Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Grumman F-7F Tigercat >

Grumman F-7F Tigercat

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Grumman F-7F Tigercat

Old 05-08-2003, 07:08 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grumman F-7F Tigercat

Looking for documentation, and different color schemes for this aircraft. I am not having very much luck. Any body got any Ideas or do you know were I can still get the squadron signal book for it, I don't think they are producing it any more. Any Help would be be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks David Payne
Old 05-09-2003, 03:06 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Tigercat....my top choice..

OK here is what I have.

1) All of the restored aircraft are blue with stars and bars except for a Tigercat that was based in Oakland, CA with green stripes. Basically you paint the plane blue and put down white lettering, and stars and bars.

2) call Bob banka at Bobs aircraft documentation. www.bobsairdoc.com for more details.

3) Here in southern california we have several tigercats. One can be sometimes found at Palm Springs and other in Chino. Bob has pictures of both I believe.

4) The squadron in action book is ok, I have one, but not willing to sell it. If bob has a set of pictures to your liking that will fit the bill. He also has 3-views.

Good luck!
Fred Cronenwett
Tigercat nut...
Old 05-09-2003, 03:27 AM

Here is the Bob Pond Tigercat that is based in Palm Springs. Some pictures have it without noseart.

Probably the nicest one I have seen, has lots of stencils and fancy noseart.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	77001_29212.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	45840  
Old 05-09-2003, 03:29 AM

Now for the Tigercat that is rarely seen that belonged to a private collector, not sure where this aircraft is based now. I took this picture over 10 years ago at the Chino airport.

Name:	77004_29212.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	45841  
Old 05-09-2003, 03:32 AM

The RB tigercat is active at the Chino airport can sometimes be seen at the planes of fame air museum. so ignore the last reply, that is yet another tigercat (blue with marines...). the picture is correct however.

This tigercat I found at the Pensacola Air museum in Pensacola florida. once again, dark blue with markings.

Name:	77006_29212.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	45842  
Old 05-09-2003, 03:38 AM

Here is a short list of the other tigercats that I have seen

1) F7F-3N at Planes of fame in bad condition with spinners
2) F7F-3 that was at chino over 10 years ago, blue with marines markings...location unknown
3) F7F-3 at oakland airport, blue with green stripes
4) F7F-3 at Pima Air museum, Tucson, AZ. This plane is very faded and again is blue with marines markings.

I also have been looking for a colorful paint scheme but haven't found many.

There are old photos from the 60's that show the firebomber version with a belly tank.

Good luck and hope this helps!
Fred

Name:	77008_29212.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	45843  
Old 05-09-2003, 03:58 AM

Default F-7F

Thanks for the great info I hadn't thought about Bob Bankas. I am really looking to find some more out of the ordinary schemes though. I think there were a few that were blue with yellow wings and stabs and some with racing colors, or fire fighters.
Still on the hunt thanks again though.

Thanks David Payne
Old 05-09-2003, 11:45 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Blue and yellow tigercat

There was a Tigercat at TopGun this year with a blue fuselage and yellow wings. Go to Tiano's website to see pics. Hope this helps some...
Old 05-09-2003, 11:46 AM
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tigercat colors

Hi David.

Long time no see

I have pictures of most fire fighting Tigercats. You can find a lot of those at www.airliners.net, Just make a search for tigercat.

Also, there where a couple of nice all yellow versions.

The blue with yelow wings was a F7F-2D version and was a drone director aircraft.They had an F8F bearcat cockpit grafted over the position of the radar operators cockpit.

Here is my Top Gun 2003 entry. Flew as a fire fighter for Sis-Q flying service in Santa Rosa, Ca back in the early Seventies. The plane next to it is Mike Selby's from Thailand. It is the F7F-2D drone director scheme.

