Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Royal Kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 04:45 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal Kits

ORIGINAL: Riddle4U

Scale dail..show us that Rare Bear!
I don't want to be a thread spoiler. it is from a vintage Top Flite kit. with scale clipped wings.
Maybe someone could start a vintage Top Flite kit Thread.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14146.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	830865  
Old 12-21-2007, 04:58 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Speaking of bearcats, I have 2 Royal Bearcat kits and an old airframe, just ended up with them over the years. stay tuned, I am going to comission a set of articulating scale retracts for this kit. the plans show the gear in the scale location when they are up. when they are down they are too short. is your royal bearcat too short? it will not be easy, but for me it will be worth it!
After working all night, it is time to get off the computer and into the shop!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I remember correctly, it will break apart at the ming and boom junction and just ahead of the stabilizer and boom. Take a look at post #54 and you can get a good idea
Old 12-22-2007, 04:22 AM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JSmeed, I don't yet have the P-38 plans(yet). These ARE builder's kits so, you know, its really up to you. I like the idea of just taking the wings off outboard of the engines and pylons and keeping the rest as a unit. This is discussed on the P-38 page here on RCU (they happen to be Royal P-38s by the way). The important thing to remember, is that you can do it any way you want. We can all benefit in this hobby knowing that there is nothing life-threatening about making changes to a design. Anybody else want to jump in with detail on how to make this plane practical for transport for this gentleman?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Riddle4U

Scale Dail, thank you for your politeness about a Top Flite design here. I think I did mention in a post early on that this is a SCALE thread also. You are very welcome to bring in the subject of your Bearcat regardles of manufacturer. Yes; the main topic is Royal kits. That is because they are a nice and popular scale maker. Anybody feel free to discuss any scale models here (within reason). 'nuff said?
Old 12-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Riddle4U

RC pilot 100- rereading this thread of mine(oh yea, I said not mine..ha ha). Hows that B-25 coming along? (this is back a couple pages for you all). Thanks for those pictures.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:04 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Riddle4U,

The B-25 is waiting - waiting for me to finish my 35% Edge 540 and 1/3 Scale Cub. Within a week all the Edge will need is paint on the cowl & wheel pants - by the end of March, all the Cub will need is paint. At that point in time, I will start priming sanding painting everthing including the B-25. Will post pics of the B-25 as I spray. I do need to order some stencils for it - don't like decals. Later.

Dan
Old 12-28-2007, 05:34 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Speaking of b25s, a guy has a partially built one for sale in market place.
If he wasn't so far away, I'd consider it.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:38 PM
RCPilot100

Had Enough,

You have to drive to check the stuff out. I did a two hour drive to look at a big cub - good deal on the internet - not too good looking up close & personal. I got the B-25 way before they became popular - when I fly it next year, everyone will have one. Just picked up a Zirolli P-40 kit - hope to get that in the air before they get popular.

Dan
Old 12-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Riddle4U

RC Pilot 100.. I'm a huge Cub fan. I rebuilt a partially wrecked Goldberg Cub (given to me) and added the braces and struts (gear, tail, and semi-braces for the main struts) after fixing and recovering it. I'll post a picture if I can first learn to take a digital picture of an old film pic. It looked darn good. I have the old smaller scale SIG scale kit (69 or 72" wingspan). I think the old and not so old SIG kits are terrific platforms(their 1/4th scale came later). Share pics! As I have said, good scale planes are welcome here regardless of being Royal kits or otherwise. These ARF's are killing us! Who really gives a rat's hind side about anyone who shows up at the field with an ARF B-25! Ha Ha! If you didn't build it, expect NO respect![sm=punching.gif] (I always wanted an excuse to use this icon).
Old 12-29-2007, 05:42 AM
Riddle4U

RC pilot 100..the P-40 has been popular since maybe 1936! I have no fear of showing up even with a nice P-51: there is always room for a quality model, we just have to up the bar on our builds to get attention (know what I mean?). Oh..and Okay lets kinda stick to Royal kits here a bit more. That is what will be expected by newcomers here (rightfully). To everyone dropping in here: share pictures and stories of your Royal projects so we can keep this thread in line. Thanks!!! (this is not to discourage the other conversations going on here).
Old 12-29-2007, 09:50 AM
FokkerAce

Hi All:
Also found a Royal B-17f, mostly built, glassed, rest of parts in box.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83418.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	836370   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42752.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	836371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31492.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	836372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33675.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	836373  
Old 12-29-2007, 11:52 AM
salmon
My Feedback: (114)

You guys are still building from SCRATCH????[X(]
Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 AM
bacplus
My Feedback: (432)

Who is the person who can offer replacement canopys for Royal kits? I have a Royal Oscar 40% built and need a canopy.....No Alum Cowl......Glass on mine for sure. Need the canopy. BTW Changed the airfoil and also the force arrangement. The 7% tip did not cut it. Thanks for the help.

