Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Hughes H1 racer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Hughes H1 racer

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:48 PM
E Henry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hughes H1 racer

Has anyone ever seen a kit of this plane? I would love to do a 60 size or larger. Kit would be great or plans that I can get parts cut for. Thanks for any help. Erik
Old 11-30-2006, 07:31 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Hughes H1 racer

I was at a fly-in in Sevierville, Tn, back in June this year, and a guy had one for sale; had a wingspan around 60-65 inches best I can remember, nice fiberglass cowl, .90-1.20 power. He wanted $175 for it, and the fuse was partly framed already. I could (and have several times) kick myself for not picking it up. So... I know one exists, but don't remember who kitted it.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:49 PM
E Henry

That would be a nice size for me. If you remember any thing else, let me know. Thanks Erik
Old 12-07-2006, 10:23 AM
BUflash

Bob Holman [link=http://www.bhplans.com]www.bhplans.com[/link] has plans drawn by Col. John A. de Vries. The model has a 60" wingspan for a .60-.90 size 2 stroke (or equivalent 4 stroke). Bob also sells a fiberglass cowl for these plans. I have the plans and cowl and am currently reproducing them in CAD and adjusting them to the scale drawings produced by Paul Matt in order to have them laser cut. If you don't care too much about following the precise scale outline, you could just get the plans and send them to a kit cutter. Most will do all the CAD work for you and cut the kit.

Just noticed that you said .60 size or larger. You might also try the 80" Hughes Racer which I believe was drawn by Dick Palmer available from Scale Plans and Photo Service. [link=http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/IMAAads/pepino/miscplans.html]www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/IMAAads/pepino/miscplans.html[/link]. This is supposedly more true to the scale outline and it is already kitted by two major kit cutters: Precision Cut Kits [link=http://www.precisioncutkits.com]www.precisioncutkits.com[/link] and Cornell Michaels [link=http://www.kitcutter.com]www.kitcutter.com[/link] . There is actually a plane built from these plans for sale in the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=241539]marketplace[/link] right now
Old 12-07-2006, 07:01 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's the one I saw---the Palmer one. It just came back to me, his name was on the plans. I don't know who had cut the kit, but it looked nicely done. I don't remember the wingspan being that big, but I only saw it the once. still wish I'd bought it, the H-1 is a nice looking plane.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:48 PM
E Henry

Thanks for the info, I will check inot the 80" Palmer. Erik
Old 12-10-2006, 05:53 AM
gykairlines

Is there anyone who's got plans of a grand caravan, i would like to make a 3m full scale.

[email protected]

thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 10:01 PM
dunk
My Feedback: (153)

I am very interested in getting a kit for the H1 racer as well I was thinking 60-90 size, are there any that are better than others? Does anyone have much experience with different manufactorers? I would like a kit that has the cowl and the canopy as well if that is a possibility. thanks for the help

Dunk
Old 12-29-2006, 06:46 PM
dunk

I purchased the Pipino plans for the 80" wingspan H1 racer. Can anyone tell me what size of motor they would recommend for this plane? I would be interested in seeing what some other people have used and there thoughts with performance with them!

Thanks
Dunk
Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

The H1 had two sets of wings, one for the Bendix race and one for the Thompson race.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Grizak
My Feedback: (3)

I have the Pepino plans for the 80" version. I've had these plans for sometime, and this is one of my all time favorite planes. I'm planning on building this plane with a Zenoah G-26. The plans call for a .90-1.20 Glo engine. (I think a .90 would be too small).

I'm just trying to figure out what retracts to use with it. The plans recommend CJMs 1/5 scale or "adapt your favorite gear". The wing is pretty narrow, so I think I may have to use a low profile gear. Anyone else have any ideas for gear for this plane?

Thanks,

Grizak
Old 01-03-2007, 01:52 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grizak, there is a guy here in town named Eric Malkerson that makes very nice, light, strong, low profile retract mechanisms for the size plane you are looking at. He actually produced them for Wayne Seiwert at Aerotech Models. I am no expert, but I am thinking that sine the FW190 was kinda based on the H1, they may need about 74 degreee retracts. MAybe not. Any way, this guy has, I believe, these gear available in 74, 82, 85 and 90 degree retract angles. I have 2 sets of them and love 'em. Lenny Sarbi a.k.a. Shinden has made my gear legs, and could probably do them for you. If you are interested, I can get an e-mail from Eric for you to contact him. Here is a link to the specs on these gear. I currently have them in my 30 pound LA-7.

http://www.aerotechmodels.com/aerotechretract.htm

Jeff
Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Grizak

Jeff,

I'm interested in you suggestions, I sent you a PM with my email address.

Thanks,

Grizak
Old 01-04-2007, 10:30 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

grizak....PM'd the contact info to you

Jeff
Old 01-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Grizak

Another question about the retracts for this plane. Assuming that this plane will come in under 20lbs (I'm hoping 16lbs at the most), and the gear requires a long strut of 11", are 1/2" dia. struts large enought for this plane, or should I go with 5/8" dia struts?

