Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Pica Spit  1/6 Scale >

Pica Spit 1/6 Scale

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pica Spit 1/6 Scale

Old 05-17-2003, 10:11 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pica Spit 1/6 Scale

any info on this airplane kit , flying characteristics, etc
would be greatly appreciated.

thankyou

Dan
Old 05-20-2003, 05:19 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Dan,
I built one a while back, and you should be aware that it is WAY out of scale. I helped mine out by shortening the nose approx 1" and lenthening the tail 3 1/2". Tail surfaces were thickened to 1/2", because the 1/4" kit parts look very thin when the model is done. It flew great, and it`s still intact because it`s been stored for the last 10 years or so. It`s darn purdy in the air!

John
Old 05-20-2003, 11:14 PM

Default 1/6 SPIT

JOHN . HOW DID YOU shorten the nose and lengthen the tail?
I bet the longer tail made it fly better. DID you add flaps and
what size engine did you use?

thanks

Dan
Old 05-21-2003, 01:38 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Dan,

Believe it or not, I did the mods AFTER I built the fuselage. I knew something wasn`t right, and it was painfully obvious when I enlarged a good 3-view until it matched the wingspan of the model. Doing it before construction will be alot easier. Just draw the new outline over the plans, use pencil. The tail addition can be scarfed right onto the existing fuse side. The nose can simply be shortened to conform to the new shape. Most important thing is to first determin the new shape, THEN modify the parts to match. It`s easier done than said. Another useful tool when shaping wood to simulate a warplane is to have a quality plastic model on hand, 1/48th scale or so. Really helps your mind see what the two-dimensional plans are trying to illustrate. Hope this helps!
I did add split flaps as well, driven with one servo through bellcranks. I also built frise style ailerons which worked out really well. The model was initially powered with a K&B .61, but a ST .80 ended up being better suited. Also, the retracts are shown well forward which will make ground handling easier, but I swept the spar forward and mounted the gear in the scale location, and angled the mounting plates to allow the struts to retract back per the full size a/c. Geeze, I did alot of stuff to this model! But it was pretty fun, and it looked very realistic when completed.

John
Old 05-21-2003, 03:41 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Pica spit

I built the pica spit back in 1980? It was built pretty much stock except for changing the front end (moved the exhaust manifold to the proper location and made a removable chin block) and adding an air foil shape to the stab (put false ribs on top of the 1/4 balsa). I wasn't very sophisticated back then so I didn't lengthen the fuse. I had Rhom Air retracts as the plan called for. I mounted them according to the plan, (not the correct position). Covered the plane with silkspan coverite (no longer available) and painted it with KB epoxy.. flew it with a Veco 61. The plane flew well considering the power of the old engine (not a lot by todays standards).. If I recall there was a fair amount of carving and sanding involved.. typical Pica..and I didn't have flaps.. If I had only known about Brian Taylor's plans back then.. now thats a "Scale Spit" !.. Hope this helps BobH.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:10 PM

Default not really scale spit(pica 1/6)

I GUESS thats why the 1/6 is 119.00. the taylor spit is well
over 200.00. I THINK for someone like me that doesn't
really care for the 4 star 40 or 60, it might be a good plane.

great in fo guys

Dan