Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

K&B Paint

Old 02-22-2002, 04:53 AM
florida817
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B Paint

Hi All -

Has anyone tried the new formulation K&B Paint - either colors out of the can or mixed to chips? Used to be K&B was sort of the "gold standard". I sure used a lot of it then and had good results, but I haven't found anyone using the new stuff here locally.

Thanks in advance if you can respond.

Tom
Old 02-22-2002, 01:39 PM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&B Paint

I see no reason to use it, especially with the intruduction of water based paints, and the recent use of house latex paint for realistic finishes.

Vince
Old 02-22-2002, 01:55 PM
rcalfred

Default Epoxy paints

Both SuperPoxy and Hobbypoxy used to be the standard for most modelers who wanted to paint their planes. Then the EPA entered the scene and imposed their "Save the Environment" cries and decided that the paints were a threat to the world. This resulted in four things: First reformulation, second huge price increases, third, in Hobbypoxy's case stopping production, and last total collapse of demand as other paints were found to replace them. You also may have noted that K&B no longer produces polyester resin (for now Sig still does). You will have to look for alternative paints to use (my current brand is Polytone by Stits). Others have gone to PPG or DuPont auto base coat/clear coat paints. But, the same EPA "standards" have caused those prices to skyrocket. Regards.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:36 AM
florida817

Default K&B Paint

Thanks Vince and Al -

Vince, I have to admit I've been very interested in latex ever since Roy Vaillancourt published an article on it some time back in one of the magazines (MAN?). In your experience do you find it produces a hard finish that can be polished, scuffed and weathered like epoxy? Don't remember whether RV mentioned it, but is it resistant to glow fuel?

The water based Nelson paints are interesting too. I bought some to use on a sport model, just haven't had time to finish it though.

Al, that was the scenario I remembered on the demise of Hobbypoxy. I have been very tempted too by the base coat/clear coat auto colors, but as you noted they're very expensive too.

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks again,

Tom
Old 02-23-2002, 02:36 PM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&B Paint

The latex house paint can be scuffed, and it looks very scale on a WWII warbird. IMO a WWII warbird with a glossy smooth finish is not scale at all. If allowed to cure, like over about a month or so, it can be sanded just like any other paint. I find it extremely durable, totally unaffected by gas/oil. It also hold up great to glow fuel, as long as the nitro content is below 10-15%.

Vince
Old 02-23-2002, 06:27 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default New K&B Paint

I was talking to Dave Platt a few years ago and discussed the NEW K&B Paint, He said it was junk, not worth the effort to use and some of it wasn't even fuel proof.
Sparky
Old 02-27-2002, 08:44 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default K&B Paint

A couple of years ago I used the new K&B epoxy to paint a Jet Hangar Hobbies Grumman Cougar. The paint job looked great. I did notice after a little while that the paint was chipping off of places like the corners of gear doors. The fuselage on this plane is still somewhat flexible after completion. It seemed that in some places where it tended to flex that the paint was lifting off of the primer(but did not break or crack).
Old 03-22-2002, 10:37 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint

Having watched Dave Platt's videos I have been tempted to try to find some of these finishes. However as they have all but dissapeared try using Rustoleum which can now be custom mixed at Home Depot I belives they can mix a quart for $9.00 I haven't tried it yet but I have a couple of cowls to paint -one Cub yellow and the other olive Drab flat. I will give these a try when the weather and time allows me. Jollyroger