Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Royal Kits

Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Royal Kits

Hmmm... some interesting thoughts. I have enjoyed taking on a wreck and the feeling of resurecting it is terrific! However, I agree with Dail; when it is your beloved aircraft that you already built...it may be well to pass it on to someone who doesn't remember all the work of the first build. If I rebuild a wreck (that I inherit), it is like a new project with a "head start".

I do agree that mostly I prefer to start a new one, but a Royal involves so much balsa block shaping that a wreck becomes preferable to a "restart". I pancaked my favorite Sig Kavalier sport flier 5 years ago, and Sig (bless their hearts) has seperate wing, tail, and fuse kits! The fuse was destroyed totally, but the wing was entire except the mounting plate...also the tail was intact. I bought a new fuse kit from Sig for 17.00 and stripped the whole plane of covering (wings and tail); other than the bucks for new covering material and so forth..I reatached the newly covered tail surfaces to the new fuse and reused cowl, landing gear, motor mount, control pushrods, canopy, and more. Here is the result (and it DID look as bad as this crash). OK...this site isn't allowing pictures right now...I'll add later.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those interested in a P-51D kit... I found this...

http://denver.craigslist.org/clt/1780419701.html
Old 06-13-2010, 02:59 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

loook here

semi scale royal corsair http://cgi.ebay.com/RADIO-CONTROL-F4...item2c54f8f9c5

Midi size royal corsair http://cgi.ebay.com/ROYAL-F4U-ID-COR...item2a07d3e522

junior size royal corsair http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-F4U-Corsai...item3a5bead7ed
Old 06-13-2010, 09:50 PM
My Feedback: (13)

there junior and midi sized planes small compared to the 60 size or giant,I have a couple of the junior kits and there a bit small about the same size as a great planes 40 size kit.

don't know if any one noticed but a royal giant went for 750$ a little nutty since you could get one lazer cut for a fraction of that and scratch build it for a fraction of that
Old 06-21-2010, 10:54 PM

This is nuts! I bid on two royal b-17's on flea bay and lost the first one due to last minute bidders so ok...
The second one I set my max bid as $700 and then hoped for the best. luckily for me some fool bid $710 at the last second and saved my behind.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:31 AM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigtim

there junior and midi sized planes small compared to the 60 size or giant,I have a couple of the junior kits and there a bit small about the same size as a great planes 40 size kit.

don't know if any one noticed but a royal giant went for 750$ a little nutty since you could get one lazer cut for a fraction of that and scratch build it for a fraction of that
There is a theory in Antiquing,, if some one is willing to pay $X now, they will be willing to pay $X+ later.

It's Collecting not building,,,I agree, it's Nuts
Old 07-05-2010, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone give me advice on what type of paint and make to use in my airbrush.I will be covering the plane with .6 glass first and I think I want to end up with a matt finish.Thanks.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:49 PM

try klass kote http://www.klasskote.com/
use OLIVE DRAB SHADE 41
Old 07-07-2010, 02:35 PM

Hi Dail
great looking plane you got there
i've just got hold of a set of plans for the Roayal P-38, didn't start building yet (few other project still in the pipeline before going to a twin engine), was wondering can you share some pointers on this bird, did you build from scratch or had a kit? what hardware did you use, what power plant instaled
TNX
ORIGINAL: scale dail

That is really nice! I qualified for the Scale Masters open class this year with my trusty old Royal P-38. I have several Royal kits in process, including a Piper Tripacer.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: I-fly-any-and-all

This is nuts! I bid on two royal b-17's on flea bay and lost the first one due to last minute bidders so ok...
The second one I set my max bid as $700 and then hoped for the best. luckily for me some fool bid $710 at the last second and saved my behind.
I agree! $710!!!! I guess if it has to be a 'Royal' kit then price is no object. If you only want to build a -17 then, as another poster stated, buy plans and maybe a laser cut pack of balsa and have at it! That's what I'd do.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:27 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks! The Royal P-38 flys so great I really this model. I have 4 of them. Only one that is flying. It is very old. All mine are from the kit. The one that I have been flying is fiberglassed. Power is two OS .45 FSR's. The retracts are Rhom-Air's made just for this model. I have got a few canopys from EBay that are pretty good now. The guy that makes them has gotten better.
With Powermaster fuel gone now I have to fine tune all my engines again. Just last weekend I lost an engine again on base. It wasn't too bad, just keeped the speed and power up decending with some rudder and landed. But It is a very serious event to loose an engine with a Royal P-38! I was in a good spot when it happend. That is how most of them died. (Now everyone will say to go electric! Yuk! is all I can say to that.)
I have been trying to get some good video, but it is hard to find a good camera man. I want to post a good one. I will update soon.
ORIGINAL: nbaror

Hi Dail
great looking plane you got there
i've just got hold of a set of plans for the Roayal P-38, didn't start building yet (few other project still in the pipeline before going to a twin engine), was wondering can you share some pointers on this bird, did you build from scratch or had a kit? what hardware did you use, what power plant instaled
TNX
ORIGINAL: scale dail

That is really nice! I qualified for the Scale Masters open class this year with my trusty old Royal P-38. I have several Royal kits in process, including a Piper Tripacer.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hats off to you, Dail ! I always thought "old Royal P-38" was an oxymoron.

