Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Airplane racks for your van?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Airplane racks for your van?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:05 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airplane racks for your van?

OK, this isn't directly related to scale but it is related to how you get those multiple scale models out to the flying field. I just acquired a used family-type van and was thinking of making some sort of rack to put in the back for transporting models.

Anyone got a picture of their rack they'd care to share?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Props4ever

Default RE: Airplane racks for your van?

Hey,

Im in this same situation also, i like to see how guys have made racks to in there Vans to accomodate multiple models to get them to fields and contests...

Sammy
Old 07-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

What I have done with my van is:

From the front coat hooks I have strung 2 bungee cords across the width of the van. I did the same with the rear coat hooks. Now I slide my wings (2 - 3 depending on the chord ) between the 2 bungee cords and keep them separated with clip clothspins clamping the 2 bungee cords together. No problem with the wings banging on the roof of the van either.

For the planes I used some 1" 1/4 round stock I had laying around in the scrap wood bin. Cut 4 pieces about 4" - 6" long. glue these to some 1" wide lath strips with the curve on the inside. Space the 1/4 round about 1" - 1 1/2" apart at the bottom. Put one set under each plane. I can usually carry 3 60 size planes comfortably with this setup. The wheel chocks make positioning the planes easy and under NORMAL driving conditions the planes do not shift around.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:35 PM
the-plumber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you'll go find the several threads about trailers you'll find a number of rack configurations amenable to vans, as a starting point.

Couple of points about racks . . .

Make it adjustable, to accomodate models of varying sizes.

Stabilizing a rack in a panelled trailer is simple, but in a van that's not so simple. You'll need some way to make the rack stable - perhaps a rack on either side facing inboard, and joined across the tops and bottoms, might work.

You'll want to use some padding of some sort to avoid "rack rash".

You'll want restraints of some sort to prevent the wings and fuselages hopping off the rack on less than wonderful roads.

Photos show a rack I've been using for a couple decades now. It's been moved to three States and been in constant use in half-a-dozen building rooms and shops. I've got two more just like it in my present building shop.

I dunno what sort of OTS materials are available in your neck of the woods, but this rack design uses slotted 'tracks' which are normally screwed to a wall, and the track accomodates shelf brackets which hook into the tracks. Apartment dwellers use 'em a lot because they're simple. My variation was to use standard one-piece shelf brackets (the stamped steel variety) to attach 1-foot 'feet' to the two upright studs, and to join the uprights with simple cross braces. I used the 2"x4" studs so I wouldn't have to attach the rack directly to the wall - helps reduce the number of holes in the wall you have to patch and paint when it's time to move to new digs.

First photo shows a track (with a bracket) screwed to a 2"x4" stud, second photo shows a load test of the free-standing unit (a 25 pound wing box and kit full of balsa stock box on the top shelf). The assembled unit leans back slightly, and when fully loaded stands straight up.

You wouldn't use it that way in a van or trailer without some means of securing it to the vehicle walls, but the basic design should work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83896.gif
Views:	343
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	494403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24373.gif
Views:	355
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	494404  
Old 07-23-2006, 11:08 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

I was having the same problem with hauling planes in the van. I had built one PVC rack that held two wings and one fuselage on top. It is handy because it just slides out out of the van and goes straight to a plane stand at the field. I then decided to build this one to help haul more planes safely to other clubs Fly Ins. I have modified it once since the first build. I took the short stub in the middle out on both sides and built two fuselage holders to take the place of the stubs. Don't know if the last pic shows the mod very well or not to tell what is really different. The rack just sits on top of the arm rests for what would be the rear bench seat. I have a support in the middle to help support the weight, thats the piece lying on the ground with no foam insulation. I only have one bungi strap holding it down to the floor and so far that seems to be working great. One other thing I did was to go fitting by fitting and tap the pvc pipe into the fitting with a rubber mallet. I then drilled a 1/16th" hole on each end, and then took a servo screw to make the fitting solid. This way, instead of needing to saw things in two to make a mod due to using glue and wasting a bunch of good fittings, I can now simply take out the servo screw, and use the same fittings to make what ever change I need to.

Hope this helps you a little. You really can pack a bunch of planes in safely without worrying about a bunch or road rash.

Name:	Jh15280.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	495966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15128.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	495967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94990.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	495968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16884.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	495969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72551.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	495970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59245.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	495971  
Old 07-24-2006, 03:08 AM
abufletcher

Thanks Gregg! That's just the sort of thing of I was thinking about! I like the idea of having something I could slide in an out.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:55 PM
bajaloya

Hi Abufletcher, I live on a island with no so much regulations...so I take the plane RTF from home to the field ...on racks. I hope this helps

Name:	Qo40619.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	498340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75010.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	498341  
Old 07-29-2006, 07:20 AM
abufletcher

So how fast can you drive before the bipe starts to lift the car off the ground!
Old 07-29-2006, 06:33 PM
bajaloya

I can go as fast as 60KPH, after that, I do need another kind of license...

Good luck with you Van project!
Old 07-30-2006, 01:38 AM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dude, I'm suprised that doesn't damage the aircraft.

The wings are at a high angle of attack relative to the wind flow,
especially with the compressed air coming over the windshield. The
compressibility might mean the aircraft is experiencing 80 KPH+ at
20+ degress AoA.