I hadn't ordered the retracts yet, so I couldn't go on with building! I ordered them now, but can't go futher with building and I'll have to wait till they are here.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

BDAD Flyer,
I agree with the buy now instead of later. However, if for some reason you must continue, I recommend you cut all the ribs for the retract air lines and make removable panels in the bottom of the wing where the retract air lines will go. Good luck.

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 12-20-2005, 01:10 AM
glued2gether
My Feedback: (1)

BDAD Flyer,
Consider this, when you install your retracts, you may need to do some adjustments (add a shim or beef up the area for additional support). This of course will require some epoxy and clamping. It would be much easier to do when you have access to the structure that you are working on. It could be done later but you will have better results if you have all of your parts on hand prior to starting.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:58 PM
charlieoneseven

In my TF corsair the parts provided were tossed and new pylwood parts were installed. Century jet provided the templates to make the new parts and it was a great fit. I did buy the retracts when I bought the kit so there were no waiting periods. I hate to lose steam on a project like this.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:07 PM
bhumintr

I am building the Hanger ( F4U Corsair and was wondering if anyone knows where to get a scale prop? I would like to get one like the one shown on the box. Thanks for any replies!
Old 01-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: bhumintr

I am building the Hanger ( F4U Corsair and was wondering if anyone knows where to get a scale prop? I would like to get one like the one shown on the box. Thanks for any replies!
For static display or for flying? A static display prop can be ordered from here: [link]http://www.aerotechmodels.com/static.htm[/link]

Note that the full size uses a 4-blade prop.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:42 PM
TRF-Inferno

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

For static display or for flying? A static display prop can be ordered from here: [link]http://www.aerotechmodels.com/static.htm[/link]

Note that the full size uses a 4-blade prop.
He wants the exact one on the Hangar 9 box for flying. With the yellow tips, the hub and all that.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:10 AM
Richard L.

Good luck in stuffing a large enough engine in the cowl to swing a prop like on the box. It would take at least a YS 120 to swing a 15x7 wide paddle 3-blade like the one I have on my Hangar 9 Corsair below:

By the way, this is a functional flying prop.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:18 AM
TRF-Inferno

He's going to put a Saito 100 in the Corsair. Richard, can you give a link to where that particular prop can be obtained, perhaps maybe in a 13x8 configuration if possible? Thank you in advance.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Richard L.

I will get the info to you when I get home from work tonight. I can tell you right now that the Saito 100 won't be able to swing a 13x8 3-blade with wide paddle blades as shown. 13x7 maybe.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: TRF-Inferno

Richard, can you give a link to where that particular prop can be obtained, perhaps maybe in a 13x8 configuration if possible? Thank you in advance.
Here is where I got the prop:

Phil Kovar
PK Props
8316 Younkin Drive
Milford, KS 66514
(785) 238-1679

He can make the prop in any diameter and any pitch. The prop is made out of wood, so you must be competent at landing the Corsair without nosing over. Otherwise, you might break a blade or two.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:09 AM
TRF-Inferno

Thank you!