Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
DR1 cowl natural finish? >

DR1 cowl natural finish?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

DR1 cowl natural finish?

Old 01-06-2003, 05:37 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DR1 cowl natural finish?

Any tips on how to get the burnished natural finish some of the DR1's sport? I'm working on the BUSA 1/4 scale and have Stan's fiberglass cowl. I'm going to experiment by putting my Dremel to some aluminum paint. I have the bottom cowl cut out I can use as a test bed. All input welcome. Thanks
Old 01-06-2003, 09:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Cabane,

Don't know if this will help you and I've never tried it but here is how the King of Giant Scale does it:

Exact quote from High Flight Magazine, "Building the Spirit of St. Louis" by Nick Ziroli, SR . (Winter issue 1998)

"The nose should be painted with aluminum colored epoxy paint. This will give the thickness to apply the machine turning that is such a focal point on the Spirit. For added authenticity the nose can be covered with wide, 8", aluminum tape. I don't have a source for this tape but had some on hand from a past job and used it with excellent results.

The machine turning was done on the aluminum by burnishing it in with a Dremel hand tool. A 1" diameter disc of Type A, very fine, Scotch-Brite polishing pad was epoxied to the end of a Dremel grindstone. Scoth-Brite pads are available in hardware stores in 6" x 9" pads in many grades. This is run at a moderate speed, you will need a speed control, and pressed lightly to the painted or aluminum surface. With a little trial and error and practice very realistic machine turning can be reproduced. Start at the top of the nose and work around each side to the bottom forming one row. Form a second row staggering the turnings halfway between the first row. Continue this back to where the fabric covering begins, 18 to 20 rows. Mask the fabric so it will not get any turning marks on it."

Saw his Spirit at Rhinebeck-very, very nice.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:45 AM

i just finished my scrratch built cowel for my Fokker DIII. I used aluminum paste mixed with dope. a few coats so it was quite thick. this gives the 'beef' you need to dig into when burnishing or else you will go into your sheeting or what have you. then i sprayed on a few coats of that aluminum stuff (forgot the name but it is 2 letters and one is a K) used for plastic models. then applied the aluminum powder that comes in the kit and buffed. then i made grinding wheels out of swatches of foam sanding block and taped to end of large finishing nails. and vola. ill try to attach a file of one of the eindecker cheek cowels.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	87266_38479.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	28303  
Old 06-17-2003, 06:46 AM

hard to tell in the photo but the light picks up nicely at different angles.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:35 PM

Glenn Torrance has a Fokker cowl that should fit the Dalse USA triplane and probably DVIII.

This is our 1/4 scale aluminum Fokker cowling kit. It comes complete with all the needed hardware to mount and re-create a Fokker cowling. Some of the cowling kit features are fasteners, cable, posts, manufacturing plate, cable groove, drill bit and photo illustrated instructions. The cowl can be mounted using the supplied cable or if desired screws. Approx. size - 10-1/2" diameter and 4" deep. Visit our photo galleries to see finished cowlings.

Order - Fokker cowling kit $69.50

Link with photo. . .
http://www.gtmodels.com/web/pages/NEW-PRODUCTS.htm