Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Great Lakes Trainer plans by Norm Rosenstock

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Great Lakes Trainer plans by Norm Rosenstock

Old 02-07-2003, 04:05 AM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Lakes Trainer plans by Norm Rosenstock

I was just wondering if anyone had built a Great Lakes Trainer from Norm's plans and what they thought of it. My plans are 1/5 (64") and the plane looks a little short coupled to me. I'm worried it might turn out to be a handful in the air as well as ground handling. I'm also a little concerned that the wing(s) and tail incidences are all set at 0. Anybody have any experance with this plane??
Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: Great Lakes Trainer plans by Norm Rosenstock

Hi Lake Flyer. I'm thinking of getting that plan. Norm lives about 15 minutes from me! I grew up in the 30's and my local airport had a Great Lakes with the upright Cirrus engine, and I've always wanted to model it. The real plane actually was somewhat short coupled, but flew like a dream and was very aerobatic for its day. With proper balancing, and conservative control throws, it should not be a problem. I'm also looking for the IKON N'WEST plan. Emil Neeley had a kit for this version, but he passed away some years ago. Let me know if you find any more info, and I'll do the same. Lee Robinson West Palm Beach, FL [email protected]
Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM
box car

http://www.kitcutters.com/RCM/RCMSca...reatLkBipe.htm
Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 AM
tatolazo

Hi: O have read in this forum that ikon nw kits are taking a lot of time to be delivered, months and even years, just check.!

I saw this bi plane built from a small kit for a .15 engine and was very acrobatic and heasy to handle. I was thinking of building one bigger, for a .91 FS or so.

Good luck.

Tato.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:29 AM
jrpav1
My Feedback: (17)

Originally Posted by tatolazo
Hi: O have read in this forum that ikon nw kits are taking a lot of time to be delivered, months and even years, just check.!

I saw this bi plane built from a small kit for a .15 engine and was very acrobatic and heasy to handle. I was thinking of building one bigger, for a .91 FS or so.

Tato.
Norm drew two plans for the Great Lakes: a 1/4-scale (80" span) and a 1/5-scale (64" span). The big one used a "Quadra" which was a very popular gas engine at the time he did the design. The smaller one is for .60-.90 2C / .90 - 1.2 4C. I have both sets of plans. I purchased them from Norm quite a few years ago. It would be nice to hear that he's still around because I finally have some time to build. I'm starting on the "little" one this winter.

The plans appear to be very good. They have enough information (templates, wood requirements, etc.) to build from scratch. This is not always the case when you try to build form "kit" plans.

BTW - The RCM plans look good too, especially since someone offers a laser-cut parts pack. There are a lot of ribs in those wings! The only problem is that it appears to be the "special" (radial engine) version only. I think the inline version (2T-1A and 2T-1E) are the most nostalgic so that's what I'm going to build first. Then maybe a small "special". Norm's plans show both versions so you have a choice.

JRP

Last edited by jrpav1; 10-25-2014 at 08:34 AM.