Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Royal Kits

Old 10-01-2009, 06:15 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal Kits

They should name it GIANT warbirds over the Rockies. They would think a Royal model a practical joke. Or it would get stepped on. "Oops I didn't see it"!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did ya know? Yea Dail yer right! That is why this thread is important, right? We don't need to meet standards...any of us!? I gotta admit nothing small impresses the "masses". We know in our hearts what a nice little plane we got. Hell, these were big planes in the day? That is a sure sign of aging..and I'm not going there quite yet. I do appreciate the classics. I hope we all can here (appreciate nice scale planes that are small by todays standards)!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:41 AM

The scale fun fly's have gone GIANT. I still like going to them, but am not excited about bringing any of my mid size (or .60 size) models to them. I am finding That the planes I work with are real odd balls in the sport these days. Hey, it looks big on the building bench!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:51 AM

I am not against the big models. I think that continuing and new scale modelers need to be confident that their smaller ones are worthwhile though. The big ones may likely fly better, but at a certain point.....if you can't hang it reasonably from the ceiling, it almost is beyond being a model (just one outlook). Jeez, these .60 size models used to be considered BIG! You just fly 'em closer and need to understand wingloading on the sub-giants. Dail, glad you post here..and glad I started this thread! Let's try to field some building questions from new builders? That is the fun part of the hobby. Bringing your plane that you took a year or more building, and then risk it flying...houray! That is the life of this hobby! Anyone with questions should not hesitate here. Build 'em boys! -E

p.s. I want to see some new plans builders here! It can occasionally be off Royal topic, since the Royal topic also includes "plans building" (my edict). This is almost scratch building (real scratch builders draw their own plans). I hate reading magazines now where they will call an ARF a kit? Whaaaaaa? I used to feel bad just building a kit instead of from some cool plan. ARFs are not kits! Ironically, what we used to call kits are apparently "higher-level" building now. Photographic, step-by-step manuals (cut, pin down, glue, clamp, sheet), should be enough for any intelligent American? Sanding, and covering aren't difficult..but you might be better on the second try than the first. Fun learning! I want to here from people that have bought plans and cowl on Ebay or something. There is helpfull advice here if you want. If you don't need advice, great, show off your progress!

The R/C hobby too often is said to be expensive. Fact is you can enjoy a lot on the cheap, if you put some thought and elbow grease into building and scrounging. You can buy everything cheap on Ebay equipment wise (and 72mhz is still good), engines, real kits..e.t.c. Now is the time to start!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The smaller the canvass, the more precise the (brush) stroke." It's easy to do scale big, that's why scale dail's P-51 Kyosho kit bash is so impressive...superscale .40 size. This size, .60/.90, seems just about right for me, large enough to be able to do good, see-able, details without being so large as to feel like I'm restoring an original. easier to store, transport and finance as well. It may be easier to do giant and have more options as to what is achievable, but for me the fun is figuring out how to miniaturize even further the details, and or mechanics, that are important to me.

speaking of "detail on the cheap".... 7 increments of brass tubing, leftover glass cloth, epoxy, and a bit of time and some soldering.....$6.00 or less in materials with plenty of all ingredients left-over for future applications.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71766.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1289451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59620.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1289452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15140.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1289453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81199.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1289454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47995.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1289455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn87396.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1289456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac64169.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1289457  
Old 10-06-2009, 11:09 AM

Nicework frets! Thanks for the pics. I am trying to motivate on my TF Stang (.60 size). I appreciate the gun port detail. I will use that picture! We'll stick with Royals here where possible, but love the sentiments. Big is fine. It isn't a competition with 'em in my mind...more just trying to drum up support for the traditional scale model size. We like them don't we? There is something to be said for bigger models, just we're saying you don't have to go that way. I for one hope we can get some park fliers eventually. Our size would be amenable to these guys. I just want people to keep building.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:43 AM

Hey everyone,

just got some great news on good, affordable,scale spinners.... the old CB associates/Tatone ones.

LHS informed me last week that a part I really needed was NLA due to mfg having gone out of business
So, after hunting down and googling every possible internet site and hobbyshop from Atlanta to Calgary to New Zealand to no avail[:@] searching for a cba p51 spinner new old stock I entered some ''fortunate mistake'' that led me to Mecoa inc. who apparantly bought out cb/tatone and is now shipping most of the old and familiar products again. yay!

http://www.mecoa.com/

for the old spinners like the 3 1/2' P-51 red spinner part # CBA5073 it is now CB507(3/5/7) (red/black/white)
3 1/2 P-40 spinners CBA508(5/7/9) (red/black/white) now CB508(5/7/9)

Tell your local hobbyshop so they can get this stuff again....even Sig mfg, the old distributer of those great cb spinners, had no idea that they were available again

they also do mail order direct by CC and even PayPal.

