Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

twist in wing, i think bf109

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

twist in wing, i think bf109

Old 01-06-2008, 01:49 PM
jez33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twist in wing, i think bf109

hi all.

i found a bf109 1.6m wingspan ( 40 engine) in an rc auction and i couldn't resist.
the wings appeared to be home build from foam and vineer (no washout though) but still good quality with no instantly visible sign of warping/twist so this influenced my decision to bid for it.

i put retracts on it for a bit more realism and then took her for a fly.
on take off iff it was apparent this plane was a handful and flew much worse then any other bf109 i had. every time i made a turn to i think it is the right the nose would try to tuck under and if i banked it left she would try to right herself.… plus the trims would change at different throttles.…

the worst characteristic though is each time i used to put more elevator in she would also try to roll and this made her a huge handful to land.…

my question. … on a really thoroughly close inspection there is probably some warp but will just a small amount cause such a huge difference as ive had the odd plane that had worse warps in and still flew reasonably ? or perhaps could the stall be caused by the holes i cut into the wings to put the retracts in them?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: twist in wing, i think bf109

The retract holes shouldnt make any difference. I would verify that you have no washout in either wing. Check to make sure your stab is correctly aligned and mounteede to the fuse. also check to make sure you have the same amt of throw on both sides of the elevator. Have you tried a loop yet? If so does it rolloff to one side or the other?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:17 PM
jez33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: twist in wing, i think bf109

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

The retract holes shouldnt make any difference. I would verify that you have no washout in either wing. Check to make sure your stab is correctly aligned and mounteede to the fuse. also check to make sure you have the same amt of throw on both sides of the elevator. Have you tried a loop yet? If so does it rolloff to one side or the other?
yer the stabiliser i checked already. its is glued flat both sides and seems strong, even if it was a bit out of sink i doubt it would affect it as bad as this. … i can only guees that if its not the retract holes then the small twist it has is the main reason. funny though as its almost unnoticeable...

any one got any ideas how to press the twist out? ive tried putting weights on the wing to untwist it over a few months and its still there...