Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Your experiences w/engines on 22-27lb planes?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Your experiences w/engines on 22-27lb planes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 07:07 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your experiences w/engines on 22-27lb planes?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some experienced "scale pilots" (not 3D) that fly scale planes in the "roughly" 22-27 pound range. I'd like to hear about what engines you have put on such planes and what kind of performance you get from them.

I'm not looking to do aerobatics on my warbird, which should fall somewhere in that weight range... but I want to be able to "at least" loop from level flight. It would be nice to fly with some power in reserve, but I don't expect to have tremendous vertical or even rocket speed. My plans call for a Q42 but I think that something more like a 50cc would be in order?

Aerobatic/3D pilots think of everything in terms of high-performance, vertical power, etc. and fly planes with much lighter wing loading. It's hard to compare an 85" Edge 540 to an 85" dive bomber when you're looking for engine suggestions. I also have to deal with the hassles of trying to get an appropriate engine to fit in a scale cowl without making Swiss Cheese of it, which is something that I think "scale pilots" understand.

Any experiences to share???

Thanks,

Neo
Old 02-18-2003, 07:23 PM
Hurri

Hi Neo, think agood eng; for you would be a Zenoah G62 . reliable . I have a 25lb Bucker Jungmeister , Avro 504K 24lb . lots of power . a Q52 is good too in that range . I have a t/Flt 100" Stinson has a G38 which is over powered , so depends if you want to fly "circles". If you have lots of money the 3w engs are great . A Q400 , which is a newer version of Q42 , has more power too, throws a 20-10 prop ok . Have it on a 1/3rd scale Stitts @ 22lb and has lots of power , So lots to choose from . AL
Old 02-18-2003, 07:38 PM
f4you
My Feedback: (7)

Hi Neo.
Any of the 3.2 CI (52cc) engines will do what you want. I've flown the Quaddra 52, Fox 3.2, FPE 3.2, and a Sachs 3.2 on that size plane all with excellent results. A 19 X 11N Mejzlik 3 bladed prop will turn right at the typical max rating on those engines, and fly the plane in just the way you describe. With this engine size, you'll be able to throttle back a bunch at cruise, giving you a LOT of extra flying time. I could fly for 18 minutes easily, and have reserve left over (32 ounce tank). Throw in a few full throttle passes/manuvers during that time!!
Haven't operated a G-62, but have heard and seen other folks fly similar sized planes with them with very good results, also.
In my case, a Top Flite giant scale corsair at 27 pounds, and a Byron Corsair at about the same weight, size.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:58 PM
NE0

Thanks for the input guys.

Hey F4 - I just noticed you're in Piqua... less than 2 hour drive from me (Newark, OH)! I'd love to come watch you fly your warbirds some time! Did you fly at the Dayton Giant Scale Show last year? I was there as a spectator and had a ball! Definitely going back this year, maybe I'll see ya there?

Neo
Old 02-19-2003, 01:57 AM
f4you

Originally posted by NE0
Thanks for the input guys.

Hey F4 - I just noticed you're in Piqua... less than 2 hour drive from me (Newark, OH)! I'd love to come watch you fly your warbirds some time! Did you fly at the Dayton Giant Scale Show last year? I was there as a spectator and had a ball! Definitely going back this year, maybe I'll see ya there?

Neo
Just found you on the map. Other side of Columbus. Not far!
Spectated at Dayton last year--flying this year! Also flying at Shelby.
If you're ever headed west--let me know--we'll go flyin'!!
I look forward to seeing that SBD!! Sounds awesome--nice subject!! Should be 3 or 4 good size warbirds in the immediate area this year---3 Corsairs, a Mustang, and at least one P-47. Could use an SBD in the mix
Old 02-19-2003, 01:56 PM
NE0

F4,

Awesome... I'll have to try and make it over there. We have a number of invitational fly-ins and fun-flys at our local field. Maybe you can stop by for one this year too. We usually have a lot of big gassers, but few warbirds. Last year in September, Miles Reed came in for one of our events and flew his bigh Oracle Challenger Bipe... totally awesome! It's a beautiful grass strip, about 700+ feet long... like a golf course!

I definitely want to hook up with you in Dayton at the DOGS event. Lookin' forward to seeing your Corsair in the air! Let's keep in touch and maybe we can meet somewhere at the show.

Neo
Old 02-19-2003, 02:40 PM
f4you

Originally posted by NE0
F4,

Awesome... I'll have to try and make it over there. We have a number of invitational fly-ins and fun-flys at our local field. Maybe you can stop by for one this year too. We usually have a lot of big gassers, but few warbirds. Last year in September, Miles Reed came in for one of our events and flew his bigh Oracle Challenger Bipe... totally awesome! It's a beautiful grass strip, about 700+ feet long... like a golf course!

I definitely want to hook up with you in Dayton at the DOGS event. Lookin' forward to seeing your Corsair in the air! Let's keep in touch and maybe we can meet somewhere at the show.

