Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
F-82 counter rotating Props >

F-82 counter rotating Props

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

F-82 counter rotating Props

Old 08-26-2002, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-82 counter rotation motors

Th counter-rotating engines wuld severly limt youon propellor and engine choices. There's not a good selection of engines which can be made to operate properly in reverse rotation, and there's a very limited selection (because of limited demand) of "pusher" propellors.

You have to have matched propellors and close to the same power engines on both sides. Mostly people use identical engines... but I've seen a twin with .40 on one side and a .46 on the other with no problems.)

Just make sure each engine has the thrustline angled outboard (as will be shown in the instructions...) and possibly a significant dwnthrusyt will be recommended. (downthrust can sometimes be better than outboard thrust for single engine-out operation.)

Definitely, you want to have both engines broken in and RELIABLE before trying to fly the twin. And... practice single engine-out at altitude, giving plenty of room to kill the second engine if it forces a spin. (CG forward... hard to get out of a spin with aft CG and no power.)
Old 08-28-2002, 11:06 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-82 counter rotating Props

The extra effort is really not worth it...unless you really want the scale effect of counter rotating props.
For the props ( Two Blade) go to http://www.zingerpropeller.com/Pusher.htm. They have a large selection. To reverse a two cycle engine, you need to find one with a bolt on front bearing and carb cover for the front of the crankshaft. The earlier Super Tigres are a good example. Unbolt the front cover and rotate the front 90 degrees and install a pusher prop.
If you do not have twin experience, the one word is reliability. Always use a copilot and hold the plane at full throttle straight up and listen to the engines. Any sag and do not fly..fix it first. Do this every flight.
For more on twins go to Rcwarbirds.com and the twins forum.
Good luck and welcome to the multiengine world.

Twins Cause Gray Hair,,,,,wish I still had some!!!!