Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Ikon N'west kits

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Ikon N'west kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ikon N'west kits

I picked up an Ikon Stinson SR-8 kit earlier this year that turned out to be missing all the fiberglass parts. It's not a big deal except for the cowl. So if anyone has a damaged but repairable cowl I'd be interested. If anyone had an SR-8 kit they started but were never going to finish I might be interested in taking it over. The less started the better and ideally I'd like one with an unstarted fuselage.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:41 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lake Flyer

I picked up an Ikon Stinson SR-8 kit earlier this year that turned out to be missing all the fiberglass parts. It's not a big deal except for the cowl. So if anyone has a damaged but repairable cowl I'd be interested. If anyone had an SR-8 kit they started but were never going to finish I might be interested in taking it over. The less started the better and ideally I'd like one with an unstarted fuselage.

I would think, but not sure, that the GP SR-9 cowl woiud fit, along with the cuffs, etc.

John, thanks for the catalog page. I wish that I would have picked up a Vega kit, too.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM
FokkerAce

Any chance of posting the whole catalog?......never seen one of IKON's

Thanx, FA[8D]
Old 12-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Mode One

So, what's the skinny on Ikon, are they down for the count?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:05 PM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I firmly believed that Ikon was down and out until my friend told me he contacted Ikon to see about buying a Gee Bee kit. A couple of calls later and he thinks the kit may be had within a few weeks. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it. But I hope it happens just the same. I finished an Ikon Waco UPF-7 kit last summer and although it was a bit of work with some frustrating moments, I'd be up for another Ikon kit. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:55 PM
harleywings

It's been almost three years now and I'm still waiting on my 1/4 scale Tri- Pacer COWLING that they said would be sent out ASAP. Tried email and calling and got NOTHING.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

ORIGINAL: Lake Flyer

I would think, but not sure, that the GP SR-9 cowl woiud fit, along with the cuffs, etc.
Tom, I have a friend who has both kits. The aftermarket flairings and wheel pants would fit. the cowling is a little different but could probably trimmed to fit. I prefer the looks of the Ikon cowling. After Emil came out with this kit I saw several for sale at the NW Expo that had been barely started. I suspect the builder's either did not understand how to build them or just got in over their heads. Anyway if anyone has a cowling send me a PM.
Thank's, Lake Flyer

Old 12-22-2009, 04:39 AM
TomCrump

I have to agree with you on the looks of the cowl. There's just something wrong with the TF version.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 AM
ARUP

If you are not in a big hurry I can make a mold from the origional then glass one up for you. It's too cold right now to do layup. I do this stuff outside because it smells and the temps won't be compatible for this work until late spring in KY. All of my glasswork supplies are polyester based. I avoid epoxy- it's not 'if' you are allergic to it but 'when'. Besides the Stinson, I have a Mr. Mulligan, GeeBee 'E', Curtiss Robin, Rearwin Speedster, Fairchild 22 and a couple others(?). The Rearwin cowl has been cut but I can plug the holes to make a mold (will take a little longer).
Old 12-22-2009, 10:33 AM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: harleywings

It's been almost three years now and I'm still waiting on my 1/4 scale Tri- Pacer COWLING that they said would be sent out ASAP. Tried email and calling and got NOTHING.
Please e-mail me to jog my memory. I was in the same boat as you regarding kit and no cowl. There is a cowl that will fit made by ??? I was able to get one about 2 months ago when another RCU member told me about it. I'll get the info from the box the cowl was shipped and get it to you. You will have to make minor firwall adjustment to make it work, preferrably before build.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:46 AM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: Michaelj2k

I tripped acorss a set of plans for the Waco CTO. Anybody have a set of templates for wing ribs and fuse bulkheads and formers? The plan shows an airfoil for the CSO as well.
If you don't find what you need get a 3 view to generate the fuse formers. The cowling and firewall are round and it changes from there. The plans already have the basic box width. Music wire front to back is a great tool to use to take measurementnts for former depths. A pain but can be done. Use the 'stack method' for rib patterns.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:25 AM
harleywings

About waiting three years for the cowling, no I did not I was able to get one from Susan Calvan from here 1/4 scale pacer. I was not going to wait for Ikon & Wst to send me one after I was told over and over that they would send one out to me. The Tri-Pacer kit I got from him was BASHED to the point that it is now a Pacer and no longer looks like the kit with all of the scale fetures that I added.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:12 PM
FliteMetal

I am curious, has anyone heard a single word out of Aaron Silk? Recently my phone has rung off the hook with people trying to order Ikon kits. There's no accounting for why his opportunity fell apart. What's left of Emil and Violet's hard work languishes until someone begins to pirate the plans on Ebay... What a shame !
Old 01-15-2010, 11:33 PM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: FokkerAce

Thanx, FA[8D]
I scanned pages from 3 different catalogues. Here they come!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 PM
ARUP

Thanx, FA[8D]
... and here are more. Didn't want to overload!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:46 PM
ARUP

Thanx, FA[8D]
... and more again! (Wasn't that a song by Arthur Lee of LOVE?). A nice touch by Iris and Emil Neely was that they included a centerspread of builders with their models giving their name, city and state- a very nice personal touch! They also had a newsletter. I don't have earlier catalogues with airplanes like the Culver Dart and ??? others. They kitted a small Hawker Hurricane, too!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 AM
cosgrra
My Feedback: (11)

I just noticed this thread and became very intrested. I have a 1/4 scale Gee Bee Model Y kit without the cowl. I would really like to build this model so if anyone has a cowl new, used, damaged but repairable I would like to hear from you.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 PM
yel914

