Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Royal Kits

Old 11-30-2007, 11:10 AM
TerryW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal Kits

Hi, I need a canopy for my Royal KI 61 Tony jr. I got it off of eBay and it was the only thing the seller neglected to say prior my purchaseing it. I live in USA, so would need an address or phone number, appreciate any help.
Thanks
TW
Old 11-30-2007, 01:35 PM
jaka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!
Sorry!But silicon tubing will not work on a four stroke exhaust...it gets to warm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74705.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	815359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf51774.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	815360  
Old 11-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Riddle4U

Jaka, really nice DC-3. That is the Royal version I presume? There is a 3 1/2 inch flexible aluminum header which should cool matters somewhat on my exhaust. Slimline markets a set up with high temp silicone tubing. I'm going to buy that and just use an inch or so as an adaptor. Pattern flyers have been using silicone quite close to the engine for years, and I believe two strokes run even hotter (i'll verify that). Thanks for sharing that nice model (like the Scandinavian Air version).
Old 11-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Hey Riddle, did you silver solder your exhaust? That will be all that will work. I just acquired a Royal Giant Scale corsair. This will be a project. Anyone out there built and or flown the 96" ws version. WHat did it end up weighing and what motor was used?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:23 AM
mintie

Hi guys....some pics of my Zero from down under.I bought the kit in 1990,and have spent time off and on over the years.I am really making a great effort now to finish it,and it is getting close.Have to admit I have built 7 other planes since I started the Zero..At the moment I am in the process of glass skinning it and have the wings done,and the tail feathers.To day have spent time making the bottom half of my pilot out of blue foam.Have fitted Spring air retracks with Robart scale wheels and oleo spring legs.Have started making up the exhaust system and intent to have all 11 pipes working. Yes have to admit the plane is a labour of love sanding all the balsa away but the end result is good.I have machined the wing guns out of aluminium tube as with the pitot tube.At the moment the weight is 8.6lbs.all up.The landing gear doors I made up of fiberglass,and as yet have to fit. Power super tiger. 61
riddle4u I like your plane.I am doing mine in the M5 colours of green.

Name:	Ki19109.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	815767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66748.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	815768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12391.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	815769  
Old 12-01-2007, 04:17 AM
Riddle4U

Mintie, I love it! Mine was framed so long ago. I notice you have the scale spinner. I have that part also and think it makes a difference. I want to weigh my plane accurately. I put it cowl down on a lousy human scale and it came up around 7 lbs. without engine and radio. I'd actually expect something like that. I think Lukes Corsair of a similar size (and glassed) came out at 9.6 lbs. fully equiped, correct me if I'm wrong Luke(quite lite). My Zero all-up will probably be over ten pounds I'm guessing. At this scale I think choice of wood is more important than worrying about the glassing. Except for the spar I think Royals maybe are overbuilt (unless you sand it down skinny).
Old 12-01-2007, 04:22 AM
Riddle4U

Oh, and Mintie keep us updated. I want to see the green version. That looks nice so far!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:42 AM
Riddle4U

Ram-Bro, good to here from you. From what I read here from people I trust, is that the bigger Royal Corsair isn't as good an outline as the small one. I don't know why that should have been the case. I have actually wanted to talk about blowing up the .60 Corsair plan to 1/6th scale as Luke had mentioned in the old thread. Does that have a big spun aluminum cowl? I have the .60 Corsair kit and in profile, I can see that it has the slope from the canopy down to the cowl going forward (and in general it looks good to my eye). I don't know why some popular kits do not have a proper outline, it seems just as easy to get it right, but I don't want to get people descending on me here. It is all friendly. I think that is still a great classic kit! Maybe I'll see you at warbirds over the rockies next year?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:38 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

I have a Royal B-25 that is in its final stages - needs primer, sanding, primer, sanding & paint to complete. My wife bought the kit for me late 1980s - turned out to be one of the last Tower Hobbies had. Because I still work for a living and have a very good friend who is retired and loves to build, Bob agreed to build it for me. The instructions with it actually use the old joke to put some glue in the box, shake it up and pour out a plane. I just got some of Nelson's water based epoxy primer to try. Mine has spring air retracts and two OS .46 SX for power.

