Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Where to find Templates?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Where to find Templates?

Old 02-21-2002, 07:13 PM
flugzoid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find Templates?

I was wondering where the best resource would be for obtaining the necessary templates for constructing a scale fuselage? Would you recommend just going by "eye" or is there a website, comany, or some place where I can order up fuselage cross sections to make the job of shaping a fuselage a bit easier? I'm looking at warbirds or classics. Specifically, I'd like to find something on the BF109.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2002, 01:08 AM
rcalfred

Default Bf-109

Would think that there are plenty of kits and plans for this warbird that you could take your pick. Some sources: Bob Banka (www.bobsairdoc.com/), or Jerry Bates Plans (www.scaleaero.com/jerrybates.htm) just to name two. Regards.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:30 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lemme' Think Now

Had a friend come over back in 1999 with a whole bunch of books on individual German aircraft that were printed in Poland. Each book litterally gave cross sections up and down the fuselage and wings for several of the types, plus gave little drawings as to different installations of engines, landing gear, control surfaces etc. per each model. I couldn't understand a word of the text, but the pictures were a great help.

He got four books of different A/C types while in England. The 109, the 190, the 111 and 262 were of the grouping. Each cost about $35 USD, and were a part of a series by one publisher. There was supposedly an english translation coming out too. I would suggest you look into this Polish series if you want details.

Wm.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:31 AM
flugzoid

Thanks Al. Hopefully I can make some templates from those plans without guessing what the shape should be. I saw a few bulkheads/formers in some of the plans. That would really be the key for making the templates from plans I would think. Thanks again.

John
AMA646269
Old 02-22-2002, 03:36 AM
badger41

after getting your 3 views and sectionviews [templates as you call them] go and get a good 1/32 plastic model kit and then you will also have a 3 deminsional reference to answer those unsettled questions. While at the plastic model hobbie shop check out the reference sources that they stock . For a 109 there will be a lot available. Check it out.

tom
Old 02-22-2002, 04:03 AM
flugzoid

Thanks Badger41 for your advice. I appreciate it. I'm going to probably hit the hobby shop tommorrow. That's a good idea. Will keep folks posted if I can get anything going here.

CoosBay, I think that I remember seeing some of those books that you're talking about when I was flying Eagles over in europe. I guess I should have bought them when I was there and had the chance. Maybe I can find them on the internet though...who knows. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2002, 05:50 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Bob Holman carries the plans for both G and E model Messerschmidts designed by Brian Taylor. Taylor plans are some of the best researched I have come across and are very accurate. No need to reinvent the wheel for this one! Best regards, Chad Veich.
Old 02-22-2002, 06:42 AM
flugzoid

Excellent. Thanks a lot. I'm going to check them out right now.