really got me a bit concerned that I was going to have to put out some large cash for a scale aluminum spinner( @$70) for flying and use the cb one I have for a display prop....or just forego the display prop and try not to mess up the spinner I haveover time. no worries now...got two spare cones in red on the way for $27 shipped. The complete set is $20 ( cone, set screw, propnut, & alumn backplate w/prop shaft adapter rings)

Old 10-10-2009, 11:12 PM

Mecoa, that's were I get my CB spinners. And replacement cones! Got new ones on my 38 for flying. Now if only Vortac bombs would come out again!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:58 AM

The Vortac bomb kits were great, there was another good mfg as well but I dont remember who it was. both had a nice narrow bomb release fairing as I recall. There's a decent bomb and release kit still available but it has a really chunky hanger/release assy...nothing like scale.

got started on building a scale display prop (top-flight used to have one for @ $18.00-discontinued) in anticipation of my spinner's arrival. used an old MAS16x6 classic series prop to start with, (another on the way) once it's cut away from the hub and the mounting ends are added and mounted it will be 20" (1:6.85 of 11'4") Tedious work for something non-functional. The cuffs are being made by wrapping a few winds of glass cloth and epoxy around the root with a tooth pick at the TE to get the straight line on the taper at the rear where the raw prop tapers. after rough shaping the epoxy with a file I putty it up and do the finishing. A 5 layer build of tape provides a straight line around and keeps the thickness uniform.

some reference pics and one blade finished, one underway. nomenclature and logo ready for reduction and decal making

The "cuff" on the real deal was specific to the P-51 only (and later used on some spitfires) and was there to increase airflow into the front oil cooler scoop to prevent overheating in extended ground ops. It gave negligable added performance at speed in the air though some Reno racers said it gave them a boost. the cuff was hard rubber and was standard on all A-D models except a very few D-20-NT's only (Dallas ,Tx production fac....not -NA which was Ingleside, Ca facility)which had an Aerotech blade at delivery due to a HamStanProp shortage. The cuff is missing on @ 50% of current flying 'stangs because it's 3x the price of a regular blade. If you see a blade with square roots it's one that had the cuff cut off- round root is just a regular bld.

Name:	Db85794.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1294036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39711.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1294037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71493.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	1294038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59031.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1294039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx22214.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1294040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn85696.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1294041  
Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 AM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: frets24
...the cuff was hard rubber and was standard on all A-D models except a very few D-20-NT's only (Dallas ,Tx production fac....not -NA which was Ingleside, Ca facility)which had an Aerotech blade at delivery due to a HamStanProp shortage.
Frets,

Pretty sure you meant to say "all B-D models" and "Aeroproducts blade". Don't believe you will find any cuffs on the Allison powered 'stangs and Aerotech used to make a fantastic R/C model of the Mustang but I don't think they made prop blades for the real deal!

Some really interesting reading on the subject at the link below for geeks (like me) who are fascinated by this stuff.

http://www.mustangsmustangs.us/theha...hp?topic=108.0
Old 10-13-2009, 06:23 PM

Good catch Chad! You are absolutely right, My fingers were faster than my brain on both of those. Thanks for the cool link as well. Neat to see full scale owners going back and forth.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM

Hi All.

Still have a Royal B-17 that needs a home.

Built straight, stock, glassed, but unfinished. was set up for four forty's. Still have box, instructions, cowls, canopys.

Central New York.....was thinking $400......PM offers

Thanx, FA
Old 10-14-2009, 06:21 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

It's nice to know there are other "Geeks" around.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:55 PM

RE "Geeks" ( those of us who are in rabid pursuit of info on our stuff)

Scale modeling of RC aircraft is a form of art and allows the modeler to sometimes really stretch the imagination for methods to accomplish various tasks of scale representation. Stuff has to be Light, durable and practical, as well as look "right". These boards are overflowing with creative ideas and seeing the accomplishments of others is a real joy. The vicarious feeling of accomplishment in the current worry filled times is a welcome refuge, if only for a moment.
for me me scale modeling has a three part enticement; 1) the build...watching something you create with your own hands and ideas come together and take shape, browsing the boards looking for others and watching their projects do the same; 2)the research-info, info, info...the real thing-the hows and whys, the experiences of the pilots crews and designers; other modelers ideas, info & links, victories and disappointments, the beauty, form and function of other well built and scale representations from the simple to the elaborate; and finally; 3) the flying! seeing my own in the air and at the field, watching and inwardly cheering for those vids of a successful maiden, sharing the disappointment of something gone wrong(not too often we hope!) and the commraderie at the field and on the boards.
Thanks to all who share the the love of the hobby!
Old 10-14-2009, 02:00 PM
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the ultimate geek thing we would all love to maybe perhaps see ourselves involved with where our skill and knowledge of aircraftcome to save the day and justify our time and expense in the hobby is like the movie, Flight of the Phoenix. Anybody else feel me on this?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:07 PM