Dan

Name:	Pn37296.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	815847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94777.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	815848  
Old 12-02-2007, 03:56 AM
Riddle4U

Sorry that I've been a hog here. Just excited that Grim Reaper showed up. I asked a lot of questions that were stored up in my head about his old thread. I kind of apologize.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:41 AM
stick08

Hi,

I just buyed on ebay the plan & canopy for th Royal KI61 , "uswing" have all the
canopy you need for Royal / Marutaka kits here the link :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...TODAY.m238.lVI

We can share pics if you want ?

I'm actually finishing my zero ( my third one from Marutaka) and will start the
KI61 when receiving the plan & canopy.

tks / Dan
Old 12-04-2007, 04:56 AM
stick08

hi,

Saving weight on Marutaka/ Royal kits is possible by covering the fuselage , stab & fin with "Depron" , I did this on a Zero 0.40 size , you dont see the difference with the wing that is glassed , I have flaps , retracts , and detailed cokpit and the total weight is a little less than the weight on the plan , the depron is covered with "Econokote" from Top flite or you can glass it . the first third of fuselage is covered with balsa & glassed and from the half part of the canopy it's all depron .

the Zero of the pic is my second one and is 10 years old , the third one is under contruction and will be more scale ,

Name:	Ay73390.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	818258  
Old 12-04-2007, 04:58 AM
Riddle4U

I haven't bought anything fron U.S. Wing on Ebay. There are lots of things available from him on Ebay. I with hold opinion, but there is an opinion expressed here strongly. Any one else have experiences? Let us get quality Royal stuff as possible.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Riddle4U

stick 08, I appreciate your ideas. With the nice planters, and such, apparent in the picture, maybe we need some more of your European style. Can I trade an old K&B .40 for a good bottle of bordeaux? Grand vins please..ha ha. Are you listening Bachuss? I tried to get my half-french nephews (6 and 8) interested in little Corsair models last year. No luck! Eyeballs were a rolling wondering where the lego kits were. Mamon! Mamon! (mother)!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 AM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

There is a yellow Royal staggerwing hanging in the Hobby Barn in Tucson. I have offered to buy it for the last 2 years each time I visit Tucson and they say it is not for sale.. I saw it again last week and it is awesome. It has the retracts and looks like who ever built it has probably built several. It looks fantanstic.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

is it me or what? I havent seen so many Royal kits forsale either here on RCU or on ebay in recent times. There is presently 2 P6E hawks forsale here, I bought a Royal Corsair, there is a Royal 60 size corsair on ebay and a Messerschmitt 109e 1/2 built . So many choices so little money........
Old 12-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Riddle4U

Great news for all of us Ram-Bro that a lot of the Royal kits are still coming up(don't bid against me now). I'm thinking now of blowing up my .60 plans on the corsair I have to 1/6th. It's just an idea but I thought of finding a shop which would make a spun aluminum cowl to my specs in the 1/6th scale. The weight is not a penalty usually on these things firewall forward. On a different note: I didn't mention that I used "Hydralocks" accumulators for the gear on my Zero on the up and down side (visible in my pics). They worked great; up lock and down were positive, and the slow retraction/extension speeds were very scale .. no "whack"(much better than air line restrictors). The lines did break brittle-like on my recent test and I had to clean a half ounce of fluid out of the wheel wells, but that is 20 years after I installed the system. I'm going to put new lines in and re-blead the hydraulics. The large airplane models especially seem to experience an unusual rate of gear failure and I wonder if this old hydraulic idea does not have some serious merit. If any one has Q's or info on "Hydralocks" please share. I think hydraulics should have been developed in models a long time ago. Particularly on large models, the weight is a non-issue relative to cartwheeling a nice model because of a stupid pneumatic failure. We just need higher quality connections whether air or potential hydraulic in my mind. I'm sure many have opinions but lets share actual experiences if possible....
Old 12-06-2007, 03:00 AM
mintie

riddle 4 u......an up date on my Zero.......now have the pilot near complete ,just have to fit his hands , put in the dial faces for the instruments and the interior is complete. The blue foam worked well for the bottom part of my pilot,and painted up nicely with model paints. Hope to do more glass skinning in the weekend. cheers mintie.

