Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

What Finish would I use for a scale Piper Tri Pacer?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

What Finish would I use for a scale Piper Tri Pacer?

Old 07-02-2007, 01:04 PM
topgun61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Finish would I use for a scale Piper Tri Pacer?

Hello everyone!
I am ready to cover my 1/4 scale Piper Tri Pacer PA-22. I built the plane from Vince Miller plans. The wing span is 89" with a cord of 16" with everything mounted on the plane minus of course the covering and finish my plane weighs 17lbs. The plane has a full interior and is being powered by the OS Max 1.60 four stroke twin. The hp is 2hp @10,000 rpm and I will be swinging a 18-6 prop. To keep the finish light and also scale what finish would you recommend? I have used the Sig Koverall/dope finish with excellent results. But I am scared of the weight build up. My goal is to keep it under 20 lbs if possible. I never tried the Stits finish nor the Nelson system. What is the lightest finish out there? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Old 07-02-2007, 01:09 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: What Finish would I use for a scale Piper Tri Pacer?

Question.. why are you so afraid of weight? You have a BIG wing. lots of lift and enought power to fly scale. Im flying a SE5a with an OS 120 pump that weights 17 lbs with no problems.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

If you are proficient with coverall and dope, that would be your best bet as a good finish on the outside is what everyone forms their first impression from. So you would benefit from your previous experience. I'm flying a 22lb quarter scale cub...different engine, but it swings the same size prop....

Old 07-02-2007, 02:12 PM
eagledancer

i have been using nelsons a bit here lately, first off i do have to say it does take some getting used to. it is water based so you put it on in very-very light coats and allow to dry between coats or it will run. but it does stay very light.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My brother has just started a Vince Miller Tri-Pacer as well and will be using Koverall and dope for the finish. Obviously we don't know what the weight will be but I am re-designing much of the airframe to be a bit lighter. Vince went a bit overboard on the structure in my opinion. For instance, we just completed the tail surfaces which I re-designed to eliminate the solid wood stabs. The outlines were laminated to shape and the rest of the structure is just sticks. I'm redrawing everything in CAD and laser cutting the parts so you can be sure that lots of lightening holes will be added as well. You've got almost 10 square feet of wing area so 20 pounds should not be any problem.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:11 AM
HHjul

I would recommend a silver Solartex and a thin coat of automotive paint. It´s not the cheapest one but it will look very realistic on the ground and in the air (silver base color prevents the "see-through" effect).

Swiss FAI F4C RC Scale world champion Andreas Luethi has covered his Jungmeister with Solartex.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys do realise that the 1/4 scale plan and laser parts from Uncle-Willie are near based off the Ventura based Vince Miller plans of back when. If you visited RCSCALEBUILDER this was explained in one of their earlier postings.

Wm.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

You guys do realise that the 1/4 scale plan and laser parts from Uncle-Willie are near based off the Ventura based Vince Miller plans of back when. If you visited RCSCALEBUILDER this was explained in one of their earlier postings.

Wm.
Not sure I understand your point CBL. My brother purchased his plans and cowl from a legitimate source which, I think, was Mr. Miller's Widow.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:40 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C.V....

Well, had been some mention of essentially what is duplication of work mentioned in an above paragraph. Why then draw up and cut up parts which is essentially doing same work twice?

It was also my understanding that someone from middle America (St. Louis area?) had bought up most everything from Ventura and Vern Miller. I do not know if the Tri-pacer was a part of that buy up. But about same time the same person bought up numerous other plans from original designers living and not (any more). Saw advertisement in some little quarterly a good two years ago.

Wm.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

The plans were bought up by Susan Calvin and are now sold by Calvin's Classic Plans. I got my Tri-Pacer plans from her. A real nice lady to deal with. She does not have a website but I have her address around here somewhere if anyone needs it. William do you have a link to the rc Scalebuilder topic?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: HHjul

I would recommend a silver Solartex and a thin coat of automotive paint. It´s not the cheapest one but it will look very realistic on the ground and in the air (silver base color prevents the "see-through" effect).

Swiss FAI F4C RC Scale world champion Andreas Luethi has covered his Jungmeister with Solartex.

I have to agree with HHjul. Silver Solartex is awesome! Looks exactly like silver doped fabric and is easy to paint with whatever you want to paint it with. It's all I use now on fabric aircraft.

Yak
Old 07-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

C.V....

