Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
 Nieuport 11 Le Prieur rockets >

Nieuport 11 Le Prieur rockets

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Nieuport 11 Le Prieur rockets

Old 11-20-2006, 10:11 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nieuport 11 Le Prieur rockets

Does anyone know how the rockets are attached to the struts? This is the best image I could find. It appears that wooden slats are strapped to the struts. The tubes holding the rockets appear to be strapped to the slats, possibly with belt-like straps with buckles.

What are the tubes made of? They look as though they might be bamboo. Also, how were the rockets fired? They must have been wired to the cockpit somehow, but no wires are visible in this image.

Can anyone help with this?

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargra...959_01_500.jpg
Old 11-23-2006, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nieuport 11 Le Prieur rockets

I would doubt bamboo, as every joint in bamboo has a partition that divides that portion from the next. If bamboo, these partitions would need to be drilled out (maybe not all that difficult). Your photo does not show the bamboo joints which are very noticeable on bamboo. Your photo's tubes look like pipe or tubing of some sort. Don't forget that Fokker was using steel tubing to build fuselages, so steel tubing was available.

My guess is that the rockets were fired by some type of electrical contact. The operative word being GUESS.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:35 AM

Thanks, Mode.

I posted this question on http://rcscalebuilder.com/ (another great resource) and someone posted a much clearer version of the same photo. It is obvious from it that the tubes are metal. It is also much more clear as to how everything is mounted. It looks like everything is attached with metal brackets and bolted. I think I can work with this to get a pretty good simulation. There are no wires shown, however, for any electrical connections, which obviously must have been there somewhere!

link to better photo:

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...?TID=7855&PN=1
Old 11-23-2006, 08:01 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The tubes are metal, and the rockets have stabilizing sticks that just slide into the tubes, just as a large bottle rocket sits in the neck of a bottle. I am also at a loss as to how they are lit, though. I guess the pilot just engaged his auto pilot, climbed out on the wing, and used his trusty Zippo.

Here's another picture, in color, of a Sowith Pup armed with the same rockets. This plane is at the Shuttleworth Museum in England.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63314.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	565653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55772.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	565654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81795.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	565655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24992.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	565656  
Old 11-23-2006, 08:40 PM

khodges: Thank you so much! Great photos!

Dave
Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by bokuda
Thanks, Mode.

I posted this question on http://rcscalebuilder.com/ (another great resource) and someone posted a much clearer version of the same photo. It is obvious from it that the tubes are metal. It is also much more clear as to how everything is mounted. It looks like everything is attached with metal brackets and bolted. I think I can work with this to get a pretty good simulation. There are no wires shown, however, for any electrical connections, which obviously must have been there somewhere!

link to better photo:

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...?TID=7855&PN=1
I know this is a very old thread. But did you end up adding the rockets? Did you intend to use them static, or fly with them. I'm wondering if flight character would be changed too much for RC.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-15-2019, 05:47 PM

I did add the rockets. The plane still exists (although I no longer own it) and it flies fine.I put many flights on it without problems. I never flew it without the rockets, which are permanently installed, so I cannot make a comparison. I did not add any wires as I never located any photos showing them. I have no closeup photos of how I attached them.

I made brackets from tin flashing material and attached those to the struts with small bolts. The tubes are aluminum. I used barbecue skewers for the rockets' "tails" and carved the rockets themselves from balsa. The rockets are attached to the skewers with strips of paper wound around them and glued with CA. I've had a few skewers break which is a pain as they are glued into the tubes. I replaced broken skewers with carbon fiber rods.

You can see it in in flight here: 1/4 Scale Nieuport 11

Last edited by bokuda; 04-16-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by bokuda

I did add the rockets. The plane still exists (although I no longer own it) and it flies fine.I put many flights on it without problems. I never flew it without the rockets, which are permanently installed, so I cannot make a comparison. I did not add any wires as I never located any photos showing them. I have no closeup photos of how I attached them.

I made brackets from tin flashing material and attached those to the struts with small bolts. The tubes are aluminum. I used barbecue skewers for the rockets' "tails" and carved the rockets themselves from balsa. The rockets are attached to the sewers with strips of paper wound around them and glued with CA. I've had a few skewers break which is a pain as they are glued into the tubes. I replaced broken skewers with carbon fiber rods.

You can see it in in flight here: 1/4 Scale Nieuport 11
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to hear that it didn't affect flight too much. Very nice work!

Scott