Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Retract Questions

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Retract Questions

Old 01-29-2002, 09:16 PM
Herb-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retract Questions

I just installed my 605HD retracts into my Sea Fury wing. They don't work very smoothly but I figure that this is something that I must just accept. The real problem is that they don't always go up all of the way. Without the weight of the wheels, they did fine, but the wheels add enough weight that they get close, but don't always succeed. If I gently touch them, they will continue to retract fully. There is enough pressure in the system. Is there something that I can do? Can I oil the cylinder with something so that it works smoother? Can I oil the rest of the retract?

Thanks,

Herb
Old 01-29-2002, 10:07 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Herb, tyr removing the retracts form the wing mounts and work them on a table. Also hold them in your hand and see if they don't go all the way up. My first guess is you might have a misalignment of the mount plates which will cause a bind, causing the retracts to not fully operate correctly.

John Redman
BVM Rep, Jet Cat USA Rep
Old 01-30-2002, 10:01 PM
I-NAV
My Feedback: (3)

Mine were sticking and I disassembled and cleaned them. I also pumped some Super O Lube (available at any O-ring distr) into the pistons through the fitting and they worked fine. Don't lube anything on the outside. Dust will gum them up.

Mike
Old 01-30-2002, 10:09 PM
Herb-RCU

Thanks, John and Mike.

I tried removing them and this didn't help but thanks for the idea. Mike, is this Super O Lube something I can get at the hardware store?
Old 01-30-2002, 11:40 PM
I-NAV

Maybe. It is a silicone based grease compatable with rubber o-rings. Parker Hannifin Corp is one company who makes it. Look in the phonebook under O-rings or try : BVMjets.com
Bob Violet sells it in small tubes.

Another sugestion is try a larger air tank. Pressure is to voltage as volume is to amperage.... A larger tank may give you more sustained pressure.

Mike
Old 01-31-2002, 07:01 PM
razorback11
My Feedback: (9)

Default retract problems

I once had a set of retracts that had one side that did the same thing. Would not retract all the way. Took it out and found that my air line had a kink in it that I had not previously noticed. If you have taken your gear out already, I assume you have already checked the air lines. Razorbacz11
Old 01-31-2002, 07:18 PM
Herb-RCU

Yea, the lines are not kinked but it was a good thought. I think I will try greasing the pistons and see if that helps. The gear seem sticky as they go up.

Does anyone know if the Silicone Dielectric Compound is similar to the Super O-Lube? The guy at the hardware/automotive store said that people sometimes use it on O-rings, but I don't want to unless I have more verification. I really don't want to have to order it but I will if this doesn't work.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:45 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Herb, another lube for orings is available from any swimming pool supply store. Just go in and ask for some oring lube. It is designed especially for orings and will not hurt them.

John Redman
BVM Rep, Jet Cat USA Rep
Old 02-01-2002, 03:51 AM
badger41

please be careful when operating retracts out of the a/c can you say scissors ! they can and will bite!
first are you useing at least 80 lbs psi second if you have the red control valve, the adjuster screws could have been turned in and slowdown so much as give the problem as you discribe.
the way to adjust the valve is to control the rate of exhaust from the direction of travel so that you will have full pressure on the direction so that you will have enough power to lift your wheels and gear doors against the wind of flying.
hope this helps
tom
Old 02-02-2002, 06:09 AM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default Hanging retract

My question is the same. How much air pressure and what size air tank are you using. I have a wheel that tends to hang out a bit when retracted. All I have to do is roll inverted for a couple of seconds and the weight of the wheel pushes it right up into the wheel well and it locks. That is somewhat of a pain, but it works every time and I don't feel like pulling out the whole system and retract to check the up lock mechanism.
We usually run at least 100lbs of pressure in our retracts.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2002, 05:07 PM
Herb-RCU

I am using about 80 lbs of pressure and so maybe more will help. But even at 100 lbs, the pressure will drop to 80 quite quickly when the gear are cycled a couple of times. How many cycles should I be able to get out of a fill?

The retracts will close all of the way if I don't slow them down but this is definately not the desired affect. As was explained in a previous post, these retracts will close if the plane was inverted, but that is annoying.

I think that I will also try and lube the cylinders. How do I get them apart?
Old 02-04-2002, 10:43 PM
I-NAV

You Don't have to take them apart. Just squirt the lube into both air nipples with a hypodemic needle. Don't put too much though.