Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

coverite and dope

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

coverite and dope

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:01 PM
fly4food18
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coverite and dope

I am covering a Aeronca Champ in Coverite Super antique covering. I am not sure which dope to use. Has anyone used one this covering? Any luck? The fabric is going on so easy. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB235&P=7

After i get it doped am also wondering if i can use Tamya model paint to paint it, or model masters.

thanks
Brian
Old 01-03-2008, 09:19 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: coverite and dope

My SE5a was covered with Super Coverite Antique. Then Nitrate dope was applied over the entire covering top and bottom. The color painted portions were painted with Chervon perfect paints (custom blended). Over the bottom natural finish the roundels and number 3 were painted using Model Masters enamel and acyrlic paints. I think you can put just about any paint over Nitrate dope. You can also use Butyrate dope over Nitrate dope but not the other way around
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94318.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	841573  
Old 01-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Mode One

I love Super Coverite! I haven't tried Solartex; but, I have heard it is excellent stuff, also. On my Dynaflight SE5a, I used the antique Super Coverite and put on two coats of Nitrate. Then I used interior latex blended to get the British O.D or PC10 over the top of this with a sprayed on coat of Luster Coat to fuel proof. I have been told it's important to prime with nitrate first, no matter what is used for top coats. In the past, when Super Coverite was offered in colors, I simply painted over the top of it with what ever fuel proof colors I needed, with good results. I don't know anything about Coverites newer products; but, have seen excellent results with their products.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:58 PM
fly4food18
My Feedback: (15)

What brand of Nitrate dope did you use. The only brand i can find is Sig. Is that the good stuff?

Thanks
Brian
Old 01-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Mode One

I used Sig Nitrate dope for mine.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:04 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sig is good stuff. You can also use Randolphs or any other decent brand of dope.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Mode One

The way things are now days, I wouldn't be surprised if, in the end, all the Nitrate & Butyrate dope offered on the market today, isn't manufactured by the same company, who packages and labels the stuff for there customers. It might all come from Randolphs.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:56 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think their are only two dope makers in the USA, Randolph and Certified. I know they both sell to modelers. Both are in the Aircraft Spruce catalog. Now days I think most is from Certified as their base price is lower.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Fleet

I'm from the old school where nitrate and buyrates dopes were the only thing to put on silkspan or silk.

No days, I've been weening myself off of it for health reasons but todays selection from Randolph comes tinted non -taughtening so shrinking is better controled. Thinning with Randolph retarder will keep the blushing down in envoirments like mine. Humid and cold.

Be careful with it but it's doable.

I used to get my dopes and thinners from the local FBO but thats gone so its, Aircraft Spruce.

If I remember correctly, Nitrate is NOT fuel proof and butyrate is. Colors in the nitrates were thinned so a quart of color will last many a plane. A final spray coat of butyrate to fuel proof everything.

Ray