Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Building in Australia

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Building in Australia

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:19 PM
tasesq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building in Australia

Hi All,

For anyone that builds in Australia - I am building my first aeroplane (Sig Senior Kit) that I am sheeting with 1/16 balsa, and about to glass with 3/4oz (from Radar in Hong Kong) and Zap Finishing Resin from the LHS. I am in Sydney.

Can anyone tell me brands of primer/filler they use, and brands of paints they use over this kind if surface.

I have tried a primer from Repco but I don't think it was high build - i needed about 5 coats to fill the weave of my first glassing test piece. Also, I have sent emails to KlassKote in the states, but it seems impossibly expensive to get paint from there.

The Senior will be a white base, with a navy blue/grey or silver trim.

I appreciate the help!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:02 PM
The Ghost

Default RE: Building in Australia

I have been using paint from panel shops for years with out any problems. All paint systems require several coats, and sanding to fill the weave, even when using primer/surfacer. It just takes time to get a very good finish. The finish is only a reflection of the under lying structure, more time put in surface prep the better the finish will be.

Cheers
Old 04-11-2007, 04:33 AM
tasesq

Thanks.

Are you able to give me the names of some of the paints you have used? I am very new to this, and would not have any idea what to ask for at the local panel shop!

There is one near me in Alexandria - I might go and ask some questions.

Do you spray with a gun for the primer phase, or use a pre-pack can?
Old 04-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Bill Jennings
My Feedback: (85)

Go to one of the big Auto Chief stores, they have big mobs of primer but you will have to use a spray gun.

Regards.
Bill.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
The Ghost

Dulon was one brand of paint, dont know now, just use what they have as I was in the motor trade for many years. All painting is done with a spray gun as I can mix the paint to what I want. I found that the spray cans were to inconsistant (Too Thin or Light) for my liking.

Cheers
Old 04-11-2007, 10:39 PM
camdyson

G'day Tasesq,

First, if you put on 3/4 oz. glass with minimal epoxy (Westsystems brand is the go, with the slow hardener), light rub then a wet coat of epoxy, there should be little to fill. If needed, try the yellow spray can primer/filler from eg Supercheap, and rub back most till smooth.

Then spray primer and top coats - cans ok for a first effort, but a touch-up gun ultimately better. If you want really good results, auto acrylic lacquer is the go, with a spray gun, but need a respirator.

Have fun,

Cam
Old 04-12-2007, 03:24 AM
Merlin65

I find the most convenient solution is to buy the entire finish system from holts auto Powerplus Products. These are spray packs available in 2 sizes from any auto accessory store, Bunnings etc.
The primer comes in three basic colours, standard light gray, white and red oxide.
For heavy filling you can buy the spray putty, also in pressure pack tins.
This can become expensive on a large model but the convenience more than makes up for that as there is no need to buy spray equipment, thinners for clean up etc.

Another option is to use latex paint which is really common house paint. Paint and hardware stores will mix up any colour you like and it's really quite cheap. You would need a clear final coat of polyurethane or similar for fuel proofing though.
There's a nice MAN article on the process here: http://www.modelairplanenews.com/how_to/latex1.asp

Finally, as stated previously there should be no need to use any filler coat if you have done the glassing correctly. From my experience ZAP fills the weave and sands to a mirror smooth surface with only one application.
Hope this helps,
--
Merlin65
Old 04-12-2007, 05:09 AM
tasesq

Thanks everyone for thier help!

I am using ZAP finishing resin, so I will give it a try with a second light coat of resin, then a single primer coat (sanded off). I'll have a look at bunnings and supercheap for the holts stuff.

How long after the initial application of resin can I apply the second coat? I believe I can wait till it's touch try (an hour or so) so apply adjacent pieces of cloth, but how long should I let it go off before the second coat of epoxy?

thanks for helping a newbie - it's only a kadet senior, but it is my first build so I am using it as a big trial to see how I go with plans to scatch my next model.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:27 AM
The Ghost

Should have it in the instructions that came with the resin. I use polyester resin so can't tell you how long the ZAP takes.

Cheers