Here, here!!!
Ya'know, the guy had a point- aerodynamics are the same big or small!
Old 10-17-2009, 06:35 AM

Frets, I liked your passionate speech here. We all are birdmen of a sort. I remember being seven years old and my dad having mom make some "jiffy pop" popcorn in order to watch the original Jimmy Stewart version of "Flight of the Phoenix". It is still a great movie in my mind. It is the first major movie to validate a model airplane designer! We all just grabbed blankets and layed on the carpet watching that movie! The remake was just ok. Remember that Frank Tallman lost his life flying the real flight of the Phoenix airplane! This is a real airplane lovers movie! Chad..I'll check that link out, thanks buddy. - Eric
Old 10-17-2009, 07:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Riddle4U

Remember that Frank Tallman lost his life flying the real flight of the Phoenix airplane! This is a real airplane lovers movie! Chad..I'll check that link out, thanks buddy. - Eric
It was Paul Mantz, not Frank Tallman. The movie was an influence on me also, having seen it on the big screen and jumping out of my seat when the truth came out. I was cranking out Guillow and Sterling kits left and right. It didn't matter if they flew or not.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:20 PM

Scale must be an addiction, better yet a disease (that way the wife can'y complain, only help you through it).

Just when I think I'm really making progress toward wrapping up and maiden some other detail pops up.
first it's the pondering and the "inside-the-head" building followed by the actuality. Realized recently that the tail gear in the P-51 retracts forward. So naturaly there was no choice but to perform minor surgery to remove the Robart tail unit that was in there and whip up a scale worthy forward action unit. This process of course had my focus on the tail area of the model and it began to niggle at me that there was'nt a tail light on the rudder.....Oh heck, it'll only take 10 minutes or so to whip that out (yeah right!!!).....Hmmmm, maybe a trim tab actuator while I'm at it, why not?.........

Anyway....

Now I gotta do wing tip lights. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I'm not even done with the display prop yet...."oh, the humanity!"

Anyone else suffer with this? by the looks of it, plenty....some really great planes on previous pages.

Light is a non functioning 5mm led in a brass tube. actuator just taped in place, still needs clear coat b4 perm. attaching

Name:	Xv64873.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1296852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47995.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1296853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82563.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1296854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50132.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1296855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75450.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1296856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20017.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1296857  
Old 10-19-2009, 12:57 AM

That is look'in really good! Thanks for posting the pics!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 AM
My Feedback: (2)

fret how did you do your lettering, it looks good, I am trying to figure out how to transfer the lettering to the surface, I hate peel off decals , it looks cheesy.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 AM

Foxx,
lettering is from a custom set of dry transfer/rub on nomenclature set made by aeroloft.com. She has a pretty comprehensive generic set as well, just start at the bottom of the decal page and work up to P51's. the last set is nomenclature only. Promark graphics has a pretty good generic set as well and he can down size from what he's got on special right now..

www.aeroloft.com/

www.pro-mark.com/

Scale Dail, Thanks for the good words. I've seen your Kyo P-51, so that's quite a compliment coming from you.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 AM

Frets, the Stang looks good. Did you show more of it here already? It sounds like I fudged on my retract TW on my TF .60 Mustang...it is a Robart with extended wire to the wheel that I "bent-up". Lights are a fun addition, my next plane (the blown-up Royal Corsair) will have them. I wonder how the Royal Mustang compares to the TF? For the Corsair, the Royal is the better outline. Not sure on the Mustang. Edit for addition: Frets, I have the TF display prop. I don't think it had the decals.....could you make a spare set for me? Just PM me.

Michael: Thanks for the Correction of credit to Paul Mantz for being the pilot in Flight of the Phoenix. Frank Tallman started "Tallmantz" Aviation in 1961 with Paul Mantz. If you notice...both pilots last names have "..MAN.." in them, so I can never keep them straight! Tallman was killed in 1978 flying a Piper Aztec of all things (deteriorating weather they say). Check the link below for some interesting movie and TV credits for stunt flying (find the link there for Paul Mantz also).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Tallman
Old 10-24-2009, 09:20 AM

Has anyone converted the Zero junior kit to electric?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:56 PM
My Feedback: (42)

Hello,

I am new to the kit world and I just received a Royal Zero Kit from a friend who bought it in the 70s but never put it together. It is in 10+ condition for being stored all of these years and now has the pleasure of being built. Comes out of New Mexico so humidity had no effect on the balsa. Any advice where I could get some books or articles for tips and tricks on building kits and on glassing.

RCairplanep51

It's never to late to fly backwards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.