Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Spitfire roundel standards ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Spitfire roundel standards ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spitfire roundel standards ?

Check the Pic below. I have seen different roundel diameters used on Spittys, but these appear abnormally small. What do you think ? Were there standard propotions to be used by the RAF ? Also, there appear to be two of them on the fuselage, what's that all about ?
And lastly, is the white stripe on the wing considered an invasion stripe, what is it's significance ? I'm in the process of finishing my own, and I'm looking for some accurate information regarding roundel diameter standards. Were there any ?

Thanks for your help.

> Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78023.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	529888  
Old 09-25-2006, 01:02 AM
CTDavies

Default RE: Spitfire roundel standards ?

The Spitfire on that picture is Royal Australian Airforce, Middle east Theatre of Ops. The paint job look quite accurate. There were many Roundel Standards during the war. Which Mk Spitfire do you want to do and for which period of the war?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:02 AM
Merlin65

It's actually a RAF 17 SQN Spitfire in SEAC markings. This particular aircraft was flown by "Ginger" Lacey.
The roundel sizes are accurate.
--
Merlin65

Edit: The white stripes were for identification. By the time the MK XIV became operational in the far east they had absolute air superiority over the Japanese and were in little danger from the Japanese air force. There was a good chance of being shot down by trigger happy "friendly" ground fire however and these stripes were an attempt to minimise this.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Merlin65
Edit: The white stripes were for identification. By the time the MK XIV became operational in the far east they had absolute air superiority over the Japanese and were in little danger from the Japanese air force. There was a good chance of being shot down by trigger happy "friendly" ground fire however and these stripes were an attempt to minimise this.
This is also why the red was removed from SEAC markings, hence the two color roundell and fin flash.

Jim, if you find a particular paint scheme you want to model just drop me a note and I can provide you with the standards for roundell size, color, and placement.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Ed

Thanks guys, and I was hoping ole Chad would jump in. He's my in-state scale expert. Just sporty scale here gang, nothing serious. Just re-finishing a 10 year old Spitfire in typical grey, with green camo, and in my search, came across the photo included here. The Spit in the photo seems to be well detailed and weathered. I just questioned the smallish roundels ? I guess maybe there were few standards in the way of roundel diameter, especially after the good guys started wearing stripes.

My Spitty will maybe look like a Mark XVI, with a bubble canopy.

Thanks for your input. And Chad, hope to see you at Superstition next month.

> Jim
Old 09-25-2006, 06:19 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

JIm, there were standars developed by the RAF that were applied to all RAF planes. These included fighters, bombers and others. I have a book that discusses all the markings of the RAF from 1936-1945.. and you can see the development of the camo and the markings for that time period.
If you need any Info.. feel free to ask..
Old 09-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Spent Case

During the war in the Pacific, white stripes, bands and such were used by USAAF, RAF/Commonwealth aircraft for IFF purposes. Lots of white was used on aircraft in New Guinea and Guadalcanal. Natural metal finish aircraft tended to carry black stripes.

I haven't looked into it, but I'm guessing that's how the "bars" in the US insignia came about.

Ed-
Old 09-26-2006, 04:52 PM
flapper

RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) roundels used during Pacific Operations involved the removal of the red inner circle. Reason, a number were shot down by allied aircraft who confused them with Jap meatball.[:@] RAF used the dark blue/light blue roundel based in Burma for operations north of the Pacific region. Again not to be mistaken for Jap.

Also used the white leading edge to signify allied aircraft. Picture is of Clive (Killer) Caldwells Spitfire he flew in the Pacific in addition to his Kittyhawk.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64343.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	530918  
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 PM
flapper

Should clarify that Caldwell also served in the European Theatre. Not too many German and Finnish planes in the Pacific
Old 09-26-2006, 05:51 PM
flapper

Ooops. My apology to anyone from Finland. Caldwell served in the Middle East prior to returning to Australia and flying in the Pacific
Theatre. His kills were a combination of German, Italian and Japanese. I think I need some sleep......or a smack to the head with a wet mullet.[&o]