Thanks,

Grizak
Old 01-10-2007, 07:23 PM
BUflash

Looks like this thread is finding some followers. Let's keep this going and share any thoughts/information on our H-1 projects.

I myself am designing a .60 version, VERY (Super?) scale based on the Paul Matt drawings. For those of you that have the pepino plans, how is the horizontal stab designed? Is it just a constant thickness (balsa sheeting or sandwhich) or does the horizontal stab use an airfoil? If so, what airfoil does it seem to use? I designed mine with an airfoil because that's what the original had, but I wasn't sure about which airfoil to use, so I just went with the same one I used for the wing (NACA 23012) wjhich seems to match the Paul Matt drawings pretty well. Any thoughts?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:36 PM
dunk

I will pull my plans out and look. I ordered a laser cut kit and plan on cutting another kit out before I build the first one. I was thinking of shrinking the scale down my pepino plans to something that would be around a 60-65" wingspan. I have some friends that are going to try to help me design a two piece wing for the 80" H1. I would like to be able to transport it easier. Are you going to use air retracts or mechanical for your design?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:19 PM
BUflash

I plan to go with air retracts. I'm going to have the tail gear be retractable as well. So rather than load up on servos I'd like to try a pneumatic setup. With mechanical I figured I'd have to use 3 retract servos. Two for the mains because I've always sort of had problems with the torque and adjustment of a single gear servo on the mains, and then one for the tail. With the air retracts I'll only need one small low torque servo to activate the valve. I don't think the air tank and lines add much weight, so that should keep things light. Not to mention it will keep the power draw low and remove the need for a second battery for the retracts which is what I needed to do in another plane just so I have piece of mind that the retracts will never bind and eat up the battery which operates my flight controls. I'm including Robarts in my design. They have a lot of useful info and drawings on their website that make it an easy process. Of course, I'm still up in the air about that pesky tailgear. The plane that Howard Hughes built used a tail skid, and I'm just not comfortable with ground handling using a skid, so I'm thinking of going with a wheel. If I do use a wheel, I'll have to make sure all of my other details are consistent with the reproduction built by Jim Wright, as he used a tailwheel for better handling as well. This mainly means some attention paid to the registration numbers (NX258Y instead of NR258Y) and possibly some navigation lights that I've seen in some pics.

ORIGINAL: dunk

I will pull my plans out and look. I ordered a laser cut kit and plan on cutting another kit out before I build the first one. I was thinking of shrinking the scale down my pepino plans to something that would be around a 60-65" wingspan. I have some friends that are going to try to help me design a two piece wing for the 80" H1. I would like to be able to transport it easier. Are you going to use air retracts or mechanical for your design?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Are any of the plans listed above built up wings? I have only been able to locate plans for foam core wings.
I have 44inch plans of a CL model I was going to work with!

Thanks
Steve Hughes
Old 01-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Grizak

Steve,

The Pepino plans include an 80" built up wing.

Grizak
Old 01-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Very nice, thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 07:25 AM
BUflash

If you don't get the pepino plans, you can design a built up wing in pretty short order with Profili (www.profili2.com). I used that for my Hughes and it was exceedingly easy. Especially since you need to account for the split flaps, ailerons, spars, sheeting, etc and this software does it all for you.

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Are any of the plans listed above built up wings? I have only been able to locate plans for foam core wings.
I have 44inch plans of a CL model I was going to work with!

Thanks
Steve Hughes
Old 01-17-2007, 12:45 PM
BUflash

Hey Dunk have you had a chance to peruse your plans to see what the tail looks like? I'm very curious to see if they show an airfoil design complete with ribs or if they just have some sort of slab design or triangle shaped ribs or something. In the case that it's an airfoil, I'm wondering if they specify which one they used.

Here's another good question, what is the incidence marked for the tail and the wing? I think I have my wing at 5 degrees down and my tail at 0.

ORIGINAL: dunk

Old 01-18-2007, 09:50 PM
dunk

Sorry for the delay, it looks like it is built up with ribs. I am not for sure of the airfoil that is used. If you would like I can take some pics of the tail section and email them to you. I ordered a kit for the plane and plan on using it as a template to build two H1's or just have an extra. One thing that I did not realize is that the kits take some time to get... almost 3 months. I have built some smaller 120, 60 size kits but I would definitely consider the Pepino plans for an experienced builder....The plans do not even give the CG. That is why I purchased a kit so that I make sure that I dont miss something as I am building it. Plan so far is to use a MOKI 2.10 it seems to have plenty of power and the weight is not to bad either. I am trying to find alternatives to the century jet retracts that the plans are using. No luck so far. Let me know on the picture

Dunk
Old 01-18-2007, 09:52 PM
dunk

I forgot to add that there is no indication for the incidence on the wing or tail in the plans....I have a couple of pylon planes and they are zero on everything. I can call the people that I purchased the plans from and see if they know. I will need to know this as well!

Dunk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.