Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Royal Kits

Old 08-28-2008, 01:53 AM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Royal Kits

Keep the faith Zero freak! I love dropping in to a thread that I started, and am proud to see people sharing and enjoying the venue!
I hope I can add something occasionaly in the upcoming building season. - Eric
Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Kelsey_B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Zerofreak

ORIGINAL: scale dail

Wow! Great Zero! Does it still live?
No, unfortunately it crashed in a landing process – pilot error.
Previous flights I used to lower the gears first and then the flaps.
When gears was down the Zero had a little nose down attitude, but when flaps came down, it stabilized itself and was rock solid on landing approaches.
But for a change I would try to lowered the flaps first and then the gears – stupid.
At low altitude and downwind with low speed I lowered the flaps, and the Zero boomed up very rapidly and stalled.
I quickly gave full power on the engine, flaps up, and tried to softly pull up on the elevators, but it was too late. I never got the Zero under control again, and then it happened.

I really hate to see that. You had an awesome 1/7 scale Zero. If you decide to rebuild, and don't have a kit, I have a template file in cad you could cut your own pcs from.

May I ask how you added radii in the cowling for the gun barrels?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jh14657.pdf (53.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Zerofreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everybody

Well, of course it is a bit annoying when it happens, but I look at it this way - crashing is a part of the hobby, - build - fly - crash
I hate to rebuild planes after a crash, so after a couple of months or so I throw it away. I simply didn't care to rebuild it.
Right now I don’t have plans to build another Zero, but sometime in the future I sure will.

ORIGINAL: Kelsey_B

May I ask how you added radii in the cowling for the gun barrels?
Sorry, my English is not so good, so Kelsey_B, I'm not sure what you mean with radii?
Do you mean the two long oval holes on the top of the cowl?
If so, I used a hacksaw with a thin blade for metal.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:30 PM
quietrcfly

LOFFT,

Where are the pics of your P-38 maiden? And video??

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quiet********.com
Old 09-11-2008, 08:56 AM
loftt

I don't like being a tease, but I don't have the pictures and video ready to post yet. It was a great day and aside from a mishap on landing and some balance issues it was a very successful maiden. OK, I will tease a little. Here is the picture I posted earlier of me and my dad over 20 years ago when he first got the kit and the picture taken the day of the maiden with him holding the finished product. On a very personal level it was a great day with my dad. I will spill all the details about the flight when I get the pictures and video prepared.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28544.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1030772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87514.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1030773  
Old 09-11-2008, 01:41 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Looks great!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:13 AM
quietrcfly

OK, but we all want to see you with the plane! Oh wait, I have a pic right here![sm=wink_smile.gif]

Sorry I did not get any really good shots of it in flight.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quiet********.com

Name:	Nl30587.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1032169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98672.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1032170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48350.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1032171  
Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 AM
scale dail

That is nice! Another Royal P-38 in the air! Got a chuckle seeing your nose gear. My nose gear takes a beating, and over the years has looked just like that. Resulting in more airframe damage on the no flaps landing. ......... Did you get flaps on yours Loft?

Mine is 13 pounds too.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:21 PM
loftt

I finally got a chance to get the video my friend took into a format that could be uploaded. It has been a long journey for this plane and I am so relieved to have this first flight out of the way. I need to make a few modifications, but overall I was very happy with the flight. The plane weighed in at just under 14 lbs. I had to add 4 1/2 oz to the tail to get it to balance and I think I need another 4 oz to move the balance point further back. I had to keep a little up elevator the entire flight. I had all the up trim I could get and it still wanted to dive. Otherwise I didn't have to add any rudder or aileron trim. I have already begun the process of moving the rudder and elevator servos to the tail section to move as much weight back as possible. I would hate to have to add any more dead weight to the tail to move the CG back.

After getting to the field I did the normal radio gear and range check. It was at this time I found that my elevator servo had decided it had had enough and decided to quit working. Another friend of mine that was there just happens to live nearby and owns an online RC shop. You can check him out at [link=http://www.quiet********.com]www.quiet********.com[/link]. He was able to run over and pick up a new servo. After getting the servo replaced and going through all the checks again it was time.

It took most of the runway to get it in the air, but I think that was mostly due to being nose heavy and just not enough elevator throw. It came off very smooth. I quickly realized though that I would have to keep a little up elevator to keep it in the air though. After a few times around the pattern I figured I better get it down and so l lowered the gear. Something didn't look right and after a few passes it was clear that the nose gear was not extending all the way down. I raised and lowered the gear a few time, but that didn't seem to help. I didn't have much choice so I figured I would bring it down on the mains and hope it would not do too much damage. After looking at the video a few times I have come to the conclusion that a nose gear pull wire got hung up and prevented the gear from fully extending. I should be able to clear that up easy enough.

I am running two Hacker A50 12S motors on 2 Hyperion 5350mah batteries. This gives me about 750 watts per side at about 45 amps per side. I am swinging MAS 12x8 3 blade props. I may try 13x8 3 blade to get more watts. I think the motors are good for about 1000 watts per side.

Anyway, here is the video. The other guy in the red hat is my dad. He is the one who started this build more than 20 years ago. He did a little write-up in his blog here [link=http://tininthewind.com/blog/2008/09/]Blog Entry[/link].

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JArH1aX4K0]Royal/Marutaka P-38 Maiden Flight[/link]

Old 09-23-2008, 10:27 PM
scale dail

Thanks for posting video. Looks great!

