Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

painting a cowl

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

painting a cowl

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 08:57 PM
lewy73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting a cowl

Can you use a airbrush to paint a cowl, I have a 1/3 .scale cub and the cowl did not match the covering and I had some paint mixxed up and I need to spray it and have never used a airbrush. What do you clean the cowl with and what do you use to clean the airbrush? Thanks Don
Old 09-03-2006, 08:13 AM
ec121connie

Default RE: painting a cowl

Hi,

An airbrush will do a great job of spraying a cowl. I have been using an old Paasche since back in the late 60's to spray everything from aircraft parts to motorcycles. Binks and Badger air brushes work equally as well.

The correct solvent to clean up is the same as you use to thin the product for spraying. Ask the supplier of the paint you bought for the recommended thinner or reducer. They should be able to recommend the proper one for the shop conditions. Temperature and humidity play into the calculation a bit.

If your first attempt doesn't come out as nice as you would like, call it primer, sand it down and spray it again.

Here is a photo of a 1/4 scale Cub that I finished up for a friend of mine.

SeYa .....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68168.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	518088  
Old 09-03-2006, 09:04 PM
lewy73

Thanks for the info, I am painting a cowl and landing gear on a 1/3 scale cub, Thanks Don.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tip for you.

Get a piece of regular glass and stand it vertical. Practice spraying on the glass until you can spray without any runs or sags. This will also allow you to play with the thinning and air pressure for the type of paint you are using.