Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Scale Pitts Kits of Plans available ?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Scale Pitts Kits of Plans available ?

Old 01-26-2003, 12:34 AM
Fidsatom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale Pitts Kits of Plans available ?

Greetings
I'd like to build a 1/4 scale Pitts but can't seem to locate anyone who has experience with this scale. Additionally, I haven't been able to find a kit. I'm interested in high quality only, and I have seen the reviews of the Great Planes 1/3 scale Pitts. The author thought it was about perfect but it is and ARF. Arf is great but for this project I really want a kit or plans and have them cut by one of the really top cutters.

I've also posted on the Giant Scale forum. Attached is a recent shot of a full size Pitts in the foyer of the EAA Museum. What a beauty!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	50242_25120.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	30926  
Old 01-26-2003, 04:27 PM
Skypoint
My Feedback: (7)

After searching the net for several weeks, there didn't seem to be much in the way of quality Pitts kits available. I finally found Bob Dively's site and settled on a S2 kit which I just received. It has an 80" ws and is all hand cut. FG cowl, canopy, wheel pants and welded struts are very good. The plans are excellent.

You can build this in single, double, and open cockpit versions. Dively also offers a Christen Eagle version as well.

Very detailed, and I hear they build light and fly well.

You can find it here: http://www.bobdivelymodels.com/

Good luck,
Old 01-26-2003, 09:29 PM
Fidsatom

Skypoint

Thanks for the source. Even tho the 80" w/s works out to 33% or 1/3 scale this seems like a kit I should look closely at. 1/3 scale might just be a bit too much for me right now, but you never know.

Thanks again.

Also. if you decide to build this kit or need other photographs from the EAA Museum just let me know. I head up that way pretty often and it's no problem to take some more.

Tom
Old 01-27-2003, 01:55 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

MAN has 1/4 scale plans for a Pitts here;
Siriani Pitts

I also recently saw a set of plans from Nick Ziroli for a 60 inch Pitts. I think it was in RCM but I can't remember. These were from Nick's early days.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Fidsatom

G. F. Reid

Thanks for the source. I'll have to check out the Siriani plans. A set of Ziroli plans? now that would be nice.

thanks again

Tom
Old 01-27-2003, 05:53 PM
monocoupe
My Feedback: (40)

Default What About This?

Tom,
I have a Bob Holman 1/4 scale Fiberglass Pitts S1 Fuselage, cowl & wheel pants, along with the plans. I'm probably not going to build it, so if your interested, send me an e-mail and maybe we can work something out. I would actually prefer to go bigger!

Cheers, Nigel
Old 01-30-2003, 12:46 AM
scaleflyer7886
My Feedback: (2)

Midwest used to sell a nearly quarter scale S1 with a 48" span. just finished mine 100% scale. Better than the Siriani plans which I also have. The Midwest kit can sometimes will come up on ebay cheap.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:06 AM
Fidsatom

Scaleflyer

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep my eyes open

Tom
Old 03-21-2003, 01:17 AM
PITTSMANIAC
My Feedback: (18)

Default Pitts planes

Fidsatom,

It looks like you are looking for the S-1 single seat Pitts. This is a very rare bird to find in plans or kit with very scale lines. The Midwest kit is modeled after Gene Soucy's S-1S & was designed by Jerry Nelson. The kit fuselage design was stretched longer behind the cockpit to the tail, which was to make it more stable. The horizontal stab was also increased in size.The fuse from the top view is also much thinner, but is a great little biplane to fly.
I have a set of 1/4 scale plans from Dively Models, but they are of the S-2A - 2 seat factory built Pitts.
Are you wanting to build the S-1, S2-A or does it matter ? If you are interested in the S-2A there are more plans & kits avaible & more to scale.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:03 AM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

Do a search for Mike Smart Designs. He has plans for a 1/3 S1, about 69" I think.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:27 PM
Fidsatom

Pitts Maniac and Lake Flyer

Thanks for you help and guidance. I'm looking to build a large scale model of the attached Pitts type. an S2S I believe