-Bill
Old 01-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

start reading from post 14 . I believe he or they are mentioned there
Old 01-02-2008, 03:43 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: bacplus

Who is the person who can offer replacement canopys for Royal kits? I have a Royal Oscar 40% built and need a canopy.....No Alum Cowl......Glass on mine for sure. Need the canopy. BTW Changed the airfoil and also the force arrangement. The 7% tip did not cut it. Thanks for the help.

-Bill
There's a guy on Ebay that is selling reproduction canopies of several Royal/Marutaka kits
He also sell re-prints of the kit plans,,, since they are long OOB I don't see harm in buying from him
He has a Oscar Canopy, Plans and Cowl also
Ebay seller "u.s.wing"

Actually he has a set of Tony plans, I've been eyeballing
Old 01-02-2008, 03:52 PM
jsmeed

ORIGINAL: had enough

-Bill
There's a guy on Ebay that is selling reproduction canopies of several Royal/Marutaka kits
He also sell re-prints of the kit plans,,, since they are long OOB I don't see harm in buying from him
He has a Oscar Canopy, Plans and Cowl also
Ebay seller "u.s.wing"

Actually he has a set of Tony plans, I've been eyeballing

I bought a set of P-38 plans from him last month. He seems to be a pretty good guy to deal with.

Just my $.02
Old 01-02-2008, 06:11 PM
bacplus

I have the plans with Formers etc. The cowl will be made of Glass. I changed the airfoil to a 23015 root and a 23015 tip. The 7% tip with no washout was not my liking. All I need is the canopy. Th retracts seem straight forward as most jap planes. I also had it enlarged to 74".........LOL!

-Bill
Old 01-03-2008, 01:55 AM
SVX

I would like to mention that I ordered a cowl and canopy from u.s. wings over Christmas. He
was very helpful and threw in a sheet of templates as well as gave me a discount on shipping.
When the parts came I was very disappointed in the quality. The cowl looked as if when the
glass was laid up all the resin fell to the bottom of the cowl. So I had probably 1/4 inch of resin
in the front and nothing back by the cooling fins. The canopy looked okay but there was so much
dust when the forming was done it looks like my canopy has acne. He was very nice and
refunded my money but I advise you guys to find another supplier. O yea, the template sheet was
a blown up copy of the first page of the manual as others have noted.... unusable.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Klaatu

Sorry to hear that, SVX. I bought three plans from u.s.wing; Bearcat, Oscar and Tony. They were all fine. I bought some canopies and the P-38 detail sheet from wflawson. I cannot fault any of them.

- Jan
Old 01-03-2008, 02:12 AM
Klaatu

-Bill
Hi Bill, can you elaborate on your changes? I have an Oscar kit. It is very old and showing its age, so I expect to do some wood replacing when I get around to building it. It was such a nice looking plane. I do not mind sacrificing a little scale to get exceptional flight behavior.

- Jan
Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 AM
scale only 4 me

Something I notice on the Oscar plans,, Full symmetrical airfoil??
Very unusual for a warbird kit, I'd have changed that too
Old 01-03-2008, 09:08 PM
jsmeed

Fiberglass Specialties has the Oscar Cowl and Canopy for sale. Seems like he's got a lot of accessories for Royal kits.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 AM
bacplus

Got the Oscar Canopy. He is one fine person. I feel much more at ease with the 23015 Airfoil with 1-1/2 Pos incidence and 3 degrees washout. NOW, the retracts will operate properly. I cut the new cores with a rounded leading edge because the Oscar had them very close to the L/E and also a cuff for the wheel similar to the T-6. Thanks so much for all your help.....

-Bill
Greeneville, Tn
Old 01-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Klaatu

Most Japanese fighters appear to have the landing gear mount practically on the leading edge. Getting very scale on my preferred size (the average Royal kit) is probably going to be difficult at best. But hey, if it were easy, then everyone could do it and the average scale junkie would be looking for something more challenging to do, wouldn't we?

- Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.