Neo
Sent you an E mail--I'll look for that SBD in Dayton!! I'll keep a look out for your fly-in dates. We'll have one at the Waco Historical Society field this year, too--not sure of dates yet, though. Sounds like we'll have some warbird activity, for sure!!
Old 02-19-2003, 11:52 PM
rpike
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Pica (re-engineered) P-40 weighs in at 28lbs+. I had a 2.1 Moki in it...it flew...I didn't like the performance much. It would do a loop almost scale, with a little fight at the top. I fly at approx 4900ft so I'm used to needing more power than most other people. When I look at a set of plans or an ad...I see the upper range for power + a pinch of salt. Then I imagine if the engine will fit inside the cowling. I don't like seeing the engine hang out if I can help it. Back to the main...I purchased a ZDZ-50 and installed it. I flew the P-40 and it flew pretty ok...after it breaks in it should perform very scale like. I have since categorized engine sizes for my altitude: 80"-86" @ up to 24 lbs. I will use a moki 2.1 or my ZDZ-50. 86"-94" @ up to 36 lbs I will use my ZDZ-80. Anything bigger or heavier I won't worry about because I don't have and engine to pull it.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:47 AM
Chris300s

My suggestion is either the G-62 or the Taurus or Brison 4.2's. Most af the Sachs/Dolmer will tolerate swinging a larger than optimum prop that'll look scale. 24x10 would be optimum but someone at the Masters a few years ago flew a Dauntless on a 28x6.
Another cosideration (especially if you're looking at adding nose weight) is running the larger motor on a 3 or 4- blade prop since you can get away with the loss of efficiency.
For your consideration, a 1/4 scale Fokker Dr-1 would swing a scale 25" 2 bladed prop. Someone want to try stuffing a 4.2 in a 15 lb. model? I guess that would bring us back to 3D again...
Chris
Old 02-20-2003, 04:31 AM
f4you

Another option I'll be trying---the D&B 3.7 twin.
It is smaller from the crankshaft center to the spark plug ends than the 3.2 engines, but has a displacement of 3.7 and looks to have a little more HP than the 3.2's.
Being a twin, it should be a smooth runner(from what I've heard).
Fits into my Corsair cowl nicely--shouldn't need any "openings".
Cost is up there, but good used ones show up once in a while.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:03 AM
NE0

Chris,

G-62 is a "maybe." Sachs & Brison won't fit in my cowl. Can't get any schematic drawings of the Taurus, so I don't know if it will fit. Besides, they're really hard to get from what I hear.

True scale for a prop on my 1/5.5 SBD would be a 22" prop. Any bigger than that and it would be mowin' the lawn. I don't want to swing anything any bigger than that, and would prefer to go a little smaller to give me some ground clearance.

F4,

Those D&B Twins look pretty sweet. Still a little big for my plane (cowl is less than 10" wide). Besides, they're way to rich for my wallet.

Thx,

Neo
Old 02-20-2003, 04:19 PM
Chris300s

Neo,

I didn't realize what you were building or the scale (85" dive bomber... should have guessed).
A G-62 would swing the 22" with ease but at 25-27 lbs on 85" of wing it's going to be a rocket. Any of the 3.2-3.7's would be a good choice. DA-50 or BME 50 if you want max performance in a small package.
I hope the dive brakes are functional.

Chris
Old 02-20-2003, 06:52 PM
NE0

Chris,

Thanks, that makes more sense. Yep, it's not a big ol' Ziroli hoss but it's no little 60-size plane either! ;-)

I think the dive brakes will be fine if I can stay at 25lb or less but may struggle beyond that weight. The plans say it will go 18-24 with a Q42, but I think that's being optimistic. That's why I'd like to keep the engine somewhat light, but it might be an exercise in futility if I have to turn around and add nose weight to balance. I'll just have to wait and see. If nothing else, the brakes will be nice for static display! ;-)

Neo
Old 02-20-2003, 10:26 PM
flicka5
My Feedback: (2)

Default Glo Engine

Why not a ST 3250 or the big OS glo. They usually take up a lot of less room in the cowl which prevents chopping a lot of holes in the fiberglass? All you want is scale performance.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:30 PM
NE0

NO THANKS.

Ain't no way I'm spendin' a year detailin' a warbird just to wipe a pound of snot off of it every time I fly it. I've got enough snot from my other glow planes to fill every nose in North America. Besides, a glow engine that big is way too thirsty for the $15+ a gallon fuel.

Neo
Old 02-21-2003, 12:56 AM
Hurri

Back to one of my original suggestions . Think the Q400 gas eng; would suit you . Its a newer edition of the Quadra 42 , has a lot more power . throws a 20 -10 whereas a Q42 only throws an 18-10 . it is the same size as the Q42 , has ign; system on it to help give a bigger pull . RE; the S/t3250 idea - it depends how often you are going to fly this model , if it is a LOT then your statement is true , BUT if it is a special & only going to fly it at weekends , special meets etc , then no big deal on the cost of fuel , you could live with it . Al
Old 02-21-2003, 02:18 PM
NE0

Hurri,

Agreed on the glow fuel cost issue, but not on the snot. I can't stand that crap and with an open & detailed cockpit, 2 crew members, bombs, tailhooks, etc... I don't want that **** on my plane.

I didn't know about the increase in power on the Q40... that's interesting. Any idea how they get that much more power with less displacement in the same engine?

Neo
Old 02-21-2003, 02:26 PM
NE0

Hurri,

One other thing on the Q40... I think it's too long with a rear exhaust. Hard to tell for sure without any schematics (why don't all the engine manufacturers publish drawings online?)

It would fit w/o rear exhaust, but I think the RE will push my prop plate to far forward.

Neo
Old 02-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Hurri

Hi Neo. Don't know why more power on the Q400 , think the electronic ign; helps , the reg' Q42 hasn't any . The exhaust is from the side on the Q400 , I am at the moment coming up with a different muffler idea to get it to the rear exit . AL
Old 02-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Chris300s

You may not have the room but what about....
Running a 1/4 wave canister buried in the fuse with the front exhaust exits? You could pipe them to the scale exhaust locations. I know why not... Ijust hate seeing beautiful models with a mouse can or lawnmower muffler hanging out of the cowl. I'm learning to TIG weld just so I can put together my own muffler boxes and exhaust them in the proper locations.
Best bet for this project? G45 with a Bisson muffler....

.02 Chris