Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Bob Holman plans ?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Bob Holman plans ?

Old 02-01-2002, 05:19 PM
Guardian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bob Holman plans ?

Does any one know Bob Holmans e-mail ? and has anyone ever built his F4U-1 Corsair ?, what are the good and bad things about the plan .
Old 02-01-2002, 09:27 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[email protected] or 909-885-3959

He has at least two plans sets for the Corsair, which one are you referring to? Regards, Chad.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:31 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Hi

I would call Bob. (909) 885-3959.

He has a 75" glass fuse Corsair. A value that you can"t beat and quality epoxy glass work.

I have the Hellcat and P-51.

Figure in the low to mid $200.00.

Every Corsair I've had always flew very forgivingly. some times heavy, but CG'ed correctly with some airspeed still no problems.

Steve
Old 02-02-2002, 11:56 PM
Guardian

Default da' 82" span

I am refering to the 82"inch span, its 1/6th scale and looks pretty darn good for what i have seen of it.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:20 AM
Chad Veich

Default Taylor Corsair

Guardian, I had the Brian Taylor plans for the 82 inch Corsair although I have now passed them on. All of Taylor's plans are fantastic in my opinion. Parts fit is excellent, clarity is top notch, etc. He does get a bit fanatical about hiding things such as wing bolts and cowl fasteners but if you're not going all out scale these things are easy to change. The landing gear looked a bit overly complex and possibly a bit weak to me, they are from Unitracts, but I suppose it would not be impossible to modify the airplane to use Robarts if need be. Basically, the airplane is designed to be SCALE and Taylor has taken no short cuts to make it so. If you want a sport flyer then maybe the Iron Bay or Top Flite kits would be a better choice. Hope this helps at least a bit, Chad.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:02 PM
bookmaker
My Feedback: (24)

Guardian,

I have the plans for the 82" bird, and have had a kit cut for it. There is a major weakness in his design. The spars around the wheel wells are not strong enough. If you look at the plans, they are basically laminated balsa. I had these parts cut from aircraft ply and I believe they will provide an excellent wing. Bob sells a laser cut short kit for this bird that I would expect is very nice. He also sells a very nice canopy, cowl and wing leading edges at the curve. DO BEEF UP THE SPARS. Another related area I've found is that retract availability is limited. Robarts appear to require to much of the above spar to be removed to clear them. I have found a set of custom made gear by Earl Aune that I plan to use.

Good Luck
Old 12-25-2011, 08:16 PM
corsair647

Default RE: Bob Holman plans ?

Hello,

Does anyone know if Bob Holman has a websiteto order short kits? I go to BobHolman plans but know where can you order. Is it atelephone system only?

Corsair7
Old 12-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: corsair647

Hello,

Does anyone know if Bob Holman has a website to order short kits? I go to Bob Holman plans but know where can you order. Is it a telephone system only?

Corsair7
Telephone only so far as I'm aware, although you may possibly be able to send him an email. I've always found you get much better service from Bob if you call him directly however.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

also do a search on Earl Aune.
He did a Holman Corsair years ago and has homemade tailwheel retract and wing folding plans. I'm assuming it is the 82" one. Been to many yeras to recall th wingspan but not the 60 size. it was awesome.

r, Mike P.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give him a call , 909-885-3959. as far as the 82 inch corsair , the only prob is the retracts , in my opinion , i would try to get a pair of sierras , because the unitracts are way overpriced if you figure in the over the pond exchange rate. robarts wont fit.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Dean rcu
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Guardian

Does any one know Bob Holmans e-mail ? and has anyone ever built his F4U-1 Corsair ?, what are the good and bad things about the plan .
I have built both the 76" and the 82" BT Corsairs. The only bad thing I found was the trying to get the Landing gear mains in the scale location. No problen with the 76" version as I was able to get a hold of one of Earl Aune's set of gears. On the 82" version I used Unitracts which are not very scale.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99026.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1706666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74658.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1706667  
Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 AM
JohnF

You can email Bob here [email protected] He is recovering from knee surgery so I don't know how mobile he is right now. Good luck.