Name:	Ki19683.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	819588  
Old 12-06-2007, 11:30 AM
jaka

Hi!
Riddle4U ...Four stroke exhaust gases are much hotter than 2-strokes! It's possible that there are silicon tubing that can take the heat from a 4-stroke engine but in my 32 years flying I have never seen such tubing.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:33 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Royal kits rock
Old 12-06-2007, 03:39 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: scale dail

That is really nice! I qualified for the Scale Masters open class this year with my trusty old Royal P-38. I have several Royal kits in process, including a Piper Tripacer.
Cory,,,
The p-38 looks nice,
Ever finish the OS2U?
Old 12-06-2007, 06:58 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: had enough

ORIGINAL: scale dail

That is really nice! I qualified for the Scale Masters open class this year with my trusty old Royal P-38. I have several Royal kits in process, including a Piper Tripacer.
Cory,,,
The p-38 looks nice,
Ever finish the OS2U?
I was afraid you might bring that up. it is sidelined for more urgent projects.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 PM
scale only 4 me

I'll ride that horse til it drops,,,
the cl415 has a lot more dust on it too
Old 12-07-2007, 02:40 AM
Riddle4U

Jaka, greatly appreciate your input. I am just using the silicone tube to connect the long flexible pipe (with a steel elbow additionally) and reach the brass manifold (six inches total stock O.S. equipment). There is a threaded coupling at the end of the O.S. tubing and I have not figured an easy way to connect to a brass tube (to be soldered) on the bottom of my piece. I can't weld brass to steel elbow, so just using a short inch-long piece of silicone if the I.D. and O.D. even work to begin with (9/16" O.D. on metal tubes). Not to doubt what you say about 2 vs. 4 stroke exhaust temps, but firing every other stroke ought to lower the average exhaust temp (for a given R.P.M.). As a full scale pilot we have guages to monitor cylinder head temp, and exhaust temp. (the last of which is the surest way of leaning the mixture per pilots operating manual). Do you have measured exhaust temperatures of comparable 2 and 4 stroke engines? I raced and did my own mechanics on 2 and 4 stroke motocross bikes with success, but measuring exhaust temp. was not part of the routine. My principal concern was to limit conductive heat (metal to metal) going to my part as the soldering joints are more concerning to me. It may not work at all but I guess i'll find out next spring! Ha Ha! Also, 4 strokes need some back pressure so I'm not too worried about that (my manifold is the same diameter as the O.S. provided extension tubing), the combined area of the individual headers is much greater than that also. Any one else have an opinion? Other than that, I hope not to bore everyone.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Riddle4U

Jaka, I went to Slimline's website (tonight) and they offer high temp silicone tubing which they say works great for two and four stroke cycle engines. It will be precisely the correct inside diameter (I measured my own Slimline muffler). It comes with two 8" tubes and aluminum exit tubes which have mounting tabs that could be attached in-cowl! It uses PLASTIC ties to keep them attached. This may be a great solution for many of us with routing issues (i've decided to use these on the Zero with an O.S. 90). Even with a high power Craftsman soldering iron it was all I could do to melt the solder with the heat being absorbed by the surrounding metal (had to use a small torch). I'm pretty sure the exhaust won't be as hot as the tip of a soldering iron after going through the long metal extension pipe which is corrugated to be flexible (and so has more cooling area as well). I ain't worryin' about it no mo'! Thanks again for your thoughts and sharing that great pic of the DC-3!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.