Dick
Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: ARUP

ORIGINAL: I-fly-any-and-all

I agree! $710!!!! I guess if it has to be a 'Royal' kit then price is no object. If you only want to build a -17 then, as another poster stated, buy plans and maybe a laser cut pack of balsa and have at it! That's what I'd do.
I got you loud and clear on going with a laser cut kit, but the problem I'm fearing is that I have no way to determine if the laser cut kit would even be accurate as most people fail to understand that the templates purchased from the guy on Fleabay are completely inaccurate enlarged versions of the reference page in the manual.
I would like to get an original kit, trace the parts and duplicate it.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:49 PM

Right On!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM

Also A huge thanks to Kelsey_B, this fine gentlemen took a new in box .60 size (senior) royal corsair kit and uplicated all the parts in cad (computer aided drawing/design) and sent them to me and I was given permission to pass them along to interested parties at no cost.
However, when I had mine printed at staples the only challenge was that each individual section has to be enlarged according to its own scale.
Printing costs were about $65
not too bad. I have a build started here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96..._1/key_/tm.htm
but am waiting to this winter to get going. I messed up on the horizontal and will be re doing it and making aluminum templates of each rib to ensure that the parts are accurate.
for simplicity I will most likely take the center rib and the tip rib and slace out the dimensions of the others between them so that I am able to maintain accuracy when I make the aluminum templates (should any be way off).
Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 PM

I can't wait! But I must get my current project done first.(F-105) Then I must rebuild the ailerons on my old P-38, because they have both torn off in flight at different times because they have quite a lot of slop, as do the rudders. 25-30 year old planes do get tired!
I lay awake at night thinking about how I will rebuild the most scale Royal P-38 the world has seen! I have always wanted to do this P-38F on Guadalcanal. The 339th FS. at the time was the most forward deployed P-38 Squadron in the Pacific. (Jan 1943)
I should be able to get to it around Oct. this year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42358.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1488864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52169.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1488865  
Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Not much going on here lately.

just wondering if anyone knew what happened to "7aso". his website dedicated to Royal kits has collapsed and he hasn't logged in to RCU for a long time either.

Lippo,
How's that B-17 coming along?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 AM

Hi frets24,

I was also wondering what happened with 7aso because I first posted my little list of Marutaka/Royal kits on his web site and his site  suddenly dissapeared without any advise.

Fortunatly, I had a copy and could post the list here on RCU under Marutaka/Royal Kits list

To all of you, please remember that any help to complete the list would be highly appreciated.

Happy Landings,

Old 09-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Hi Dail, good luck with the P-38 dream! Your statement that you lie awake thinking about the most scale Royal P-38 ever sounds like our mission statement on our 1/6th F4U-Corsair group build here. Unfortunately our mission statement is a little vague in that it doesn't state directly that we started with blown up .60 size Royal Corsair plans, and so we have squables about where to defer to Vought drawings to modify it for correctness. I understood the Royal .60 Corsair to be derived from Paul Matt 3-views, so I am using that for source. It seems some in our group don't fully recognize that if you compete in scale competition your model is judged by your own provided 3-views and NOT the actual aircraft! It falls on deaf ears though....ha ha ha! You wouldn't have a problem using the Paul Matt as source would you (particularly on our Corsair)? Dave Platt mentions that the factory 3-views are often inferior to other well drawn source, since the factory didn't build from their own 3-views necessarily, but by thousands of pages of engineering charts, drawings, e.t.c., and the jigs themselves may have been altered by a textual internal document superceding a 3-view meant to convey the design to non-engineers. Help!

Are you thinking of enlarging your P-38 idea a bit (I know you kind of like the smaller sizes)? I think 1/6th is a nice size (not a ridiculous 1/4 scale effort). I like that I can use a 1/6th pilot figure commonly available (needs to be lightened). I do also like the .60 size scale models of the seventies, and these "experimental RPV's" of today are getting a bit ridiculous. The big ones do fly well, and look good in the air though (if you ignore storing and transporting).

I am curious on your thoughts about source 3-views and scale competition, particularly where it might be appropriate to inject factory source in a scale project, thanks! -Eric
Old 09-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Not only do you need good documentation, but you need to have good JUDGES!!!! Scale compitition is a lost art.

I have always used Squadron in action series books 3-views for my documentation. Paul matt drawings would be very good.

I have also started a much more detailed build thread in the rcscalebuilder forum-
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...TID=15609&PN=1

But I am way ahead of myself now!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Thanks, Dail. I am using "Corsair Aces of WW2" by Mark Styling (what a name), for my color profiles (Osprey publishing). I am doing the "Birdcage F4U-1", specifically the early "Marines Dream". Can I use their colors for match alone or do I need color chips? If you do a field example with photos (black and white)....the original chips won't match anyway due to fading in the theater? You seem to have more experience in comp. than most, so I and others would appreciate your advice on a documentation portfolio. Thanks, Eric

p.s. Sadly scale competition is becoming a "lost art", as you say. Soon it will all be horrible ARF's (whirring electrics to boot)!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:28 PM

One thing I got nailed on at the 2007 Championships with my Stafford B-24, was proof of color. You need a published sorce that states what the correct colors are then show the color chips. Or skip it all and show good color photos only. Not to be done with a period aircraft, and black and white photos. I had color chips and black and white photos, but not proof that that was on the plane.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:37 AM

Wow, the old Stafford '24! I remember the adds. So, I want to clarify...since if I am doing a weathered F4U-1 in the field, and the photos of the specific prototype are all in black and white, what do you suggest, again? Could I show the color profile plates with markings and insignia of my specific "Marine's Dream" as proof of color? I don't have a color photo of the weathered color so what does one really do here in competition? Obviously one in the field won't match even good color chips of the original paint, and some are even field-painted! Confusing! What would David Platt do?! -Eric
Old 09-20-2010, 01:27 AM

What would our scale god Dave Platt do?
Maybe you could show a corsair so weathered as the one you are doing with a note as this is typical weathering of a Corsair in the combat zone? A good question for others-
I dout the Top Gun champions of our day would bother to read a thread on the lowly little Royal kits!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:59 AM

Geez.....! I guess we are "lowly" ha ha ha! The spirit of old time scale building exists here, however, I hope!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.