Well, had been some mention of essentially what is duplication of work mentioned in an above paragraph. Why then draw up and cut up parts which is essentially doing same work twice?
I'm re-drawing the plans because number I think it is heavier than it needs to be and, because I'm not finding the plans to be all that accurate. I'm not just tracing the plans, I'm re-drawing them to make sure they are accurate and reflect our building preferences. I have access to a laser so I can do my own cutting once the plans are re-drawn. I certainly agree with your position on bootleg plans. I have a great deal of respect for those drawing and offering plans and I have not, and will not, purchase from any of the ebay rip-off artists.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:13 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Post some pictures.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

I recently recovered the Hanger Nine 81" cub with sig koverall, then I used one coat of primer (from a spray can) from Lowes, then use exterior grade latex house paint, then the nelson clear coat with cross linker to make the finish fuel proof. I don't know how much the paint added, but it came out real nice especially after I added the nelson clear coat.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:50 PM
ScaleAero

Chad:

Didn't realize you had a laser...we should talk....I'm re-oping many of the Effinger 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, and 1/6th designs. Actually in the throws of working over the 1/3 Tri-Pacer as you read this.

Fred:

Wow, talk about long time no hear from... : )

Ed Clayman
Old 06-30-2009, 12:37 PM
allr
My Feedback: (49)

Ed,

I am looking for a set of the plans of the Tri-Pacer offered by Vince Miller. Wanting to enlarge to 42% size. I am not fimilar with Effinger's designs. The plans needs to be close to scale. Any ideals"
Rickey
Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 PM
bassbug62p

Hi rick, you can get 1/4 scale TriPacer plans & cowls, from> (Calvin's Classic Plans) these are Vince Miller plans... These plans are owned by a Lady named Susan Calvin... If you Google ( Calvin's Classic Plans) you will find them... > This is one of my 1/4 scale scratch built from BERKELEY TriPacer 44" plans, enlarged to 89" Wing Span... you also can get (Wendell Hostetler) 1/3 TriPacer Plans... check It out... Alex
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94612.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1228851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17309.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1228852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43859.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1228853  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Ronald_Arif

What engine (size/manufacturer?) would comfortably fit in the Wendell Hostetller 33% Tri-Pacer design?
I was told by the designer that 3W-48B2 Twin would fit, but probably hard to find now-a-days.
Any suggestions?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:19 PM
bassbug62p

Hi, I use Brodak Dope which is really Randolph Dope, this is what they use on full size fabric covered Airplanes.... Lots of colors.... I'm not sure on engine size for 1/3 scale 3W (Twin) not to big,would be nice.......ALex
Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 PM
jerryZ

Need 1/4 scale plans for Piper PA-12 Pacer. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 07:50 AM
bassbug62p

Hi, FRED NOVACK has the PA-12 plans... Alex

Plan #124 - 1/4 Scale Piper "Super Cruiser" - 108" Wingspan
-4 Large Sheets, Gas or Glow, Fiberglass cowl for this plan available through Fiberglass Specialties

5105 Pine Hill Circle

Howell, MI 48843

Phone: (810) 227-1174

Fax::

E-Mail: [email protected]

Howell, MI 48843

Phone: (810) 227-1174

Fax::

E-Mail: [email protected]
Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 AM
bassbug62p

jerryz, here's some more! CLAVINS CLASSIC PLANS HOPE THIS HELPS Alex

Piper PA-12 (1/4 scale)

Product Information

This is the “Cadillac” of the Vince Miller plans. The PA-12 Super Cruiser is the three-place Cub. Think of it as a PA-18 with a two-place rear seat. Some folks refer to this plane as the “Fat” Super Cub, however this is misleading. This is a nice looking plane and will stand out at the flying field. The real plane was painted in Tennessee Red and Cream and will stand out from other Pipers. The plans show a Fox 78RC engine but also suggest a ST-91 RC, or Enya 120 four-stroke or OS 120 four stroke. Construction is all balsa and ply. Scale fidelity is good to excellent with lots of scale details shown, including a working cockpit door. The wing uses a USA 35 B airfoil with a slight under-camber.

ÂĽ Scale
108’ Wingspan
Plan number VM-1

Sheet 1 - 36 x 86 (21.5 sq. ft)
Sheet 2 - 36 x 86 (21.5 sq. ft.)

Price: $40.00

* Tell a Friend

Product Options:
Shipment Method

Product Code: VM-1Susan Calvin
3704 Drumm Ave.
Independence, MO. 64055