Wish I knew how to change VHS to U tube! Got lots of video of mine over the years.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Riddle4U

Thanks lofft! I hope you dial it in. Viva la Royal. -Eric
Old 10-02-2008, 04:02 AM
bogbeagle

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind my butting in to your thread, but this seems the most appropriate place to ask for some guidance.

I've been trying to source a kit/plans for a Stuka, around 80"....with no luck so far.

Anyway, a chap has emailed me and offered me a NIB Marutaka Stuka, which is around 70", I think. We haven't talked money, but I am a little tempted, I confess.

However, I can't find many opinions re the quality and, in particular, the handling of this aeroplane. The little that I have found suggests that the Marutaka Stuka is a bit of a wing-dropper. Any opinons out there? If the machine has a reputation for being tricky, I'd as soon avoid it, to be honest. 'Spose I could scale down a Ziroli Stuka...the plans are only £53 +postage!

BTW, if any of you chaps is desperate for a Marutaka Stuka, I will pass along the seller's email address (if he's amenable). But the kit is in the UK, so there would be a bit of postage and, as I said, I don't know how much he wants for it.

TIA
David Turner

Old 10-02-2008, 06:17 PM
scale dail

Many years ago, I would see someone at the field that I had never seen before, with a warbird. (Back before ARF warbirds they were the most challenging of all.) And after they snaped it on takeoff, I would offer a few bucks for the wreckage. One of these was a Royal Stuka, Snaped after a couple of turns, (one of which was a little to sharp). 20 bucks and a few days and I had a Royal Stuka for sale! I did not like Stukas so I did not keep it. But SNAP SPIN it did!
Old 10-05-2008, 05:52 AM
sugarfox
My Feedback: (1)

Guys, I have an untouched kit of a F4 Phantom from Royal kitted sometime in the early 70's. Anyone have an idea what its value might be? I haven't seen another one for many years. Thanks Sugarfox
Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 PM
p51 fan

I just picked up a NIB Royal Zero kit at a swap meet. I would like to keep the kit and copy the plans and cut new wood pieces using the originals as templates. Is there a faster way to do this? Are there ways of having a short kit cut for me by a kit cutter. I know some of you guys are buying the plans from ebay and building your own. Are you cutting the wood yourself?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's something stinky about this one on Fleecebay. #140275091320
Old 10-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Riddle4U

p51fan, I don't think it would be hard to find a kit cutter. You could scan the plans at an architectural supply/service shop. Talk to the kit cutter and confirm any file format required (or send them your plans). I had some plans enlarged at one of these architectural places, and it was quite inexpensive. It really isn't as hard to cut your own as you may think, take an extra set and cut out the templates from the spare plan and attach them to your wood stock with 3m spray contact adhesive (one side only so it can be removed). A jigsaw of course helps, then sand the part down to the template. It won't take as much time as you think, and will give you some satisfaction!
Old 12-18-2008, 02:20 PM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

Guys, I have an untouched kit of a F4 Phantom from Royal kitted sometime in the early 70's. Anyone have an idea what its value might be? I haven't seen another one for many years. Thanks Sugarfox
Sugarfox,
Is there a chance you can tell me where the CG is on the F-4.
Thanks
Old 12-21-2008, 09:38 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: p51 fan

I just picked up a NIB Royal Zero kit at a swap meet. I would like to keep the kit and copy the plans and cut new wood pieces using the originals as templates. Is there a faster way to do this? Are there ways of having a short kit cut for me by a kit cutter. I know some of you guys are buying the plans from ebay and building your own. Are you cutting the wood yourself?

Thanks for the help.
I have done just that, using the uswing ebay parts, and copying the origonals from my Royal FW190A8 kit I have done some mods as well to update the kit and lighten it here's the build thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5620546/tm.htm
I have tried to detail the progress along the way,I am going to make a fiberglass cowl instead of the chunk of wood in the front,but for the Zero uswing has one for sale as a replacement for the spun aluminum cowl that comes with the kit.

the cowl wasn't the greatest,definatly usable though, but the canopy was nice quality for a reproduction.

I also have a junior Royal Zero,and the Me109,in my collection of kits I may do the same to,its almost like scratch building with patterns in a box ready for you
Old 12-22-2008, 11:24 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
There isn't one airplane that did not fly good if built correctly (built light and with wash-out in the wings) ! And the Marutaka Stuka is no exception to that rule.

There is one very important factor except the above two that is important...and that is flying experience.
If you combine these 3 factors all airplanes will fly good.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Cliff Ozier

I'm looking for a set of plans for a Royal Products Cessna 310Q.

I bought the kit in '75 and have built up the fuselage and tail surfaces.
The plans were stapled to the walls for 10 years for safe keeping but turned into bug food.
What was left was packed back in the box when we moved and has
been there for the last 16 years. But now I'd like to continue building.
Anybody? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 PM
7aso
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: Cliff Ozier

I'm looking for a set of plans for a Royal Products Cessna 310Q.

I bought the kit in '75 and have built up the fuselage and tail surfaces.
The plans were stapled to the walls for 10 years for safe keeping but turned into bug food.
What was left was packed back in the box when we moved and has
been there for the last 16 years. But now I'd like to continue building.
Anybody? Thanks in advance.
Try this guy,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-Cessna-310...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-16-2009, 02:00 AM
F-4D

I am just about to start A Royal Stuka 87-D look like it will be fun.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 AM
kestrel0222
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone build a Royal Pitts? I'm interested in building one of these planes. I was given a set of plans for this plane from a friend and was wondering if any of you had any experiences with the Pitts?

Thanks you,
Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have this one?

Name:	Jg14040.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1112407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17188.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1112408  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.