Click for Tigercat photo
Old 05-09-2003, 07:06 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

AMT makes a nice 1/48 scale plastic model of a Tigercat in an all yellow scheme that I really find attractive. However, it is an early Tigercat with the short vertical fin which may be different than whatever plans you are working with. I plan to use this scheme on my F7F when I get to it (may be a loooong time!). There were also some all black night fighter Tigercats used in Korea but they don't look much different than the dark blue. The restored airplane with the green stripes mentioned above used to belong to Mike Bogh and is very attractive. However, it has been modeled numerous times so is a bit overdone, IMHO.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:43 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Default Tigercat

Hi David, as you can tell from my online-name I have a rather intense interest in the big cat. I have several pics and 3-views etc of the Tigercat. In Kalamazoo, Mich they have a nice one and they FLY it on occasion. The people at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo are very friendly and helpful in research and data on the big cat.
I have not been there in a few years but I believe it is still flyable. If you need further info please PM me or direct e-mail and I will see if I can help you. Les
Old 05-16-2003, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F7F Tigercat Walkaround...

I have a complete walkaround of Mr. Brown's latest acquisition as it was about to be ferried to Chino from Galveston. There are 93 images (all shot at 1280 X 960) in this walkaround which covers a lot of the airframe not normally focused on.

"Big Boss Man "
Let me know if you want a CD burnt.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:28 AM

Default tiger cat

Thanks for the offer ScaleAero I would love to have a cd burt.

Thanks David Payne
Old 05-27-2003, 03:31 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hey DP,

Hows it goin, its me, remember the kid from Chatt Town? How is D junior - the new Fireman? Do you guys still fly at East Ridge? I can't believe I still remeber that. I would love to fly there again. Any events coming up? See Ya.\

Pat
Old 05-27-2003, 05:25 PM

I had the pleasure of visiting Chino last weekend and watching Mike Brown and Richard Bertea's Tigercates in action. Four R-2800's tucked in close sure sound good! I only wish Bob Pond had brought up "King of the Cats" from nearby Palm Springs and made it three! The #1 Tigercat from Fred's post above is still at Chino in poor condition also. The #2 airplane may be the one now owned by Bertea or it could be the one restored by POF for Stephen Grey in England. The #3 airplane, which was based at Oakland with Mike Bogue, is now undergoing a complete rebuild with the Sanders brothers in Ione, California. The Pima bird is still as Fred remembers it. Hopefully they will get it inside in the near future.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:28 PM

Default Mike Brown's "Big Boss Man"

Big Boss Man was here idle for over 12 years. I don't believe it was flown more than three or four times over that period. I found out it was sold to Brown so I shot a walkaround the morning it left. Sometimes we tend to take the warbirds we have here a little more for granted than we should... Brown said they would leave the Big Boss Man scheme alone and race it as is.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:55 PM

Ed, the only change in paint I noticed was the text "September Pops Air Racing Team" added in small yellow script beneath the nose art on one side. I'm sure it will be impressive going around the Reno Pylons. I know what you mean by taking local warbirds for granted sometimes. We just lost the entire Champlin Fighter Collection to the MOF in Seattle. Champlin has been here for longer than I have, don't know what I'll do when it is gone!
Old 05-27-2003, 11:22 PM

Default Disappearing Warbirds

Tom Freidkin's Spit, Hurricane, Commonwealth-51, A-36, have already gone to his new hangar in Chino.

I' was fortunate to have caught them on the day they were leaving Houston. I'd thought I'd have them around to shoot casually.

Enjoy them... :^)

There's supposed to be a Buffalo out your way somewhere... have you seen it?
Old 05-28-2003, 08:19 PM

Your loss is my gain Ed! I make Chino at least once a year and am enjoying the new "Friedkin hangar" at POF. I thought Friedkin moved from Polomar, CA. anyway, not Texas.

Old 06-21-2003, 04:39 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default Mike Browns Tigercat

Hey All,

Pylon racing school is in session again, Just watched Mike Browns Tigercat go around the Pylons, with both Sea Fury's. I just have to say, what an AWSOME SIGHT!!!

Should be some interesting races this year. Especially with the return of RARE BEAR. Came over my house this morning at around 450 knots.

Cant wait till tomorrow, should be a lot more planes ( I hope)