Tom

Name:	64906_25120.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	30927  
Old 03-23-2003, 12:52 AM
PITTSMANIAC
My Feedback: (18)

Default Pitts in photo

Tom,

The Pitts in your photo is of the late Charllie Hillard's S-1S single seat, 4-aileron & used a 180 h.p. engine. The S-2S is the larger experimental homebuilt version of the factory built S-2A (2 seater) 200 h.p Pitts except the front cockpit was covered over, a larger 35 gal. fuel tank was installed & 260 h.p. Lycomming engine. Are you aware that Byron has this exact Pitts with same decals in 1/3 scale. The kit is foam & has a 68" w.s. when completed. I hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:29 AM
Fidsatom

Pitts Maniac

Thanks for the clarification. I think that I'd be happy with either single seat airframe.

I've attached an image of the Byron model that is on prominent display at the EAA Museum. The Director told me that the folks from Byron spend tons of time with the original. Nonetheless, notice that some of the detail and colors are not too scale. Example is the blue outline around the white fuselage stripes where the original full scale marking are all black, all three of them they display in their lobby. There are other differences but small.

Still, this static model is quite handsome in tis own right

Thanks again

Tom

Name:	65017_25120.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	30928  
Old 08-22-2003, 12:02 AM
rob v
My Feedback: (74)

Hello

I have still in the box a Midwest 1/4 scale s-1 kit. It is the one mentioned in an above reply. I think this kit might be to small for what you are looking for. If interested just e`mail me.

Thanks
Rob V
[email protected]
Old 08-22-2003, 10:52 AM
skier

this place I think have one I didn't look around for very long, but they have a lot of kits
Old 02-21-2004, 02:24 AM
markdam
My Feedback: (15)

Default mike smart plans

this is my recently aquired Pitts S1 built from Mike Smart Plans . shes a beaut!!!!!!!! Im going to finnish the scale details and ned a canopy would like to make it slide open......

Name:	Ec87991.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	103295  
Old 02-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Highflightld

Default RE: mike smart plans

This reply is for MarkDam.
Just a note, my son owns and flys a full size Pitts S-1, in Intermediate class, IAC Computition and has won many trophys. Your Pitts looks great and hope it flys as good. I have been building large scale since 1975. I would caution you in flying with the aileron set up shown in the pictures. From past experiance with giant models the wire from the bottom aileron to the top aileron will flex under full diflection of the ailerons under conditions of a snap roll and other hard full control deflections. I built an flew a 60" Aero-Sport, with a G62 out front. For the ailerons linkage I used preshaped teardrop aluminum, with a 4-40 rod down the full length to the kwik links. Taped the bottom and filled with 30 minute appoxy and they never flexed. Just a suggestion.
Good luck and happy flying.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:07 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Scale Pitts Kits of Plans available ?

Don't forget to check out Bob Dively models. He sells plans for a 1/4 pitts.
Here's the link
http://www.bobdivelymodels.com/
oops I just looked, He sells kits for an 80 pitts.
Try this link, Several plans available and I believe there is one or maybe more for the pitts.
http://fly-imaa.org/imaa/IMAAads/pepino/
Old 02-25-2004, 04:28 AM
markdam
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Scale Pitts Kits of Plans available ?

Highflightld,
thanks for the tip as this is my first giantscale project and its been overwhelming as i want to "do it right"
I was planning on doing something... and upon further inspection and finally meeting the builder (who was appaled at the control rod setup also) the Mike Smart plans are VERY scale and the builder made the notch outs (for a lack of words) for the SCALE interconnect rods at the LEADING edge of the alierons as the plans show. I emailed Mike smart and he said to be sure and have no slop as flutter can take place but as you know that is the scale location for the rods at the FRONT of the aileron..... so it goes. Im also been in touch with Burtons. they make full scale plane flying wires but also make model sclae !! these are identical to the real deal fofoil shaped stainless tail and wing wires like the big boys whooo hoooo!