Sorry, no info on a cowl, but an update on my friends Ikon kit purchase. I said I'd believe it when I see it, and I saw it. After many, many phone calls to Ikon, He has a new in the box, complete(with cowl) Gee Bee E kit. Is the company gone? I'm not sure, but you shouldn't have to beg to get a kit. Heck of a way to run a business! Perhaps there should be an Ikon support group established to help out all the folks in need.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:55 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I was surfing the fiberglass specialties site and saw this "Jap Tony KI 100" under the IKON N'WEST group.
I didn't know they ever had a Tony, anyone have any info,, google is useless so far
Old 11-08-2010, 06:39 AM
TomCrump

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

I was surfing the fiberglass specialties site and saw this ''Jap Tony KI 100'' under the IKON N'WEST group.
I didn't know they ever had a Tony, anyone have any info,, google is useless so far

Towards the end, Emil designed some smaller kits. Maybe this was one of them.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Brian R Adams
My Feedback: (3)

My dad (who lives about 90 miles from Spokane) and I were prowling around that area nearly twenty years ago, and we located the house at Ikon's street address in Post Falls, ID. No one was home, so we waited a while and looked around. Through a window I saw, in a small room, what looked like boxed kits stacked to the ceiling. It was a small, older house not unlike the ones built in that area after WWII, on a large lot, very unassuming. We left thinking it was more of a "garage business" than a going concern, and sort of disappointing. I never tried to order any kits, but always liked their full-page ads in the magazines, and the great-looking subjects.

Brian
Old 12-01-2010, 05:22 AM
roknHS

I would sure like to hear from anyone who owns a 1/4 scale Ikon Bird Dog. I need to know the control throws and ask some other general questions.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Whitieford

After along time of building my DHC-2 Beaver I feel most gratified. I've been building flying model planes since the mid 50's. My father purchased a vibrating micro-saw to cut out the pieces of balsa and some bass wood components. You couldn't cut your fingers with it. My first large gas plane was a 1946 Super Bucanneer F/F in 1962. I later modified to radio control after the escapement days to a proportional system, Kraft. Ok, enough about my background. These kits were just that andwonderful to cause one to think during construction. The quality of wood that was selectedbeautifully clean, light andstrong balsawood, like the old days. This takes time to find good quality wood even in the 70's. Think back as to some popular kits the wood would split while punching out of those sheets. These are no novice kits, but the real mccoy of model building ie tall ship model building. The designs with a little modifications would take you to the judges circles in scale builds. I chose this kita DHC-2 Beaver and she is built with mods of my father's military bird in Korea. 16486.She is a perfect matchfor the original.The plane flies beautifully with a OS 90 FS with power onboard glow driver. Take off is a little long, but once airborn flys like a dream at about 3/4 power setting. Of course I initially used the fiberglass cowling, then used my Beechcraft Stagger wing models aluminum cowling for a casting added the airscoop and epolite epoxy layed up my own cowling. This is model building! I gave this plane to my father later.I surpized myfather who was able to watch an ol'friend from the past fly over when I was satisfied with the build. I cheated I had my father wear a headset with the sounds of the big Pratt and Whitney 985 sounding off in his ears. I'm thankful for this man and his wife for attempting to build a business in the 70's. Remember gas prices went from double digits to triple digits the 80's had 18% housing loans and yet he kept the faith of trying to get us our cherrished toys delivered with the best products available while also taking on another job to live and finally health pulled him down. I personally can only say I'm sorry for those whom received incomplete kits, fiberglass parts were out sourced items or no kits at all. But with the plans and booklets these planes can continue to fly as scratch kits. I'm sorry to say over the years of final construction I miss placed both of mine. So instead of bashing, let all of us join forces and give thanks to a pioneer for we wouldn't have all the fiberglass, foam or light kits manufactured as ARFs today. But, remember those plans canbe copied and booklets for scratch buildplanes.They will and still do today stand out fortheir flying qualities andscaleat shows above the rest. Remember to keep the dirty side down. As pilots we all knoe we will be going West in time, so go with dignity, grace and pride in a job well done what ever our endeavors maybe.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:04 PM
lomcevoc
My Feedback: (36)

So, can anyone answer a build question related to the Monocoupe kit made by these folks:
Is the kit physically built with the Vertical Fin purposely offset from the Fuse center-line as the plans picture it?
Back in the days when I purchased this kit (I'm glad I was able to get one) I remember calling and talking to a gentleman and he mentioned "yea thats the way the original was built"
Well I have not gotten around to building this kit yet (no, its not for sale), but I was just wondering what others had done with this.

Thanks

Gregg
Old 12-14-2013, 06:10 PM
mobyal

Originally Posted by lomcevoc
So, can anyone answer a build question related to the Monocoupe kit made by these folks:
Is the kit physically built with the Vertical Fin purposely offset from the Fuse center-line as the plans picture it?
Back in the days when I purchased this kit (I'm glad I was able to get one) I remember calling and talking to a gentleman and he mentioned "yea thats the way the original was built"
Well I have not gotten around to building this kit yet (no, its not for sale), but I was just wondering what others had done with this.

Thanks

Gregg
It's been a while, but my recollection is that's the way I built mine -- which is the "336" or whatever. The Lindberg version. It flies fine. I hope you have a ton of patience. For every 20 minutes or so of building, you're gonna have about 2 hours of headscratching.
God luck
Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.