Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

How Do You Make a Shinny Spring Look OLD?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

How Do You Make a Shinny Spring Look OLD?

Old 10-09-2006, 04:40 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Do You Make a Shinny Spring Look OLD?

I have some nice shinny new springs I'm using on flying wires. I want to make them look old, i.e., blackish/bronzish. Is there any way other than painting them. Some way to dull them down substantially; something to dip them in, etc. thanks.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Do You Make a Shinny Spring Look OLD?

Your local gun shop can probably help you out.

What you want in Browning Solution (not bluing). It is what was used on firearms circa 1860. Gives a nice dark brown appearance. If they have an antique or reproduction gun in the shop look at the finish. You will see exactly what browning is. It is a relatively simple process to do.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:45 PM
topgun61

Splais, you can also look in the yellow pages under "plating" what you are looking for is a company that offers "black oxide" or "phosphate" plating. This is a very common finish in the automotive for metal parts rather that actual painting or powder coating. This is a durable dull finish just what you are looking for. Usually for what you want done the plating company will just "drop" your parts in the tank along with a larger order they might not even charge you, I've done this several times and it worked for me everytime.

Regards
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Flak

How about using a Hobby Torch? This will recolor those springs. A lit wooden match may also do the job. Good Luck.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

The model railroad guys have a product that I think was called Backen or Blacken it ....just dip it and shiny goes away...
Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Laird SS

Flak,

When you use a torch, you remove the heat treatment in the spring material. I guess that's OK if all you want is the coiled material, but not good if you want a spring to be springy. The coloring products from a gun or sporting goods store is a lot better. If you can get a parkerized finish, it will give paint a good grip. Model railroaders even have neat colors like rust, dirt, etc available.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Reg Hinnant
My Feedback: (9)

Blacken-it used also by the ship modelers works well.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:07 PM
khodges

Another product to use that will change the color of metal is lead patina, used in stained glass. It's available in black, brass (bright and antique) and copper. Lead takes it readily, other metals might need repeated coats to achieve desired depth of color. It is usually sold in 3 to 12 oz. bottles at any place that sells stained glass supplies. It's a thin liquid like water, just rub it on with a dampened cloth, or dip the desired object. A lot like gun bluing in how it works.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:05 PM
simark
My Feedback: (12)

I'm not sure how the spring steel will react, but I once saw a TV program where an antique dealer was tring to make a new steel something look old. He put it in cow waste (liquid or solid- I can't remember) and the acid "aged" the steel.
Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, what a bunch of great ideas.

I went with the gun "browning"method. Got a gun shop right down the toad. It worked great, took about five minutes and turned those nice shinny springs into the grungiest, old WWI springs you ever saw . thanks