Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Differences between P-51C and P-51D or B?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Differences between P-51C and P-51D or B?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 04:35 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Differences between P-51C and P-51D or B?

Yat, thanks for those pic, my friend. I've never seen those. Definitely go into my collection....

And, Warbird and Gunfighter, thanks for the advice on the vinyl and the reference books. By the way, on vinyl graphics, how does one 'seal' them to keep them from peeling off? I'm planning on using KlassKote, so I don't know what to put over them for a protective finish....

Thanks,

Bob
Old 03-18-2006, 06:42 PM
FlyingTyger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I nor have my customers ever put anything over them to seal them. They are very permanent and also glow/gas proof. However, the graphics you need are very fine and detailed, so a clear coat of any kind would add a little extra protection for them that might be needed to keep them looking good down the road.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:07 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, Warbird. I've never used vinyl graphics before, so have no experience with them. Yeah, with the tiny notes and scales, something could come free, so something would be needed for protection...

Thanks for the information!

Bob
Old 07-03-2018, 02:21 PM
fmarcie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-51B and P-51C differences

There are actually 2 minor difference in the P-51B and P-51C besides where they were built. The P-51B was painted olive drab on the upper surfaces and light gray underneath while the P-51C was not painted but had the natural aluminum finish. Also, the P-51B used a Hamilton Standard propeller but the P-51C used the AeroProducts propeller and this was only due to logistics. Wartime production of the Hamilton Standard props were not keeping up with demand and a suitable replacement was needed. Aeroproducts was contracted to supply the Dallas plant with their 4-blade 11' diameter hollow steel propeller.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:42 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BobH
Chad. sorry I was thinking about the A model with the Dive brakes. Duh Me.
Actually, the "A" was the first US Mustang to be equipped with the Browning 50 Cals. The P-51 was armed with four 20mm cannon. Both of these, as well as the A-36 Apache ground attack version(the one with dive brakes), were powered by the Allison. One other thing of note is that the Merlin powered Mustangs were actually tail heavy when compared to the Allison powered planes due to the Allison's heavier weight. By adding the fuse tank, this became an even larger issue that was only rectified by having pilots use the fuse tank FIRST, even before the drop tanks, to bring the balance back to a more controllable location.
Damn, I just noticed that this thread was dormant for over 12 years before Fmarcie's post

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-03-2018 at 06:45 PM.