Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Tell me about the Fokker DVIII please

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Tell me about the Fokker DVIII please

Old 09-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tell me about the Fokker DVIII please

Nice looking DVIII

Looks like I'll be putting in an order for lozenge fabric at GTM
Old 05-22-2009, 12:31 PM
jwfly
My Feedback: (2)

Hi     I got a Balsa USA DVIII for my birthday from my son...just flew it earlier in May...what are you all using for the pilot figures in these planes?  thanks jw
Old 05-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

I am using Aces of Iron Busts in mine, they paint up well and look great.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
RcerMike

I haven't flown my BUSA DVIII yet. The parts were traced from a kit that I put aside. The most challenging item for me was keeping the wing sheeting nice. Try to take your time with that. The engine is a Saito 150 with the matching Saito mount. If the firewall is not backset, the already over scale length cowl will still be too short. If your interested in documentation I would be happy to send you  pics of the reproduction from Fantasy of Flight in Fla...........Mike
Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 AM
WinterHawke

ORIGINAL: jwfly

Hi I got a Balsa USA DVIII for my birthday from my son...just flew it earlier in May...what are you all using for the pilot figures in these planes? thanks jw
Many of us are using the A.H. Design Pilot Figures - one source possibly being Proctor Enterprises -but I'm not sure if they're currently available:

http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/p...ccessories.htm

These pilots were/are very light, and look pretty decent with the planes:

The Aces of Iron pilots also look good, but you'll need to break out the paintbrushes - their website has an excellent guide to painting them (I've also painted up Williams Bros. pilots using this technique with good results).

Best regards,

Lee McDuffee
Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AH Pilot figures look great and already colored...not sure if you can still get them...Proctor should give some info . on that....wish somebody would shorten the legs though..they resemble basketball players with flying jackets!

Good luck with the build..it warms my heart to hear all you WWI guys talking shop...Is any one familiar wit the Cross and Cockade books?

Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 AM
kdc

You could buy AH pilots direct from them in Britain see http://www.thepilotpeople.co.uk/
Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 PM
wings2an3
My Feedback: (1)

1/3 scale Fokker DVIII built from Ron Weiss plans. Take off with right rudder and power, land with power and you will be okay. I'm using an FPE 52 and fly's very scale like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94999.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1208543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55224.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1208544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47596.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1208545  
Old 08-30-2009, 01:13 PM
vdubman2002
My Feedback: (18)

wings2an3!...

Just saw your post and pics after doing a search on the Ron Weiss 1/3 Fokker DVIII... goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway... BEAUTIFUL job on yours! That said, I wonder if I might ask you a few things about this model:

I have a hand cut Ron Weiss 1/3 DVIII ready to build. Did you find the build difficult at all, or is it pretty straight forward? I am currently flying the BUSA 1/4 DVIII w/G26 for power and it flies real well, although there are a few little "incidence" problems... but I'm working those out. Anyway... I have a Quadra 72 for the 1/3 Weiss... enough power with some to spare? Any "quirks" on yours flying wise? Also, did you find that the parts matched up to the plans pretty well... or did you cut out your own? I should add that "American Kit Cutters" cut the kit I have to the Weiss plans, so I was curious if they were pretty accurate. ( kind of late to even mention that as I already have the kit! )

A bit of added content here: After reading through this ENTIRE thread, I saw that a few of you guys were discussing the color scheme of the DVIII featured in the BUSA online catalog, and as to whether or not it was in fact a REAL German pilots personal colors... I can tell you that it is NOT as that is my DVIII! I have always gravitated towards the German pilots who featured a lot of white/black in their personal colors, such as my 1/4 triplane ( DRI ) which is in the personal colors of Lt. Hans Weiss... ( all white! ) ... then of course there is Goerings' all white DVII, and so it goes. On this DVIII I chose to take some "creative license" with the color scheme and came up with what you see on the BUSA site. Had the war progressed, who knows... we just might have seen this scheme! The DVIII in the background is my buddy's and is correct as has been stated. Jasta 16b!... well, you just never know!!

THANKS in advance should you get back with a reply! ( and if you do, perhaps I can bend your ear a tad more on this model? ) I am contemplating this as my winter project. ( I'm in CT ) Take care!!

vdubman2002/TP
Old 09-03-2009, 01:55 PM
vdubman2002
My Feedback: (18)

A shameless BUMP in the hopes of someone "seeing" this post, such as wings2an3!! THANKS!!

vdubman2002/TP
Old 10-28-2010, 06:10 PM
vibi08

Hello Guys,

I started building a Fokker DVIII from Ron Weiss plan. I started using a kit that i bought from a friend and that was cut by a company named Precision Cut. The kit is everything except precise. Nothing fit, particularly the wing so oi trash every thing and redesign a wing set that is easy to build without having to use a plan. I self jig the whole thing so every ribs are align by another part. My only problem is that i put too much plywood in it and it is a little bit heavy but considering the type of wing used in the Fokker D8, it is not a concern. Here are some pictures of the wing at different stages of construction. The wing is made in three sections and are bolted through small opening i made under the outer wing panel. These openings are closed by small hatches hold in place with 2 screws on each

I will post other pictures of my build.I welcome any comments or ideas about what id did to these wing.

Name:	rp45008.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1,008.6 KB
ID:	1524540   Click image for larger version

Name:	aw70291.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	917.2 KB
ID:	1524541   Click image for larger version

Name:	in27920.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	879.1 KB
ID:	1524542   Click image for larger version

Name:	nh11696.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1,013.1 KB
ID:	1524543   Click image for larger version

Name:	ju14071.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1524544   Click image for larger version

Name:	zp95369.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	942.9 KB
ID:	1524545   Click image for larger version

Name:	np17639.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1,002.6 KB
ID:	1524546   Click image for larger version

Name:	po49864.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	944.6 KB
ID:	1524547  

Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 PM
John Baligrodzki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As was stated earlier the biggest out of scale thing is the BUSA cowl is way too long. I dropped my engine back to position and bought a cowl and lozenge fabric from Glenn T. Of course the next task was to get the Satio 180 to fit! Took a fair amount of work but got it in there. Baffles keep the engine cool and you cannot beat Glenns fabric.

There was a snake and Rabbit D8.

Regards,

John B.

Name:	Nl30012.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1524605   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97269.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1524606  
Old 12-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Oberst
Banned

The Fokker DVIIF is my favorite plane of WWI, But for looks the Fokker DR1 has my heart on a platter. Nice work guys!

Pete