Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Building the Optica

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Building the Optica

Old 10-14-2007, 07:40 PM
SCORPIO_2727

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building the Optica

Rethinking of the motor size. A .61 would be struggling. So have opted for a GMS .76. Price of same here in Australia is also attractive== $130. Read a review on this motor whereby someone is running his GMS .76 on 40% nitro in a ducted fan. I'll stop at 10 % nitro. Seeing I'm restricted to an 11 inch prop, I'll increase the pitch of the 11 X 7 three blade pusher prop to an 11 x 8 3 blade pusher.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:36 AM
twilightflyer

Hi John L.
hope you dont mind me leaving you a message but coudn't help taking note of the interest in the optica........I have tried to find a source for the plan but to no avail, I've read all threads on this build and what I would like to as is, is or was there any difficulty in the build and if so what were they? any help would be very much appreciated as I would like to build one of these.
regards
Old 11-30-2007, 07:23 PM
SCORPIO_2727

Twilightflier. Mind if I come in here? I started this thread. If you go back to Page 3, 11/18/07, Scott Douglas (UK) has a thread "Edgley Optica". Go back even further to Page 18, 4/24/07, I had a thread"Radio Modeller Scale Plan". This thread gives details of where to obtain the Optica Plans and cockpit moldings in the UK, on your own turf no less. A pleasure to deal with; typical British- polite, prompt and efficient. As to the question of difficulty to build, this depends upon your building from a plan experience. I've had 50 years of building from plans, and with the Optica, I often had splinters under my fingernails from scratching my head, trying to interpret the designers thoughts. The one thing I regret is not surface finishing the ducting and canopy before attaching the 2 booms and horizontal stab. Manipulating such a model frame to smoothe the surface of the ducting is out of the question in a room. Now I do the wrestling outside. If I can provide any further info, all you have to do is ask. Glen
Old 11-30-2007, 07:56 PM
kdc

Its not actually a Radio Modeller plan but a RC Scale Aircraft plan RSQ1584 from 1988 Winter issue The plans should still be available from Magicalia in England www.modelflying.co.uk who have taken over most of the MAP/Argus/Nexus/Highbury/Encanta magazines .Phone 01689 899200. 9am to 3pm. (It was available about a year ago. )
You can also buy a reprint of the original article if you ask.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:55 AM
twilightflyer

Thanks you guys, what a source of information, I shall have a look deeper into the threads on this forum and read and digest, many many thanks.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:36 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: twilightflyer

Hi John L.
hope you dont mind me leaving you a message but coudn't help taking note of the interest in the optica........I have tried to find a source for the plan but to no avail, I've read all threads on this build and what I would like to as is, is or was there any difficulty in the build and if so what were they? any help would be very much appreciated as I would like to build one of these.
regards
The OLD part of my nickname becomes ever more significant. It took me some time to find the various Optica related bits of info I had collected. I also didn't recall posting in the Optica thread, 60yrs ago is clear but 10mins ago is a blank.

The link below may help, copy and paste it, I don't know how to make a hot link.

http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/possible.htm
Old 12-02-2007, 12:01 PM
twilightflyer

Thanks John for your info, it is a great help. regards
Old 12-14-2007, 06:41 PM
twilightflyer

Glen, sorry my friend I didn't realize that you started the thread in the first place , My apologies, and for one I think that you have done a grat job on the build, keep it up, regards
Old 12-22-2007, 10:33 AM
SCORPIO_2727

Twilightflyer, thanks for your comments. Have been a bit slack with the Optica these past months- too tied up in helping others get their projects in the air. I religiously built my Optica as per plan but I can now see a potential problem. And that is with down elevator, the elevator will be fouled by the rudders in either left or right turn. Not good. So will be studying my 3 view plan of the full size aircraft and make the necessary alterations. If only I'd finished the pod and ducting before attaching the twin booms and horizontal stab. Very big and awkward to move around and I do end up in a wrestling match.
Today, EUREKA. One of my sons bought a full sized aircraft magazine and inside was an article on the Edgley Optica with a pic of the colour scheme of my choice. The article goes on to state there are only 5 complete airframes left in the world and only 3 of them are in flying condition, 2 of which are owned by an Aussie. In MY own territory, no less! Thus, a model of the Optica will draw attention at scale meetings because of it's rareity. The article gives the name of the owner and it is not my intent to plaster his name on the web. Needless to say, I definately will make contact with the gentleman. The 2 Opticas' registered in Australia are VH-OPI and VH-BMC. For those building a model of the Optica and interested in this review of the full sized Aussie aircraft, the magazine is AERO AUSTRALIA, issue # 17, January/March 2008, published and printed here in Australia. For those on the other side of the big ponds and are unable to obtain a copy of this Aussie magazine, just pm me and I'll forward a copy. As long as the inquiry is genuine, I'll bear the cost/s. Glen
Old 12-22-2007, 01:43 PM
kdc

There is a model Optica from the same plan for sale in Wiltshire advertised in the latest Flying Scale Models (English mag ) There is a photo and it is painted but no graphics. Package includes 7 servos, plan and a new Irvine 61, pusher props etc. Seems a bargain at 200 pounds, but I wonder why the engine is not fitted.

It could save someone a lot of work if its any good!

Old 08-24-2016, 05:11 PM
stsguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this kit and was going to build but just don't have the time. It's a 60 size foam core balsa covered wings. If someone is interested
Old 11-14-2018, 03:43 PM
frankenfoamy
My Feedback: (11)

Hi Scorpio, Anything new since your 2007 posts. I designed a 20" wing span version that was published in RC Microflight. Highly interested in other builder's projects